Option to always keep attachments downloaded?

jneese
jneese
Community Member

Hi,
as I wrote in another thread I had the problem that during 1P6->1P7 upgrade the attachments (photos, PDFs, ...) were deleted and put aside as separate files in the documents section. An architectural decision that is questionable, but it is like it is... Anyway:

Is there any way to tell the App (Mac or iOS) to "download all attachments at once and keep them local"? During syncing the App just would check whether there is an updated version of the attachment and, if so, download it again. Currently, I have to go into each and every item and download the attachments manually.

This is somewhat the same problem as I have with Apple's photos app on iPad/iPhone: I'd like to tell a specific album: "Download and keep all photos". But also Apple doesn't seem to provide a solution and relies on on-demand download that leads to the issue that for the first seconds of looking at a photo the photo appears unsharp and blurry.

Why is that bad? If I need the attachment in an environment without a (good) online connection, I'm lost. I really want to have everything on my device, instead of hoping that, once I need something, I'll have a sufficient connectivity.

Or do I miss something and I'm just blind to see the obvious?

Regards
Jochen

1Password Version: 1P 7 on Mac / 7.4.2 on iPhone
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jneese

We do not currently offer a way to download all Documents on iOS. Once a Document has been downloaded it should remain cached on the device until the cache is cleared (e.g. by reinstalling the app). If the Document is created from iOS it'll also be available without having to connect. I can certainly suggest to our team that we look into other options for the future, but that is the current state.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• jneese
    jneese
    Community Member

Ok, thanks for forwarding this to your dev team. Just curious: Is my proposal something that makes sense, or am I the only one who thinks like that?

• It is certainly something that has been suggested in the past, though it has not been one of the more common requests.

Ben

• PJ1
    PJ1
    Community Member

Hi Ben, apologies for jumping into this conversation with a bit of a slightly-off-topic question but, it seems that you gave @jneese an answer to his question.
    Just wanted to ask that if I take on a 1P account rather than my current stand-alone, when I download a document is it 'actually' on my computer or in cache as you mentioned above?
    At the moment I use Sync.com for all of my important documents but would love to be able to change over to an account if I could be certain that any downloads I make are actually on my computer.
    Thanks for your help with this.
    Best
    Paul

• @PJ1

Documents will be cached on the device you added the Document from, as well as any devices you download/view the Document on. Uninstalling the iOS app will remove that cache.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• PJ1
    PJ1
    Community Member

Thanks Ben

Can I presume that if after downloading to my iPhone, I can then transfer copies to somewhere like Dropbox to keep a copy.

Also, if I do the downloads using the Mac app, do they stay permanently on my machine and not just cached?

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here but I really need to be certain whether or not I can get copies separate from the 1P account servers for keeps.

Thanks again.

Paul

• @PJ1

Can I presume that if after downloading to my iPhone, I can then transfer copies to somewhere like Dropbox to keep a copy.

I suppose you could, but then those copies wouldn't be protected by 1Password. If you don't need the level of protection that 1Password provides for them, I'm not sure I understand why you're storing them in 1Password.

Also, if I do the downloads using the Mac app, do they stay permanently on my machine and not just cached?

That is what cached means in this context. The cache is permanent - or as permanent as any other file would be on your computer.

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here but I really need to be certain whether or not I can get copies separate from the 1P account servers for keeps.

No need to apologize; that's what we're here for.

Ben

• PJ1
    PJ1
    Community Member

I suppose you could, but then those copies wouldn't be protected by 1Password. If you don't need the level of protection that 1Password provides for them, I'm not sure I understand why you're storing them in 1Password.

I think quoting Dropbox as a generic cloud service was a bad illustration. I tend to keep backups of my documents on well-protected external drives at home, and on separate encrypted USB sticks for travel, along with my iPhone (1P) to ensure that in a disaster I have copies available. But I do take your point. After years of not keeping stuff off-site - apart from using Sync.com - it can be difficult to leave some things in the hands of 'strangers'.

That is what cached means in this context. The cache is permanent - or as permanent as any other file would be on your computer.

Thanks for explaining the use of cached. That clears it up for me.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Best
    Paul

• You're very welcome Paul. :)

Ben

• mws
    mws
    Community Member

+1 for the feature request!

This is something that tremendously annoys me with 1password (ever since moving away from the ancient wifi sync!!)
    I would greatly appreciate if that can be added as an option!

thanks
    Mike

• Thanks @mws. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.