Upgrading to subscription from Sierra 10.12.6

Vikk
Vikk
Community Member

I realize the website says High Sierra 12.3 is the minimum requirement for version 7 but I read hear that 10.12.6 Sierra would work so I gave it a try. When I tried to import my vault to the 1password website after signing up for a subscription, it uploaded some but not all of the passwords and ended up getting stuck until I quit the 1Password 6 application the next day.
Today on my iMac, I updated to version 7. When I opened the app, I now see that I have 2 vaults where previously I had only one.
I see Personal (I think this is the one that was partially uploaded
and **Primary **(on my iMac)
I have 3 computers; iMac running 10.12.6 and two newer mac book pros ( 13 in and 15 in) capable of running 1password 7.
I want o sync now with my previous 1password in my dropbox.
That file is called: ****1password.agilekeychain - Is that the correct file to choose to sync?****
When I tried to sync my MacBook Pro...it would not allow me to choose that file.
I just don't want to lose anything.
I also have 1 password on my iPhones.
Am I assuming correctly, if I sync that file with my iMac, that it will in turn sync with my other devices (MacBook pros, and iPhones?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Vikk

If you sign in at https://my.1password.com/ do you see all of your data in the Personal vault? If so, please delete the Primary vault from each device:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

If you do not see all of your data in the Personal vault, where is it right now?

Ben

• Vikk
    Vikk
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

No, the Personal Vault online only has 154 items, whereas my Primary vault on my iMac has almost 1000. I believe the problem occurred when I tried to import all my vault to the online account...and the app got stuck.

The Primary vault is on my iMac and the file is saved in the dropbox, which syncs with my iPhones. I accidentally downloaded 1password 9 to my 15 in MBP and not it no longer syncs...so I hadn't been using it.

• Gotcha. Thanks @Vikk. I'd recommend deleting all of the items from the Personal vault, and then using the Help > Tools > Migrate standalone to account menu option on the iMac to perform the migration. Once all items are visible in the Personal vault then you can (and should) delete the Primary vault from all devices.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Vikk
    Vikk
    Community Member

I'll try that again with version 7. When I tried with version 6 is when it got stuck.
    On my iMac desktop version, I see two vaults; Personal and Primary. Is that where you want me to delete the Primary Vault or online?
    I'm having trouble figuring out HOW to delete it.

• The Primary vault shouldn't appear online. Instructions for deleting it from the app can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

That should only be done once you've made sure your data has migrated to the Personal vault, though.

Ben

• Vikk
    Vikk
    Community Member

Sorry for the confusion.
    I meant to say the PERSONAL vault appears online. When 1password tried to migrate my PRIMARY vault to the online account, it imported it into a new vault called PERSONAL...but only part of it migrated.

To recap: on my iMac...I have both Personal (154 items) and Primary (918 items)
    Online: Personal only....Is this the one you want me to delete or should I delete it in both places?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Vikk:

Please start by just emptying the Personal vault so you can run the migration again as per Ben's instructions above:

I'd recommend deleting all of the items from the Personal vault, and then using the Help > Tools > Migrate standalone to account menu option on the iMac to perform the migration. Once all items are visible in the Personal vault then you can (and should) delete the Primary vault from all devices.

• Vikk
    Vikk
    Community Member

I successfully migrated my Primary account to Dropbox online so now it appears as my Personal vault in both places. The Primary account in my standalone app just disappeared without me having to delete it. Was that supposed to happen?
    My issue now is that the 1Passport extension in Safari disappeared and I can't seem to download it. It is not available in the app store. As mentioned before, my iMac is running OS 10.12.6, Safari v.12.1.2.
    The extension is working properly in Firefox and Chrome.

• Was that supposed to happen?

Yes, but you'll need to delete it from any other devices you're using.

my iMac is running OS 10.12.6, Safari v.12.1.2.

As you mentioned in your opening post 1Password 7 requires macOS 10.13 or later, however, I'd recommend trying these instructions:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/524296/#Comment_524296

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Vikk
    Vikk
    Community Member

Thanks for your patience Ben. When the issue began I sent a message to support via the website, but when I didn't hear back right away I came to this forum and discovered people with 10.12.6 ARE using password 7 so I thought I'd give it a try. NOW I finally receive a message from support and they are telling me NOT to use it, but to use Password X instead, which I hadn't even heard of. So I'm torn as to where to proceed. I prefer to have the standalone apps on my iMac, and MacBook Pros. Is Password X part of the subscription plan? What is the issue with 10.12.6 Have people had problems?

If I proceed with 7 you say to delete the primary vaults on all my devices. I have my current iPhone, but also two old iPhones that work via wifi, and a couple of iPads. I see in advanced settings there is an option to "erase all 1Password Data" and "Erase iCloud Data" . Is that where I go to delete the primary vault??

As an alternative solution for now, can I go back to using 1Password 6 and will it work on 10.15 Catalina? Honestly, I'm leaving the country in a week and will be gone for almost a month. For now I just want to be able to access my passwords while I'm gone and until now I have not linked my new mbpro which I am taking with me. Thanks again for your patience!

• @Vikk

Thanks for your patience Ben.

You're very welcome. That's what we're here for.

Is Password X part of the subscription plan?

It is, yes.

What is the issue with 10.12.6 Have people had problems?

It isn't officially supported, so we don't test 1Password against it. It may work fine for you, or it may not. In the case that it does not there is little we're able to do to help other than encourage you to upgrade. Just because other folks are doing it doesn't make it wise. :)

I know for sure that anything Touch ID related with 10.12 is unlikely to work properly.

As an alternative solution for now, can I go back to using 1Password 6 and will it work on 10.15 Catalina?

1Password 6 is not fully compatible with macOS 10.15. v6 was retired over a year ago, long before Catalina, and has not been updated since. If upgrading to a modern operating system is off the table I think perhaps 1Password X would be a reasonable workaround until you're able to do so. I would not recommend reverting to 1Password 6.

If I proceed with 7 you say to delete the primary vaults on all my devices. I have my current iPhone, but also two old iPhones that work via wifi, and a couple of iPads. I see in advanced settings there is an option to "erase all 1Password Data" and "Erase iCloud Data" . Is that where I go to delete the primary vault??

No. Instructions for deleting the Primary vault can be found here:

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• Vikk
    Vikk
    Community Member

A few questions about 1Password X. Bring it is web based does that mean it will not fill in passwords on iPhone apps?

• A few questions about 1Password X. Bring it is web based does that mean it will not fill in passwords on iPhone apps?

1Password X doesn't have anything to do with iPhones. You'd still use 1Password for iOS for your 1Password needs on your iPhone.

1Password for iOS on the App Store

Ben

• Vikk
    Vikk
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

And would X and 1Password on my iPhone sync?
    I’m assuming all computers would need to be using X. I couldn’t use X on the iMac and 7 on the MacBook Pro with the updated software.

• @Vikk

And would X and 1Password on my iPhone sync?

All of the clients, 1Password X and 1Password for iOS (iPhone) included, sync with 1Password.com. They don't sync with each other directly. If they had to sync with each other directly it would be a nightmare. :) So if you make a change with 1Password X that is going to sync with 1Password.com. The next time you unlock 1Password on your iPhone that is also going to sync with 1Password.com, and thus get whatever change you made using 1Password X. Same deal if you're using 1Password 7 for Mac on another device.

I couldn’t use X on the iMac and 7 on the MacBook Pro with the updated software.

You absolutely could, if you wanted. :+1: That said, 1Password X is pretty slick, and after trying it you may find you want to use it on both computers. Either way, the choice is yours.

Ben

• Vikk
    Vikk
    Community Member

Thank you!

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.