Can't add my account

bcjustin
bcjustin
Community Member

I have come back to 1password after a few years break with it.

I unlock the 1password app on my iPad (with my master password), when I go to 1password Accounts and try to add my account, it says "A problem with your sign in" and I get the message to please check my master password. Why? I just logged in to the app with it, I know what it is. Why can I not add my account? I don't even understand why I have to add my account... Very confused here.

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOS 13.1.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bcjustin! Welcome to the forum!

The app could use a different Master Password from the one used for a 1Password account. The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

Are you able to login to your 1Password account in a browser? This would prove if you indeed know the Master Password for this account you are trying to add.

• bcjustin
    bcjustin
    Community Member

I cannot log in thru a browser because it is asking for a secret key. I have no idea what this is, that was the reason for adding the account inside the app. I can change my master password inside the app by using my existing known MP to a new one. Don’t know if that means anything or not. Can I just start over somehow? This seems so complicated.

• @bcjustin

It sounds unlikely that you have an account. What prompted you to try and add one? Accounts are for our 1Password membership (subscription) service. If you've been using 1Password for a long time, and have been syncing with iCloud, it is unlikely that you have an account with us.

Ben

• bcjustin
    bcjustin
    Community Member

I purchased an annual membership last night. Does that automatically create an account or do I create one manually? I only tried to add it because I was trying to login via browser and that prompts me to enter the secret code. Website directions said to add the account via the app to obtain the code.

• @bcjustin

I'm not aware of a way to sign up for a membership without creating an account. Where did you sign up for said membership: in a web browser, or in one of the 1Password apps?

Ben

• bcjustin
    bcjustin
    Community Member

The account is from 2014. If I go to the website, click on “find my account” and type in my email it finds my old account t registered with my email. I purchased membership last night on my iPad via the App Store.

• bcjustin
    bcjustin
    Community Member

The problem seems to be this: I can use it fine on my iPhone and iPad. When I sit down at my windows pc and attempt to use it via chrome browser it asks me for my secret code. I can’t seem to obtain that code.

• @bcjustin

There was no such thing as a 1Password account in 2014. They didn't exist until late 2015. If you started using 1Password in 2014 you've been using it without an account. When you sign up for a membership, you're provided with a Secret Key that your device generates for you. If you don't have that, then please use this page to delete any accounts you've created (this will not affect your data in iCloud):

https://my.1password.com/support

Then please sign up for a new membership using a web browser on your computer, and follow these instructions to migrate your data:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Ben

• bcjustin
    bcjustin
    Community Member

• @bcjustin

I'm not sure what you're trying to show us here. Are you saying that guide was helpful, and you were able to find your Secret Key?

Ben

• bcjustin
    bcjustin
    Community Member

Ben,

No sorry, it didn't flow well in what I was saying. Your previous post on deleting the account and re-subbing on a computer did the trick. I have it up and working now, thanks for your help!

• I'm glad to hear it worked out, @bcjustin. Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.