Seems I missed (lost) a Secret Key Change

Options
Skyedog
Skyedog
Community Member

I had used earlier versions of 1Password and persisted as changes and upgrades were made by developer team. With the release of Catalina I decided to take advantage of the newest goodies and features. I signed up for a one month free trial. I will admit I didn’t fully read “instructions” — I was interested in trying out the new interface etc. In fact, when a string of characters (Secret Key) showed up in a window I didn’t fully associate with 1Password, I was thinking scam or something else. I saved the string of characters (in 1Password!). I never remember doing anything with a Secret Key in the first few days of using Catalina. Everything seemed to work - full access to menus, it was NOT Read Only.

A few days ago after some Catalina problems that forced me to reset my AppleID; I discovered that 1Password’s interface was limited — I could sign in via the Account menu but most other menus etc were grayed out. This is where the real problem began. By this time I had a vague sense of what Secret Keys were for. So, I got the only Secret Key I ever got (or was able to find) and tried it in the login dialog. The response was [Your email address or Secret Key are Incorrect. Your Secret Key should start with A3-TSVM8A]. The Key I stored away for safekeeping began with A3-VMD2T2.

I have tried searching my computer for a Secret Key beginning with A3-TSVM8A to no avail. So I guess I need some assistance. My 1Password Password is OK, my email address is OK but I need a valid Secret Key to proceed, get logged in and begin to get efficient at using this fine product

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Skyedog! Welcome to the forum!

This could also be happening because you are trying to login to the wrong account. Can you make sure that the URL you are currently on is "https://my.1password.com"?

• Skyedog
    Skyedog
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your comment. As I was preparing to write this, I noticed a single character error in the Secret Key. I was mistaking a Z for a 2 (pretty troublesome glaucoma in my right eye). When I entered everything correctly, a banner appeared saying I was subscribed! Once again thanks, I hope things will go smoothly from here on out
    PS... I used the original Secret Key (notice the A3-VMD2T2 in my text .. the final 2 was originally a Z. Why I was sent the second key (A3-TSVM8A) as what I should be looking for, I have no idea.
    Dave

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that you managed to get things sorted :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.