Why on earth can't I put multiple lines in a text field?

Options

I get one field called "Notes", and I can't paste multiple lines into any text fields in a 1Password logon item? On what planet does that make any sense in any remote way at all? It doesn't cost you any extra to store line feeds in those fields. Why are you limiting me in such a profoundly dumb way? This has caused real problems for me several times, and I finally just have to say something about it. I utterly fail to understand why there would be such a stupidly arbitrary limitation in the product.

This also isn't strictly a Windows issue, but you've constrained me to a very tight, almost irrelevant little set of categories, so that's what I had to pick. I use this on Windows, the Mac, iOS, Android, and I use the browser plugins.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Why on God's green earth can't I put multiple lines in a text field?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ctpublic!

Can you give us some examples of what you are trying to do? We created the notes field inside an item for multi-line text, so if you could let us know what you are trying to paste and in which field it would be great, in order to have a better idea of what you are trying to achieve.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ctpublic: Could you please specify what version of 1Password app and 1Password extension that you are having troubles with?

I am able to add several paragraphs to the Notes section in 1Password 7:

Does it work different for you? Please let us know. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Ben
    Options

@ctpublic

Not at all, we're just trying to get an idea of the use case here. We have a feature request filed to allow for a multi-line password field (for storing things like SSH/PGP keys). If we were to implement that, would that meet your needs? Or do these fields need to be un-concealed while passwords are concealed?

Ben

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019
    Options

@ctpublic: I had absolutely no intention to show you that you are wrong. In your first message above you mentioned a field called "Notes", so I just wanted to understand if we are talking about the same Notes field.

Did you create a custom field and call it "Notes"? Please let us know what type you've chosen for that field then. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Thanks for taking the time to share your goals here, @ctpublic. It may seem silly at times, but if there's one thing I've learned in my years here, it's that regardless of work involved, those of us in support will have more luck communicating the need for something if we have real-world examples of why it's needed. Easy or hard, time and resources are finite and implementing one request will always come an the expense of another. The better we can demonstrate a need for the feature you're after, the more likely it is to get built. Even when your use-case seems obvious, having it spelled out allows us to be better advocates and we really appreciate your sharing. I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to the team. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No one is arguing with you, and I won't either. We've simply been trying to understand the actual need behind the demands you're making. If you'd just given us more details like we’ve asked for multiple times we could have spent this time instead advocating for this feature for you and helping others. If you'd like to give us some concrete examples, we'll still be happy to do so. You're the one making presumptions about why things are as they are and our intentions toward you in asking questions, while what we're trying to do is avoid making assumptions about your use case in order to figure out what might work best for you and others before going off and doing a ton of work and merely hoping for the best. It's not reasonable for us to spend a lot of time and energy developing and testing changes across 7 different apps (which is what would be required here; input validation, which is important for security, is a whole other can of worms) without first understanding the purpose. If we did that, there would be no hope of implementing your feature request because we'd be backed up from here to eternity with others' feature requests that we just blindly said "yes" to. I'm sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. If you'd like to provide some examples, we can discuss them with regard to the proposed feature. Otherwise, there's not really any more to be said here. And regardless, if you can't be civil, please refrain from commenting further: Forum guidelines

• gmagana
    gmagana
    Community Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

Just ran into this thread, @brenty and @bundtkate . One use for this would be for 2FA backup codes. putting them all on one long line would be a big pain. Using the Notes field, would be the only recourse, but one can't help think "there has to be a better way"

• 2FA backup codes do really bug me, @gmagana, and they are something I've brought up to our development team a few times so it's on their radar even if there isn't a perfect solution for them just yet. That said, I actually don't think the notes field is the best place for those, even if they can be concealed there. At least, not for me. I really want them as separate fields so they can be individually copied with the copy button the field and I can quickly delete one when I use it. In the notes field, I'd have to highlight one code, copy it, paste it where it needs to go, then edit the item again and delete that one code from notes when it's been used. Personally, I use individual password fields for these right now. Once I've added them, that works great for me – there's a copy button per code and when I've used one, there's a single button to delete the entire field – but it's the process of adding them where I think we could improve greatly. It's really arduous. Create a new field, choose Password type, give it a label, copy/paste one code, lather, rinse repeat for sometimes tens of codes. That's a fairly short path to a grumpy Kate. As a result of this, I have often chosen to add these to the notes, but as you said – there does have to be a better way. In my opinion, there actually is a better way already, but that "better way" comes with its own challenges that ultimately keeps me from taking that path on frequent occasion.

Despite the fact that I obviously don't like dealing with things that make me grumpy, that this already does make me grumpy is actually helpful. It's a ton easier for me to advocate for a feature I also want. Feature requests come down to (amicable) arguments in the end. At any given time, we have enough to fill an entire development cycle and then some and the ones that get built are those that I and my teammates in support can make a good argument for. They're the ones where we can clearly demonstrate why that feature is needed. The use-case doesn't necessarily impact how the feature is built. It can, but the real reason use-cases are valuable is because they strengthen my arguments when I'm attempting to serve as an advocate for all of you. We're all different, so I'm not going to be as passionate about every feature request as I am about 2FA backup codes, but armed with proper use-cases, I can still be a good advocate for them all the same. :chuffed:

• gmagana
    gmagana
    Community Member
    Options

Haha I'll be rooting for you from the sidelines. 👍💪

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement! :chuffed:

It would not be trivial to do the development work to update all of the apps to support multi-line text where they never have before, test to make sure they're validating that to avoid security and usability issues since different platforms handle newlines differently, that it doesn't cause serious issues with previous versions, etc. And since we've got plenty of other stuff that we're already working on now or in the near future that will help many more users anyway, we can use this as an opportunity to get feedback from different people about different use cases to see if "being able to simply store multiple lines of text" will actually fit the bill before we dump a lot of time into it. Listening is a lot less resource-intensive. Measure twice, cut once, as they say. ;) Cheers!

• danbrun
    danbrun
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to add that I also want to use multi-line text for 2FA backup codes. The lack of a multi-line field is the main reason I've stuck with Enpass (well, 1Password for Windows is really awful but I'd tolerate it if it had multi-line text). I really like how Enpass separates the type of field from the appearance of the field. For example, each field has a "sensitive" option that is separate from the data it holds. Different field types have defaults, so "password" automatically turns "sensitive" on while "username" turns it off, but you can override them to store data however you want.

At any rate, the lack of multi-line text seems like an artificial problem in the first place. You could just have the text field type not reject newline characters. The UI capability to display it is clearly there because there's text wrapping on long text. I can't think of any reason why you would design "text" to specifically not include newlines.

This discussion has been closed.