iPhone prompts for master password every time it has to auto fill, even when app is unlocked

ravi_kashyap
ravi_kashyap
Community Member

iPhone prompts for master password every time it has to auto fill, even when app is unlocked

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:iPhone prompts for master password every time it has to auto fill, even when app is unlocked

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ravi_kashyap: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, do you have "Lock on exit" enabled in 1Password Settings > Security? Thanks in advance! :)

• ravi_kashyap
    ravi_kashyap
    Community Member

1Password 7
    Version 7.2.6 (70206001)
    AgileBits Store

Lock on Exit is disabled.
    auto lock is set to 1 hour

the 1 password just does not work for me on my iphoneX. (iOS 12.2)
    it repeatedly asks for master password for auto-fill and just does not every fill in the userid/pwd on the login screen for any app.

• ravi_kashyap
    ravi_kashyap
    Community Member

and just does not "ever" fill in the userid/pwd

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2019

@ravi_kashyap

Okay, thanks, but that version information is for the Mac. If you need help with your iPhone we'd really need the version information from that. You can get it from 1Password > Settings (at the bottom). While you're there... In 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security on the iPhone do you have the "always show lock screen for password autofill" setting enabled?

Ben

• ravi_kashyap
    ravi_kashyap
    Community Member

I don't see that setting on Advanced - Security.
    I only see "Require Master Password" which is set to 2 weeks.

• ravi_kashyap
    ravi_kashyap
    Community Member

iphone 1password version is 7.3.1

• @ravi_kashyap

Thanks. In the Settings app, could you please let me know what you see under Passwords & Accounts > AutoFill Passwords? It should look like this:

(this is an iPad, but same concept)

Ben

• ravi_kashyap
    ravi_kashyap
    Community Member

Yes.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2019

@ravi_kashyap,

In that case it sounds like you may not have any sort of biometric unlocking (Touch ID / Face ID) enabled in 1Password (1Password > Settings > Security)? Without biometrics enabled for 1Password at all what you're experiencing is the expected behavior: the Master Password will be required each time for Password AutoFill, regardless of 1Password's lock state.

Ben

• evancox10
    evancox10
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Hi Ben, I also ran into this. It was annoying enough that I felt forced to enable biometric unlock for 1Password, something I otherwise would not have done .
    This seems like a bug, not expected behavior. If the app is unlocked, shouldn't the password fill be unlocked? I don't think it works this way on Android. Is this due to the password filler API on iOS, such that it's not possible to make the password filler aware of the locked/unlocked state of the app?

• @evancox10,

It is a little complicated. Without biometrics or a PIN enabled for 1Password we don't store what is the equivalent of your Master Password in the iOS keychain (note: this is not the same as the similarly named Apple feature "iCloud Keychain"). Doing that is what is required for Password AutoFill to unlock without prompting for the Master Password.

Ben

• Krishnaabc
    Krishnaabc
    Community Member

I think I'm noticing the same behavior, but even the app is locking automatically for me. I have an iphone but do not want to store my password in keychain. That doesn't seem safe to me?

• Hi @Krishnaabc

It has to be stored somewhere to keep the app unlocked, and the iOS keychain is the safest place. We have a guide explaining the security of doing so here:

About Face ID security in 1Password for iOS

Ben

• diminutivesloop
    diminutivesloop
    Community Member

I think I'm seeing something similar. I have Face ID enabled but from what I can tell it only works in one direction. So if I go to the 1Password app and enter my master password and then use the autofill extension it will use Face ID to unlock, however if I enter my master password from the autofill extension it doesn’t use Face ID the next time I use the extension or the app.

• I think I'm seeing something similar. I have Face ID enabled but from what I can tell it only works in one direction. So if I go to the 1Password app and enter my master password and then use the autofill extension it will use Face ID to unlock, however if I enter my master password from the autofill extension it doesn’t use Face ID the next time I use the extension or the app.

Right, so... The deal is that the autofill extension cannot store the secret in the keychain. The secret has to be stored in the keychain for Face ID / Touch ID to unlock 1Password. So you'd have to unlock the 1Password app using your Master Password, and then you'll be able to unlock using Face ID / Touch ID using autofill until the secret is again removed from the keychain (e.g. when the device reboots).

It may be possible in the future to have the autofill extension save the secret in the keychain in the future, but I couldn't promise if / when that will be possible.

Ben

• Jemi9OD
    Jemi9OD
    Community Member

Ben, thank you for your thorough explanations of what is going on behind the scenes. I've got a rather long master password and I was experiencing the same as OP; I'd reboot my phone, log in to 1P using my master password from Safari while doing pw autofill, only to be prompted for the master password again the next time. (Which will be expected behavior until such time as Apple decides to allow extensions to write to the iOS Keychain.)

Now I know that if I reboot my phone, one of my first stops should be to open the 1Password app and enter my master password there first. That'll save a lot of heartache. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, that's my "first stop" as well! Hopefully this can be improved in the future, but this is also a good workaround. Glad Ben was able to help. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.