1Password is getting in the way of form filling

Recent versions of 1password (Mac, firefox, updated to latest) are often making it harder to fill in forms by covering fields. For example signing up to a new site:

1. Pressing down-arrow now (which should fill the field with the suggested - correct - email) results in this:

Grrrr....

1. 1Password is already open but pressing ⌘-. opens a locked 1password window which means I need to re-enter my master password.

Finally 1password is open - but it has nothing to offer, as I am signing up to a new site.

I would have been better off without 1pass until the point where I need it to generate a new password.

I go back to the form, (having been on this page, writing this discussion starter) and the page has changed (presumably because I have logged in)

Now it is offering me a list of options (having ignored or overwritten, again, the actual email I want to use). I select the top one and press enter:
No good - no change in the form.

Try again: a new list of options....

Now quite frustrated (signing up to this site was going to a be a quick and casual test of the service) I find I can use the mouse to select my own email or type it in myself.

I've seen similar blocking behaviour from one password recently - the dropdown suggesting ⌘-. covers over other fields which I want to see.

There must be a way for 1Password to be both useful and unobtrusive. Can you help?

thanks,

Anita

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 or X 1.16.2
OS Version: OSX Mojave
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @AnitaMGraham! Thanks for bringing this up. Based on your screenshots, it looks like you're using two different autofill services – 1Password X and your browser. Often times, they can fight for attention, and this is exactly what's happening here. I'd suggest filling your email address using the 1Password X inline menu that's being offered directly underneath the email field. If you select the Identity item that says your name, your email should fill automatically (along with any other relevant info you have stored in that Identity item). It makes filling out sign-up forms move super quick. :)

If you'd rather use your browser's autofill service instead of 1Password X, you can disable the 1Password X inline menu. In my opinion, that takes away an extremely useful feature, so it's not something I'd recommend. Just in case you'd like to, you can turn off the setting called "offer to fill and save passwords" on the 1Password X settings page.

For your point on the 1Password X inline menu blocking a field below it, the inline menu can always be opened/closed by clicking the 1Password icon inside the field.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

To add to what Kaitlyn said, we always recommend disabling browser autofill, since it's a less secure option than 1Password, and can cause a lot of confusion ("Where did I save that..?"):

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.