Can I restore a 1Password 6 backup to my new 1Password 7 Account?

jonaszahn
jonaszahn
Community Member

My Mac died 2 days ago. I was running a previous version (6?) on the old machine with a Standalone Vault. I am able to get a copy of the latest backup file from CrashPlan. Now I installed 1Password 7 with an online account. How do I import/restore my previous standalone password vault into the new account?

1Password Version: 6 and 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.15 (Catalina)
Sync Type: ibm.ent.1password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jonaszahn! Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your Mac. Were you perhaps syncing your data somewhere on that machine, or was the data stored exclusively on that device with no sync?

• jonaszahn
    jonaszahn
    Community Member

While 1Password (I believe I had version 6) was configured standalone with no sync to any other location, I had CrashPlan configured to backup the entire Application installation. I have recovered the most recent "backup" file. But now I have 1Password 7 installed (with sync to 1Password cloud). It seems I have no way to open it or import it though. I know the password for the backup file. Maybe my only recourse is to find a copy of 1Password 6 installer, install, recover from backup, and then move all the passwords to 1Password 7 account?

Is there any other way to import an v6 backup to v7?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019

@jonaszahn:

Is there any other way to import an v6 backup to v7?

Yes, you could try this method: in 1Password 7, please try clicking on File in the menu bar > Import... > 1Password 6, and select your 1Password 6 folder to import your data directly in your 1Password account ;)

• jonaszahn
    jonaszahn
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

This is the name of the backup file I recovered: "1Password 2019-10-21 12_04_41 (1 profiles, 313 items, 17 folders, 0 attachments).1p4_zip"

Looks like I had 1Password v4, not v6. Oh dear... is there even a valid path for me? Found older versions of 1Password here: https://1password.com/downloads/mac/ I will try to open the backup with v4 and export/import. ...ok, that did not work. Getting an error connecting to 1Password Mini and v4 will not open.

• @jonaszahn

Looks like I had 1Password v4, not v6.

Because of the file name? If so that's a red herring. v6 used that same naming convention. Please try this:

1. Copy the 1Password 2019-10-21 12_04_41 (1 profiles, 313 items, 17 folders, 0 attachments).1p4_zip file to this location:
      ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/Backups
      (you may need to create the Backups folder)
    2. In 1Password for Mac make sure 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts is enabled
    3. Use the File > Restore menu to restore the backup file
    4. Use Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account

That should move your data into your 1Password.com account. You can verify by logging in at https://my.1password.com/ in a web browser and viewing your vault there. Once all of your data is there, please verify that the 'Primary' vault is deleted from your installation (1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts should be disabled).

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• jonaszahn
    jonaszahn
    Community Member

Ben, thank you. That worked wonderfully up to step #4. After restore in step #3, 1Password shutdown (or crashed). I started it up again, and 1Password prompted me for my former (standalone vault) password and opened nicely with all of my old passwords in a vault local to my Mac. Then I used "Account > Sign in to Another Account..." to import my vaults from 1Password.com cloud and I can see all of both old & new now.

I will do some housekeeping and trash old logins and then migrate the standalone logins to the cloud account.

Thank you for all the help!

• @jonaszahn

Excellent. Happy to help.

1Password shutdown (or crashed)

Ah, sorry for the confusion on that. It is supposed to work that way (it isn't a crash), but I understand that may be jarring if unexpected.

I will do some housekeeping and trash old logins and then migrate the standalone logins to the cloud account.

The key thing is to be sure none of your devices have a "Primary" vault on them once complete. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.