Annoying pop-up subscription nag

Options
romad
romad
Community Member

Figured I better get this question in while my power is back on; they may shut it off again tomorrow.

How do I stop these annoying pop-up ads in the middle of my screen that nag me to subscribe to 1Pwd7? This type advertising is not what I expect from a reputable company like Agilebits.

Meanwhile, Laura in Support sent me an email and we are working on finding my 1Pwd7 license key.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @romad

1Password 7 requires either a 1Password 7 license or a 1Password membership (subscription). If you haven't applied your license, or your license isn't for v7, that would explain why 1Password 7 is prompting you to subscribe.

Meanwhile, Laura in Support sent me an email and we are working on finding my 1Pwd7 license key.

It seems the two issues are one in the same. Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Will do, Ben. If I delete 1Pwd7 from my iMac until we get the key found, will the pop-ups stop?

• Ben
    Options

@romad

You should only be seeing any sort of messaging like this when you interact with 1Password. For example, if you try to use the browser extension to fill a login without having either a properly applied 1Password 7 license or a membership, you may see a message to that effect. But I wouldn't expect for you to be seeing such messages when you aren't interacting with 1Password at all. If you are, could you please describe the circumstances under which you are seeing these messages, and provide a screenshot of the message?

▷ How to take a screenshot

But to answer your question... yes, if you remove 1Password, you should stop seeing any messages relating to 1Password.

Thanks!

Ben

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

I only have 1Password 6 launched though 7 is in my Applications folder.

• Ben
    Options

The browser extensions are going to try to connect to the most up to date version that is installed. We do not recommend having multiple versions of 1Password installed as they will conflict.

Ben

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

OK. Thanks. Hopefully, Laura will get back to me tomorrow before my power is cut off again. Pesky winds!

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to Laura, I have 1Pwd7 up and running! Now I can remove 1Pwd6 from my applications folder.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear Laura was able to help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• noahr
    noahr
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hello, I'm also experiencing this issue. I am running v7 on Safari, but my license was purchased through iTunes, and therefore I don't have an account. How do I stop the pop-up?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@noahr:

If you want to keep using 1Password 7, you will need either a new license or an active subscription. Once you have one of them, the popup will disappear.

• noahr
    noahr
    Community Member
    Options

The iOS and Mac App Store versions of 1Password don't have licenses associated with them. Are you saying that I need to once again pay for the software? And if so, do I get a refund for the original payment?

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

@noahr:
    The price for the Mac App Store version is an In-App Purchase. And yes, whenever there is a MAJOR version update, you need to re-purchase. So did you pay for 1Password 7 through an In-App purchase in 1Password 7 or were you using 1Password 6 before? Going from 1Password 6.x.x to 1Password 7.0.0 is a MAJOR update and requires purchase; going from a 6.x.x version to a newer 6.x.x version is NOT a major update and doesn't require a purchase.

• noahr
    noahr
    Community Member
    Options

I see, but there is no longer a Safari browser extension support. So essentially AgileBits is forcing me to upgrade or lose an essential piece of functionality that renders the app much less useful. Which means it's time go back to the reviews and see what else gets recommended amongst the competition -- if I have to pay for a new license I should make sure this is the best product, right? Seems odd that they didn't even offer a discounted renewal.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Blame Apple. Apple has been making MacOS harder to program for by vendors with many excessive so-called "security" lock-downs. They have also slowly been trying to restrict users of MacOS like myself to only MAS sourced applications. I never liked Safari from the getgo and have used Firefox for the last 15 years, though I'm starting to dabble with Brave. Upgrade discounts? IIRC, they are there as I used them to upgrade to 1Pwd 6 back in 2016, and to 1Pwd 7 in 2018. Admittedly the price has gone up over the years.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@noahr:

To clarify, we definitely support the Safari browser extension. It's even included in the app when you download 1Password 7. However, you will need the latest version of 1Password if you need to use Safari, as Apple has discontinued the Safari Extension Gallery.

1Password 6 still works as usual with other browser such as Firefox and Chrome, so if you don't want to upgrade (which however we recommend doing since 1Password is security software) you can continue using version 6 with these other browsers.

This discussion has been closed.