To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Individual account to Family trial then deleting the trial results in chaos

aalmeida91
aalmeida91
Community Member

I've been using 1password since 2015.

Using an individual account I use it across all my projects and recommend it to most of my clients.

In my scenario when I started the family trial, however, it turns out my sister ended up getting a Family account so I deleted my Family Trial.

To my dismay, my individual account which I have been using and also assuming gets backed up to Dropbox got deleted!
I am assuming this is because as a legacy user they are forcing people onto paid plans, not an issue but this has

This for me now has totally screwed me over. There was no warning that my Individual account would be deleted as of a result of canceling/deleting the Family Trial and now I have lost 700+ passwords along with my OPT/s which I just migrated over.

I thought my backups would save me as I set up Dropbox sync, however:

• Turns out nothing has been syncing to Dropbox since Nov 2018.
  • The Dropbox backups are incompatible when I attempt to load them into my other 1password accounts
  • My phone is out of sync by ??? months

Really sorry to post this on the public forum, but as of now, I've been waiting 4 hours since I sent my original support email, with my phone in Aeroplane mode so what little outdated data I have left can be salvaged and I need this expedited.

My email case number is UCC-68413-148.

Thanks.

Comments

• kiwigrant
    kiwigrant
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Feel your pain bro.

Do you still see a local Vault from your original account called "Primary"?

If you go to import you should be able to import your dropbox keychain even though its old. It is at least a partial restore.

If you look in preferences >Back up - you may see where prior backs ups were made. I run a mac and the backups are located at

/Users/YouruserID/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups.

You might locate a back zip file in there from before you deleted your family trial.

Im sure there are better answers to be had from the 1 password folks. This is just what I learned during my own screwed up migration.

Remember you new personal vault may have a different master password to your stand alone vault, which will be needed knowledge if you re able to restore.

good luck

• aalmeida91
    aalmeida91
    Community Member

Mate, you are a legend! Literally could not sleep. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer and share your experiences.

From that, I was able to locate the Backups folder and then used this thread to restore the most recent Backup (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/74246/importing-1p4-zip-file-to-version-6-5-3)

As such, I was able to restore my passwords to the 2019-10-04 of this month based on the last couple of backups as listed below.

Funnily enough, the final backup was basically when my "Family Trial" was nuked.

1Password 2019-09-25 11_41_37 (1 profiles, 837 items, 25 folders, 29 attachments).1p4_zip
    1Password 2019-09-26 20_29_39 (1 profiles, 839 items, 25 folders, 29 attachments).1p4_zip
    1Password 2019-10-03 15_12_21 (1 profiles, 839 items, 25 folders, 29 attachments).1p4_zip
    1Password 2019-10-04 09_34_18 (1 profiles, 839 items, 25 folders, 29 attachments).1p4_zip
    1Password 2019-10-04 09_34_33 (1 profiles, 840 items, 25 folders, 29 attachments).1p4_zip
    1Password 2019-10-29 15_52_32 (1 profiles, 0 items, 0 folders, 0 attachments).1p4_zip

Thanks again mate!

• aalmeida91
    aalmeida91
    Community Member

Additional note: This restore process worked for me on

1Password 7
    Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
    1Password Store

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019

@kiwigrant: Thanks for chiming in! I'll follow up with you in the other discussion you started as well. :)

@aalmeida91: Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry for the difficulty. It sounds like you may be all set now, but I'll follow up with you via email as well to see if there's anything else you need help with. :)

ref: UCC-68413-148

And in case it helps you or anyone else in the future, I'll mention a few things here:

The 1Password desktop apps save backup archives periodically for local vaults, so it sounds like that's what was helpful here. Those are only removed by 1Password after a long period of time, when newer backups have been created (there will be a few going back up to years though).

Local vaults, like Primary, whether sync'd using Dropbox or not, are always completely separate from 1Password membership accounts. There is no account involved in that at all.

Deleting a 1Password membership account also deletes the data in that account though.

While it is certainly possible to setup a different Master Password when signing up for a 1Password membership account, compared to what you were using previously with local vaults using 1Password as a "standalone" app (i.e. no account), there is no penalty at all for trying multiple times and getting it wrong; you just need to enter the exact password you setup for the thing in order to access that, whether that be an account or a local vault.

Funnily enough, the final backup was basically when my "Family Trial" was nuked.

1Password 2019-10-04 09_34_33 (1 profiles, 840 items, 25 folders, 29 attachments).1p4_zip
    1Password 2019-10-29 15_52_32 (1 profiles, 0 items, 0 folders, 0 attachments).1p4_zip

This indicates that there was no longer any local vault ("profiles", in the case of a backup archive, as it can contain more than one) data in the app at the time the 10/29 backup was made, likely only a 1Password account setup in the app, which has its encrypted data backed up on the server. But again, deleting the account (which is a multi-step process with confirmations) will also delete any data in it.

This discussion has been closed.