YubiKey without NFC

Options
matan129
matan129
Community Member

Hey,
I have an Android device without NFC support, but it has USB type C OTG (it's Xiaomi Mi A1).

I was wondering whether the 1Password Android app will support the YubiKey 5C via USB connection.
According to the YubiKey's own support article, the key device itself should work, but I just wanted to make sure before buying a YubiKey.

If someone could confirm from their own experience, it'd be nice.

Thanks,
Matan

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 8.1.0
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @matan129! Yep, you'll be just fine with a Yubikey connected via USB-OTG to your Android phone (or Mac or PC!). Our current setup with Yubikey only relies on generating codes through the Yubico Authenticator app (not the Yubikey connecting directly to 1Password), and their app works with the Yubikey 5C connected to USB.

Let me know if you need any more help anytime, and have a wonderful weekend :)

• plaintxt
    plaintxt
    Community Member
    Options

@Henry According to your answer, it seems like YubiKey can work with Android. When viewing Security > 2FA in my 1password.com account, the Security Key line says "They work with 1Password.com and 1Password for iOS." Should that be updated to include Android? What about Mac, Windows, Linux apps etc?

For reference:

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @plaintxt, my answer was for our previous setup with YubiKeys, which worked through the Yubico Authenticator app (rather than directly in 1Password as it is now!). At the moment, with our new, better Security Key support, you can only use your YubiKey with 1Password.com and 1Password for iOS.

• plaintxt
    plaintxt
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, understood. I understand that a development roadmap isn't necessarily available, but I'll be looking out for updates on adopting additional support for YubiKey.

Thanks Henry :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@plaintxt: Thanks for the encouragement! I can't say when it will be available in 1Password for Android, but I can confirm that we're working on supporting Yubikey natively in a future update. Cheers! :)

• plaintxt
    plaintxt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.