Locking on display sleep

This discussion was created from comments split from: Getting 1Password on macOS to respect Auto-lock Security preferences.

Comments

• David_C
    David_C
    Community Member

I am having the same issue with licensed 7.3.2 (non-beta) on Catalina. With just "lock on sleep" checked in preferences, it locks after a short period of time with the screen still on and definitely not sleeping. I am running a mid-2012 MBP with a 27" thunderbolt display attached. Any ideas why? The old 1P6 worked correctly in this configuration.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@David_C: I'm not able to reproduce that. Can you tell me specifically what's locking? Maybe you're using 1Password X as the person who started this discussion was, as that is separate from the desktop app.

• David_C
    David_C
    Community Member

No, I am not using 1Password X. It is the current version of 1P7 desktop app. I feared the problem was my configuration using an external display so I disconnected it and tested it as a standalone laptop. It had the same issue. However, I did narrow it down to system preferences->energy saver. The older 1P version 6 with preferences set to the same "lock on sleep" would stay open until computer sleep as opposed to display sleep. 1P7 is using display sleep. This is a problem for me because I frequently leave my laptop running as a server of movies to an Apple TV while having a short monitor ON time to save energy by turning off the display. Is there a way to have 1P7 work like 1P6?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@David_C: Back in June of 2016 we changed the setting to "Lock on sleep":

Is that what you're talking about?

• David_C
    David_C
    Community Member

Yes, exactly. I must have missed quite a few updates.
    This does not work as well for me, but thank you for confirming it is not a bug.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@David_C: Gotcha. I didn't even think of that at first because it's been so long, but a colleague pointed out that it sounded like what you were referring to. We changed that because notifications for display versus system sleep are not able to be reliably distinguished. If I recall, sometimes we got a display sleep right as the system was going to sleep, and then didn't get a system one. It resulted in inconsistent locking behaviour, which, for security software is not great. SO we've gone with a different model which is more reliable, since that allows users to be able to trust that 1Password locks when it should. I'm sorry that this reliability is problematic for your specific use case, but I don't see it changing unless something changes in the OS to make it feasible to do things differently again. And even then we'd need to consider the impact on all 1Password users. I'm trying to think of a workaround that might help you, but I'm coming up with nothing. If I think of something clever, I'll let you know. :blush:

• David_C
    David_C
    Community Member

I appreciate you taking the time to give me the logic for the change. It actually helps knowing it was not just an arbitrary decision but backed by a solid reason for doing it. On the plus side, typing my master password more frequently is improving my typing skill. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I always enjoy discussing this stuff with other passionate 1Password users, though it's a bummer when there's not a solid solution. That's one way of looking at it though! Thanks for understanding.

This discussion has been closed.