Help I can't sign in to 1Password on my computer; I have the free version so no secret key!

I was told to delete all of the data on my iPhone 7 by my carrier since the cell phone service was not working, and I can't access my phone since I cannot remember the password for the encrypted backup. Furthermore, I had all of my passwords on my phone on either the 1Password app or in iCloud Keychain. I can't even access iCloud since my Apple ID was in there as well. Anyway, I have been trying to sign in to 1Password on our desktop but it will not let me since I do not have a Secret Key. In fact, it says I do not even have an account with 1Password with my email, which I know is not true. I just had the free app on my phone, that's all. Isn't there a way to sign into that on the desktop? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Help I can't sign in to 1Password on my computer; I have the free version so no secret key!

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Panthersfan2000: I'm sorry to hear that. Seriously. I've lost data before, and it's horrible. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It makes me physically angry that your carrier instructed you to delete your data. If that was the only copy you had of it, it's gone. It sounds like you had a backup, but if you do not have the password to access it -- or you Apple ID -- that will be of no use to you. To be clear, if you never signed up for a 1Password membership subscription you do not have an account at all. You would have been using 1Password as a "standalone" app on your device, with the data only there, unless you backed up or sync'd it elsewhere. Do you have your data on another device?

• Panthersfan2000
    Panthersfan2000
    Community Member

Unfortunately no. My carrier is Red Pocket, so please do not go with them. They are an MVNO and they are horrible. I have not had service for days and they refuse to give me a refund. On top of that, they told me to delete my data and did not really help me with the backup process at all. Thanks anyway Brenty!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Panthersfan2000: I'm so sorry. :( I really shouldn't have even commented on that bit, but man do I hate data loss, probably even more when it's someone else's, since when it's my own fault I can at least slap myself... If you do find that you have a usable backup or something -- even if it's an old one, may be better than nothing -- please, please let me know. Feel free to shoot me an email at support+forum@1password.com as I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

• Panthersfan2000
    Panthersfan2000
    Community Member

Hi Brenty, I actually found the password for my most recent iTunes backup! It was my Apple ID password. Unfortunately I still cannot get into my phone though because of Two-Factor Authentication, so I will have to use someone else's phone. Sigh!

• That's awesome that you found the password, @Panthersfan2000! Given you'll need to restore the backup, though, I don't know that using someone else's phone will be of much help. For one, you probably don't want all of that data on someone else's phone. Beyond, that, though – and forgive me because I'm a Windows/Android gal and may not be totally up to speed on this process – you may still need 2FA for that even if you're restoring on a different device. It's been a bit since I restored an iTunes backup on an iOS device, but I seem to recall you need to sign in with your Apple ID to do so which requires 2FA. @brenty likely knows better than I so hopefully he can chime in when he's around if I'm totally off-base.

Assuming I'm correct – and I hate to seem like I'm shoving you off on someone else so please forgive me – with that password in hand now, you might be best served by reaching out to Apple support for help. Not only are they absolutely wonderful, your data is currently stored in one of their applications and they will be those best suited to help you get it out of iTunes and somewhere where you're able to use it. If you so find you still need help recovering 1Password's data at that point, of course, Brenty and I would both be more than happy to help, but I think you need to get that data from iTunes as a first step. It's not doing anyone any good there – at least not yet – but once it's out we'll have more options open to us. :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Panthersfan2000: This is good news! Kate is correct: Apple should be able to help with Apple ID stuff, if the problem you're having now is being locked out of that. I have a good story about that, but I won't tell it here to avoid embarrassing a loved one. But suffice to say I think that Apple is a good bet in that case. :)

The potentially-even-better news is that if you're able to get past that hurdle and restore from the backup, you should be all set. I will just add the caveat that I have seen plenty of cases where the iTunes/iCloud backup/restore process did not put everything back as it should, for whatever reason, so I'd urge for cautious optimism, and hopefully you will be successful. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.