Costco login problem

LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member

My email address is not auto-filled using my Costco login, only the password field. I then have to tap “Passwords” which launches 1Password again. The Costco login is automatically displayed and when I tap it the email field is filled. Both fields should be auto filled when I first login.

Comments

• Hi @LarryMcJ

Is this happening with an app or a website?

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Logging into the website directly from “Go & Fill” in the current iOS version of 1Password.

• @LarryMcJ

I'm unable to reproduce that issue as described:

[Here's the link to the video.](https://com-agilebits-users.s3.amazonaws.com/tmp/ben/RPReplay_Final1572445890.mp4)

Have you tried saving a new login item for Costco? I made mine within 1Browser:

[Here's the link to the video.](https://com-agilebits-users.s3.amazonaws.com/tmp/ben/RPReplay_Final1572446226.mp4)

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

This only happens in iOS...using "Open & Fill" from macOS fills both the email and password fields. I deleted the login, then recreated it from the macOS version of 1Password, then tried logging in from my iPhone and it still fills only the password field. As before, tapping the empty email field launches 1Password with the Costco login displayed, then tapping it fills the email field so I can login.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

I just tried it in iPadOS with a 12.9" iPad Pro...everything works fine there as well. It's only on my iPhone 11 Pro this is happening. Everything is updated on all devices.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019

@LarryMcJ

Did you try the steps in my 2nd video above on your iPhone? Both videos were recorded on my iPhone...
    Please let me know.

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

OK...I'm confused. I realize "open & fill" in iOS uses the 1Password browser, but you've recently advocated using the 1Password extension in iOS Safari instead of 1Browser...which I do. So I removed my Costco login from 1Password, then went to the Costco login page in Safari, filled in my credentials manually, and there's no interaction with 1Password at all. It just logs me in using Safari and that's it. No prompt about saving this login in 1Password at all.

• @LarryMcJ

OK...I'm confused. I realize "open & fill" in iOS uses the 1Password browser, but you've recently advocated using the 1Password extension in iOS Safari instead of 1Browser...which I do.

Sorry for the confusion @LarryMcJ. You said in your post above:

Logging into the website directly from “Go & Fill” in the current iOS version of 1Password.

So... I'm not sure which it is. Are you using autofill in Safari, or are you using Go & Fill in 1Browser?
    My testing was based on Go & Fill with 1Browser, as that's what it sounded like you were using.

So I removed my Costco login from 1Password, then went to the Costco login page in Safari, filled in my credentials manually, and there's no interaction with 1Password at all.

If you want to save a login using autofill you need to tell autofill that. :) Instructions for doing so are available here:

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

It just logs me in using Safari and that's it. No prompt about saving this login in 1Password at all.

Right. Whether you use 1Browser or autofill it doens't work like that... there is no prompt either way. You'll only get that kind of prompt on macOS, not iOS.

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

I'm going to try a do-over with some explanations :)

1. I may have confused things with my comment about 1Browser. I only mentioned it because you said you used 1Browser to create the login in your second video. My point was simply that I see no way anymore to create an empty 1Browser window from within 1Password (yet it appears you did in the video). In several places in the forums I find recommendations to use Safari instead of 1Browser. Regardless, it's not relevant to my original problem.

2. No explanation needed for AutoFill...I've had it checked ONLY for 1Password forever...on all iOS or iPadOS devices.

3. In 1Password on my iPhone the User Agent is set to 1Password...always has been.

4. When I go to the Costco login page (using mobile Safari) I fill in my credentials and there is NO key icon anywhere on that page. My only option is to login to my account. I'd be happy to do a video of this if you need it. Normally, I do see the key icon when 1Password autofills a login or on other login pages...but definitely not on the Costco login page.

5. I've tried deleting and recreating my 1Password Costco login three times, using my iPhone, iPad Pro, and my Mac. Every time I've created the login I'm able to completely login (both email and password fields) using all devices except my iPhone.

6. There are maybe two or three more logins that demonstrate this same behavior, but without attempting a login to over 200 places I don't recall which ones they are. I was just reminded again today of this issue when I tried logging into Costco so thought I'd ask the question.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LarryMcJ: Thanks for clarifying! The "key" icon for iOS Password Autofill should be above the keyboard in Safari, but not actually on the webpage:

Somewhat confusingly though, you may see "Passwords" or just a specific login option there instead. If you're not seeing any of that though, something is going wrong with iOS Password Autofill on your device. If so, you could try the 1Password extension instead:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone and iPad

Let me know what you find.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

@brenty - Somehow I think either I'm misexplaining things or being misunderstood. After 12+ years of using 1Password, I do know what the key icon looks like and where it is. But I DO NOT HAVE IT...anywhere on the page or keyboard...doesn't exist. It shows up on nearly every other login attempt for other sites...just not for Costco. Here's a screenshot.

And I don't think using 1Password from the share sheet is the answer (athough it works). If Ben is able to login normally at Costco, I don't see why I'm not. I'm using the latest iPhone made and the latest version of both iOS 13 and 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LarryMcJ: I think the confusion is that the key icon I am pointing to is not a 1Password thing, and hasn't been around for 12+ years. Apple introduced iCloud Keychain support for filling two years ago. That's their key. Last year they added APIs so 3rd party apps like 1Password can also offer themselves as "vendors" in iOS Password Autofill as well. It's great, but it's still theirs and not ours. So we don't control the functionality or presentation. That's all handled by the OS. And I think it's the latter -- presentation -- that may be throwing you off. If you tap the same key icon as in my screenshot, just with "Passwords" following it, in yours, that should invoke iOS Password Autofill. hopefully that works, because if it doesn't you may need to contact Apple for help with whatever is going wrong in the OS. But I'm glad that the 1Password extension works for you at least. :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

I realize it hasn't been around for 12 years...I referenced that to underscore that I've been using 1Password that long and am not a newbie :) Part of me wants to just forget this and live with the problematic Costco login since I don't use it that often...but that's not right since @ben has demonstrated it works fine for him...then it should work equally fine for me.

I Just now tried my Costco login again on my iPhone, my wife's iPhone and my iPad Pro. Each one of them does the very same thing. When I tap the login URL in 1Password, 1Browser opens the login credentials page and fills ONLY the password field. That is simply not expected behavior. When I open other logins in 1Password, both credential fields are filled. In Ben's video, both are filled. Actually, we should be able to leave out the key icon from this issue since this has been demonstrated by @ben to work...so it should work for me.

If this problem exists on three different devices here, it can't possibly be a device issue. So I downloaded trial versions of two other password managers. I copied the Costco login components from 1Password directly into both and in both cases the logins worked perfectly. Can that be explained?

I tried again to create a new Costco login both manually and via 1Password...in both cases the new logins did the same thing...filled in ONLY the password field, not the username field.

Given that the only problem I'm having is this particular login...to me that indicates it's a 1Password issue. If I didn't experience it on other devices and with other 1Password accounts...then I would not say that. And the same if the problem was recreated using a competitive password manager, but it's not...they work as expected.

@brenty, I'm a huge 1Password fan...but I honestly think there is something wrong here.

• @LarryMcJ

If your intention is to use this login with 1Browser, then let's try saving it with 1Browser please, as I did in my 2nd video above:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/532576/#Comment_532576

1. Navigate to the Costco login form
    2. Fill in both your email address / username and password
    3. Tap "Done" on top of the keyboard to hide the keyboard
    4. Tap 1Browser's 'key' icon
    5. Tap "New Login"
    6. Fill in the details as appropriate
    7. Tap "Save"
    8. Close 1Browser by tapping "Done" in the upper right
    9. Locate the newly saved item and tap on the website field to open it in 1Browser

If you save the login using those steps are you then able to fill it using the following steps? Alternatively, complete steps 1 – 7, but instead of steps 8 & 9, open Safari, navigate to Costco's login page, and use autofill to fill the form. That worked for me as well.

Please let me know.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Has anyone not noticed that the OP does not have the login text input active but @brenty has the cursor active. As a 11 year 1Password user, some things still confuse me about 1Password.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/ad/ajqsu13aszem.jpeg

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

@Ben, I would love to do just this...but as I mentioned earlier in the thread...HOW do I open the 1Browser from within 1Password to display an empty URL window, as in your video? I should be able to press-hold the tab bar at the bottom of the screen, but there is no tab bar to press. I can tap on any existing URL in any login and 1Browser opens and fills my credentials. But I do not see how to simply open 1Browser. In advanced settings I have User Agent configured for 1Password Browser and the tutorial at the top of the page reminds me to "press-hold the tab bar at the bottom of the screen"...which doesn't exist. Where in the 1Password UI should I be to see the tab bar?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Sorry about the split. If Agilebits can, join them or maybe remove these two comments of mine from this discussion?

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Just an aside...but related. I just received two email notifications that a post was made to this discussion by @wkleem at 9:11am and at 9:20am. I don't see these two posts in the thread, and I've tried refreshing Safari.

• @LarryMcJ

Sorry about that, I should've clarified that point. The tab bar is at the bottom of 1Password for iOS:

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Thanks, @Ben. Sorry I didn't realize that. While I use 1Browser all the time from existing logins, all my logins have been manually created over the years, not using the method you describe.

So, while manually creating this login using the very same URL and login credentials does not work properly...creating it the way you described, works perfectly. Thanks for hanging with me on this one...I appreciate it. However, someday I'd love to know why the Costco login didn't work when manually created, and also why it wouldn't work on my other devices, or on my wife's iPhone. Probably the latter because it's a Families subscription and a shared vault login. Oh, well...another of life's mysteries :)

• @LarryMcJ

However, someday I'd love to know why the Costco login didn't work when manually created

When saving logins manually we don't have the benefit of "seeing" the login form. In many cases we don't need that, but if the site is doing anything 'odd' then we may need the form in order to make things work 100%.

Sorry I didn't realize that.

No apologies necessary. :)

Thanks for hanging with me on this one...I appreciate it.

You're very welcome. :+1:

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

"When saving logins manually we don't have the benefit of "seeing" the login form. In many cases we don't need that, but if the site is doing anything 'odd' then we may need the form in order to make things work 100%."

That makes total sense. Thanks again, Ben!

• Anytime. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.