can't import 1Password 6 data into 1Password 7

Pete Siemsen
Pete Siemsen
Community Member

I'm having trouble merging some 1Password 6 data into 1Password 7.

I have 2 Macs. They have been running 1Password 6, with Dropbox, but Dropbox wasn't syncing correctly, so the databases have been out-of-sync for several months. I want to upgrade to 1Password 7, use a 1Password membership to sync databases, and stop using Dropbox.

Yesterday, I upgraded the primary Mac to 1Password 7, by buying a 1Password membership. I moved the data on the primary Mac to the new 1Password membership. I deleted the Primary vault. Then I installed 1Password 7 on the secondary Mac. It now sees the same data as the primary Mac. So far so good.

Now I want to integrate the old data from the secondary Mac into the new, shared Primary vault. On the secondary Mac, I quit 1Password 7, started 1Password 6, and saw its old data, as expected. I did File->Export, and wrote a directory named

~/Documents/ 2018-07-28, 02_21 PM (824 items and 5 folders).1pif

Then I quit 1Password 6, opened 1Password 7, and did File->Import. It asked what I'm importing from, and I checked the "1Password 6" radio button. It opened a file-selection window. I found the above directory, but when I clicked on it, it simply opened the directory, showing its contents. I can see that it contains a file named data.1pif, but the file is grey-ed out, so I can't select it.

How can I import the data?

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Earl Rosebery
    Earl Rosebery
    Community Member

I had 1Password6 on my Mac. I purchased a membership and installed iP7 and am trying to set up a shared vault. All my data is in an old vault called primary.

The migrate instructions tell me to click on Move items There appears to be no move items button unless perhaps I'm meant to move 150 items one at a time.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@Pete Siemsen - sorry for the confusion. What you're describing is a bit of a tricky situation, since you don't have a single import source. However, unless I read you wrong, you have two data sources that did at one time sync, right? If so, it might be worth trying to figure out approximately when they began to diverge. The reason I say this is that if you just import everything again, you'll have a lot of duplicates to comb through. If you can narrow down when things started to change, now that you've already imported all of your data from one source, you could just import the portion of data from your second device that's occurred since the change. Does that make sense? If you really don't know when things started to diverge, or it's so long ago as to not be particularly helpful, then probably importing all of the second Mac's data is the way to go.

In either case, though, you don't need to do a .1pif export from version 6. Instead, trash that exported .1pif file (it's unencrypted and thus not safe to leave on your hard drive), and then, choose the File > Import option again in 1Password 7 for Mac. At the prompt, choose "1Password 6," but instead of choosing an exported .1pif or other sync keychain, we're going to import the entire database, direct from your Library file. This is the location to navigate to depends on whether your version of 1Password 6 for Mac was from us or from the Mac App Store. Here's both locations, just in case:

• Mac App Store - ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite
    • AgileBits direct - ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

If you do decide to just import some of your data, the way to do it would be this: select All Items in the sidebar of 1Password 6 for Mac, then set the sort to "Date Modified" or "Date Created", and check for how many items have been changed/added since the time when you think your two Macs' data started to diverge. Delete everything except that data by moving it to 1Password's trash, then empty the trash, and finally, make sure you Quit 1Password 6 and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), and finally, follow the steps above, so you're only importing the items past a certain date. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@Earl Rosebery - did you subscribe to a 1Password Individual account, or 1Password Families? If you chose an individual account, then there's no option to have a shared vault because, well, it's for an individual (you). You can create additional vaults for organizational purposes if you need them, but as soon as you start inviting people, you're creating a 1Password Families account. Can you clarify for me what you're trying to do specifically, here?

Primary is the name of the default vault for standalone 1Password. For many people, it's the only vault they ever have (or need). If you have both your previous Primary vault and your new 1password.com account vault already within 1Password 7 for Mac, then you can use these instructions to move your items between the two. Once everything's been moved over, make sure to delete your now-empty Primary vault by doing this:

• Click the Vault menu item in your Mac's menubar at the top of your screen and choose Switch to Vault > Primary
    • Click the Vault menu item again, and choose Delete Primary Vault. You'll be required to enter your old 1Password 6 for Mac Master Password to do this. When it's complete, you should be running only your 1password.com account. Let us know if you have any questions regarding a shared vault or anything else. :)

ref: LUI-83963-529

• Pete Siemsen
    Pete Siemsen
    Community Member

Lars, I just realized that I never thanked you for your help with this problem.

I was able to follow your directions. but I didn't retrieve the data entries that were the "delta" between my diverged databases. i don't want to bother explaining the details. The state I'm in now is that I'm sync'd, I'm upgraded, and I have a data.1pif file that has the "lost" data, so I can look in the file with a text editor if I need to restore something. I've cleaned up many records, so I don't want to pursue this any further. Thanks again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Pete Siemsen - you're quite welcome. :)

• Bowski81
    Bowski81
    Community Member

I am having a similar issue... I moved from licensed 1Password6 to 1Password 7 Family accounts. How do I import the vault data that my daughter was using on her phone (synch iCloud) into the new vault I have created for her? When I use the Import in the IOS app, it appears that there are only options for some 1Password3 type file.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Bowski81! If your daughter was using 1Password only on an iOS device, you'll want to have her add her 1Password account into 1Password for iOS (it will be empty at first, of course), and then move items from her standalone (iCloud-synced) vault into her 1Password account, using these instructions.

This discussion has been closed.