How can I get iOS 1Password AutoFill to recognize the app that I've invoked it from?

aaaaaa
aaaaaa
Community Member
edited October 2019 in iOS

"NJ TRANSIT Mobile App" is an iOS app that I open twice a day to show my digital ticket to the conductor when riding a train. You have to be logged in to your NJ Transit account in the app to access the ticket.

In the past, the app would keep you logged in for a few days at a time, but about once per week it would log you out and force you to put your password in again. When I would tap the password field on their login screen, then tap Passwords for the 1Password AutoFill extension, once I authenticated to 1Password it would show me only my NJ Transit login (which has the URL https://www.njtransit.com).

Two weeks ago NJ Transit pushed out a redesigned app, and two things have changed: Firstly, it now logs you out of the app every day, so I now have to log back in every day.

Secondly, when tapping Passwords to bring up the 1Password AutoFill extension and authenticating, it does not show me just the NJ Transit login item, it shows the All Vaults list. I can search for the NJ Transit login and then tap that row to fill the password, but this is more steps now, and it's a bigger deal since it's required daily and sometimes the conductor is impatiently waiting for you to present your ticket.

Screenshots to demonstrate:

1 - I tap the password field on the NJ Transit app login screen:

2 - The keyboard comes up, I tap the Passwords button above the keyboard (can't actually take a screenshot of this for some reason)

3 - 1Password comes up, I authenticate with FaceID.

4 - This screen with All Vaults is displayed instead of what it used to show, which was just the one login item for NJ Transit.

So I assume 1Password displays logins on that first screen based on matching URLs in your 1Password items with a domain it can get from the app somehow.

Supporting evidence of that:

I have two logins which both have the URL https://www.reddit.com/login/. When I go to log in to the Reddit iOS app, the 1Password AutoFill extension shows both, but if I remove that URL from one of the login items and then go back to the Reddit app, it only shows the one that still has the URL. Then if I remove it from that login item also, so that none of my logins have that URL, it shows the All Vaults screen, as the NJ Transit app is doing now.

So my question is: how can I find out what domain name the NJ Transit app is reporting/using now, because it doesn't seem to be https://www.njtransit.com anymore.

I thought about setting up a packet capture on my router and inspect it with Wireshark to try to determine the URL the app is connecting to when I make a login attempt, but I figured I'd check here to see if there is an easier way.

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @aaaaaa

If you tap "create login" in your second screenshot the website field of the resulting item will be pre-populated with the app's Associated Domain, assuming it has one. Which website the app is connecting to is actually irrelevant, so Wireshark wouldn't help here. Note that not all apps offer an Associated Domain, and if they do not we're unable to filter for them appropriately.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• aaaaaa
    aaaaaa
    Community Member

Ok, thanks Ben. Turns out their app does not provide one, so the URL field ends up being blank when creating the new login item. I will fill out their feedback form in the app to ask that they add it back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. :+1: If it helps, Apple has documentation on this and it's pretty straightforward:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/password_autofill/setting_up_an_app_s_associated_domains

• aaaaaa
    aaaaaa
    Community Member

Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of brenty, you are welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.