Using 1Password 7 Mac and 1Password X on Chrome

Options

I have 1Password 7 (last release) installed on my Mac for a while.
I installed yesterday extension on Chrome that is 1Password X (I have no other choice).
Everything is running well on Chrome.
When clicking on 1Password on my Mac menu bar I got a window with the following message : "Add 1Password to Google Chrome" which is not understandable for me as I already run 1Password on Chrome.

Is there any explanation to this behavior ? What should I do ?

Thank you by advance.
Regards.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• There are two different extensions avialable, @smellup – one is 1Password X which works all on its own in your browser without any need for the desktop app, while the other is called 1Password extension (desktop app required) because (as you might guess), it's a companion to the desktop app and requires a hand to work its magic.

While 1Password X is designed to be used on its own, you absolutely can use it alongside the desktop too, if you want. In fact, that's what I do myself on Windows. I still prefer doing certain things in the desktop app, but I also very much prefer 1Password X's filling experience so I decided to use both. You will find that mini on your menu bar suggests installing 1Password in Chrome still – it doesn't know 1Password X is there since 1Password X isn't talking to 1Password for Mac – but that doesn't mean you have to switch. You can still search for any item you need in that window, it will suggest relevant items to you when Chrome isn't the frontmost app and, of course, you can still use the desktop app itself too. :+1:

• smellup
    smellup
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @bundtkate for your prompt and very clear answer. It means that I must not consider the message and use the desktop app if I want to.
    In video "Get to know 1password X" we can see a settings option "Integrate with 1Password for Mac".
    Is there any link with my question as this option is not proposed in my 1.16.2 version ?

Kind regards.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@smellup:

That feature is currently available in 1Password X beta, it has not been added to the stable version of 1Password X so it's normal that you are not seeing it :)

• smellup
    smellup
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.
    I will wait for.
    Regards

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We're happy to help, @smellup! It'll be worth the wait. :chuffed: