My password gets into my personal vault online, but not my primary (which has most of my pw's)

airwalker
airwalker
Community Member

I am locked out of all of my devices (desktop app, ext, and iPhone), but I can still log in to 1password.com, however, it only shows me my personal vault (a small percent of the whole). Perhaps my primary vault synced to the cloud, but how do I get access back? I am really frustrated that after a twitter conversation that didn't help, no one has gotten back to me. I need access to my passwords. Now.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I've requested and requested. How do I get someone to help me log in?

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hello @airwalker

That Primary vault is not connected to your 1Password membership. It is an old standalone vault from prior to switching over to a membership. The important part here is that it can have a different Master Password than the one used for your membership. Can you remember what that could possibly be? It is the one required to unlock your 1Password apps.

• airwalker
    airwalker
    Community Member

I've tried all of the ones I have listed. I guess I could try them again. Is that the only solution? Thanks, Judi

• airwalker
    airwalker
    Community Member

Why did it just suddenly stop working after all of this time? Shall I just delete the account or at least the primary vault?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

@airwalker Are you absolutely certain you are entering the right thing? You don't have Caps Lock turned on or something like that? Or just mistyped somehow?

Your Master Password unlocking 1Password is a straight mathematical function. It's either right or it's not, there is no ambiguity here. 1Password can no more arbitrarily decide to not accept a correct Master Password than the lock on the front door to your house can arbitrarily decide to stop accepting the key you use to unlock it.

• airwalker
    airwalker
    Community Member

IT accepts one password on 1password.com, but not on my devices. I have tried all of the pw's I have used in the past and can't find one that works. I'm feeling I should give up and start over.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@airwalker There is, unfortunately, little we can do in these situations as Master Passwords cannot be reset or retrieved. If your 1Password membership is safe, you can continue to use that and put all your data there moving forward. That's generally what we recommend people with memberships do as keeping old Primary vaults tends to cause issues like these.

I know it sucks to lose data, so shoot us an email at support@1password.com with your forum username and a link to this thread and then come back and post the Support ID you were given here and we'll see what we can do to help soften the blow.

• airwalker
    airwalker
    Community Member

What about the data that is in the Cloud. That's where my primary vault is held.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@airwalker as I mentioned before, that Primary vault is not held in our cloud service. It may be held in some other service, such as Dropbox or iCloud, but not ours as Primary vaults are standalone vaults. What should have happened was, when you first switched over to a 1Password membership, the data from that Primary vault should have been migrated over to the Personal vault that is connected to your membership. But that seems to not have happened for some reason.

To get into any more specific details about where exactly that data is, we would need to go to a more private channel than this public forum, such as through email, like I suggested earlier.

Unfortunately, though, if you don't have the correct Master Password, the data in that Primary vault is inaccessible. But, again, there might be things to try, but they would need to be conducted over email as we can't be dealing with private information here.

• airwalker
    airwalker
    Community Member

But no one has contacted me via email even after I contacted them two days ago. ...and whatever happened to the good 'ol phone?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@airwalker - telephone and "live chat" screen-sharing isn't available for 1Password technical support, but we're happy to continue assisting you right here or via email if that's OK with you. If you've emailed us as well, one of us should be with you as quickly as possible. I'm not seeing anything from you in our email inbox from the email address you used to register for this forum. Did you perhaps email us from a different address? (don't post any email addresses here; this is a public forum).

Regardless of the email address you used, you should've received an automated reply from our BitBot assistant. In it, there should be a Support ID number. Please post that number here, so we can "connect the dots" and get you the best help in the quickest way possible.

• airwalker
    airwalker
    Community Member

The person I tweeted with gave me a support number which I used to submit an email request for assistance. I did not receive a bot response. I have used the same email as well and check it to be sure. If this isn't going to help, just let me know and I'll try another PW manager or delete part of my account with 1password. As you can see, I'm very frustrated.

• airwalker
    airwalker
    Community Member

[#LDB-15854-579]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you! I confirm that I was able to locate your message in the system. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible :)

ref: LDB-15854-579

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@harczuk: Thanks for the kind words. Certainly we'd like it if people didn't lock themselves out of their own data, but it isn't really possible for us to stop people from doing that. Saving the Master Password to disk would work I guess, but it's not secure, so we're not going to do it. Otherwise 1Password would be no more secure than using a notes app to save sensitive information. Part of the signup process is telling the user to use the same Master Password they have been specifically to avoid this kind of confusion, but we can't reasonably force people to do that because it's also good to use a stronger one when feasible. Forgetting the password(s) they choose to unlock 1Password itself is one of the few things we can never help anyone with, or we'd be in a position to help anyone gain access to 1Password users' data, and that's not something anyone wants. It's not a 1Password problem but rather one of the human condition: we all make mistakes. I've done that with my own Master Password, and have no one else to blame but myself.

• Thanks for the feedback, @harczuk. The difficulty is that we give people choices. That is a double edged sword. :) We could avoid most of this trouble by making it a mandatory part of the upgrade process to remove the 'Primary' vault and to do that automatically. We've taken steps to come much closer to that. But some folks intentionally keep this vault, for whatever reason, and that causes problems like this. We can only push people so hard to delete it. :( Keeping the Primary vault is by and large the reason people have this kind of trouble.

Ben

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

@harczuk:

There should only be 1 master password.

Indeed, and that's why we recommend in our documentation to use the same Master Password you already know. Unfortunately after that point we have no control on what the user chooses to do: if they choose a different one they are free to do it.

This discussion has been closed.