1Password 7 deliberately breaking 1Password 6 functionality (crashes; browser plugin support)

Options
jvivs
jvivs
Community Member

I have been a paid customer of 1Password since 2008 and have paid for multiple licenses on iOS and macOS for multiple people throughout that time.

Since the release of 1Password 7, AgileBits appears to be deliberately breaking legacy installations for previously paid licenses for 1Password 6.

1Password 6 for macOS has mysteriously started crashing multiple times per day. I can no longer use the browser plugins (safari, chrome) that previously worked with 1Password 6, depriving me of functionality I paid for multiple times over through various previous version licenses.

When will the crashes be addressed and how can I restore the browser integration functionality I paid for with my previous purchases?

Unaddressed, these issues both interrupt my workflow as well as fundamentally undermine confidence in engineering and business practices at AgileBits.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:broken browser pugin

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @jvivs! I'm sorry for the trouble. 1Password 6 for Mac was retired into legacy status when version 7 was released in late May of 2018. It hasn't received any development attention since that time, and it won't, with the exception of critical security updates. Over time, if you continue to update other parts of your system such as macOS itself and your browser(s), compatibility with version 6 will inevitably decrease as new technologies are implemented and 1Password 6 remains as it was in May 2018.

With regard to Safari in particular, that process has already begun: if you've updated to Safari 13 already, 1Password 6 for Mac will not work with version 13. For now, Chrome and other browsers (Firefox as well as Chrome variants like Vivaldi) should still work with 1Password 6 for Mac, but that won't be the case indefinitely either. We're happy to try to help you use what you have, but we can't make promises about legacy versions' long-term compatibility with newer versions of OS, browser and related technologies, and we can't recommend using any legacy version of 1Password - or any of your mission critical security infrastructure, including browser(s) and OS - as a reliable long-term solution.

I did notice that you listed 6.8.8 as your version of 1Password -- the final version of 1Password 6 for Mac was 6.8.9, and you should definitely upgrade to it if you haven't done that yet. Try that first and let us know what you discover.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jvivs:

Wow. Wait, really? You just moderated my response?

This can happen sometimes when a new account on the forum exhibits some traits that the forum software considers spam. I have manually accepted your message so it now appears ;)

As Lars explained in his post above, 1Password 6 is not under development anymore. All of our efforts moved to 1Password 7. You are not forced to upgrade, but if you kept your OS up-to-date, it's recommended to keep everything up-to-date, including 1Password (which is security software, so it certainly benefits from all the security fixes).

Have you tried following Lars advice on how to fix your issues? Here they are again for your convenience:

I did notice that you listed 6.8.8 as your version of 1Password -- the final version of 1Password 6 for Mac was 6.8.9, and you should definitely upgrade to it if you haven't done that yet. Try that first and let us know what you discover.

This discussion has been closed.