Weirdness Today

romad
romad
Community Member

I use Firefox 60.9esr and it worked fine with the 1Pwd extension this morning. However, when I launched Firefox this afternoon, 1Password 7 through up this error:
(https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/z1/r827kl7wj5y8.jpeg)

The only way I could fix it was to go to Firefox>Tools>Add-ons>Extensions, delete 1Pwd Extension 4.7.5.90, then have 1 Password reinstall same extension.

Has anyone else reported this happening to them?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@romad: I haven't heard of that happening, and can't imagine why unless something is actually wrong with Firefox. That said, version 60 is freaking old, even for ESR. Current ESR for Firefox is 68 I believe. I'd recommend updating to at least that, if you're not going to run the actual current Firefox, as otherwise you'll be vulnerable to known unpatched security issues being outdated. Give that a try and let me know how it goes.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Yes, I've downloaded 68.1.0esr.dmg, just haven't finished researching any cons. I thought of something this morning that was different between yesterday morning and afternoon: I had connected an external drive with an old CCC clone of El Capitan. Might that have confused 1Password 7?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@romad: Yes it could! If there are multiple copies of 1Password accessible to macOS, it (launchd) may be running the wrong one. And if it is running it off of your backup drive, it will not be running from the system /Applications folder, which will hit a sandboxing restriction and not be able to connect to the browser (which should also be in the system /Applications folder) to verify its identity. So, if you disconnect the drive(s) with extra copies of 1Password and reboot, I bet it will work as expected, since both 1Password and browser will be running from /Applications. Whew!

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Even though my internal drive was designated as the start-up drive? Or was it because of the disconnect with the internal being High Sierra + 1Pwd7 + Firefox 60.9esr and the clone drive was El Capitan + 1Pwd6 + Firefox 60.9esr?

Previously the clone had always been connected when the internal drive had El Capitan + 1Pwd6 + Firefox 60.9esr without a problem. Last night the scheduled task ran so the clone should have High Sierra + 1Pwd7 + Firefox 60.9esr now.

And what about my Time Machine drive, any problems leaving it connected now that I have 1Pwd7 installed on my iMac?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Even though my internal drive was designated as the start-up drive?

@romad: It would be because of that. The "system" /Applications folder is on the drive the OS is running off of. Having 1Password -- or the browser -- running off of another drive would inherently mean they are not running from the system /Applications folder.

Or was it because of the disconnect with the internal being High Sierra + 1Pwd7 + Firefox 60.9esr and the clone drive was El Capitan + 1Pwd6 + Firefox 60.9esr?

That shouldn't make any difference. launchd just runs whatever it runs.

Previously the clone had always been connected when the internal drive had El Capitan + 1Pwd6 + Firefox 60.9esr without a problem. Last night the scheduled task ran so the clone should have High Sierra + 1Pwd7 + Firefox 60.9esr now.

I am not sure what logic there is behind it. It's not a new thing.

And what about my Time Machine drive, any problems leaving it connected now that I have 1Pwd7 installed on my iMac?

I haven't seen any reports of that being an issue, I believe because Time Machine volumes are not regular storage, though I don't know enough details to explain it well.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

@brenty: It would be because of that. The "system" /Applications folder is on the drive the OS is running off of. Having 1Password -- or the browser -- running off of another drive would inherently mean they are not running from the system /Applications folder.

Except that both 1Pwd7 & Firefox were running on the internal startup drive; the external clone was just connected via FireWire. 😕

Oh, well, it didn't "hiccup" today so hopefully with CCC overwriting El Capitan & 1Pwd6 with High Sierra & 1Pwd7 on the clone last night fixed it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

It's good to hear that everything worked fine today :+1: :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@romad: Unless there's something else you didn't tell me, macOS was running 1Password off the backup drive; hence it could not communicate with the browser running from the /Applications folder on your boot drive. I'd suggest excluding the 1Password app from CCC backups if you're going to leave that drive connected. Otherwise it will likely happen again. Not the end of the world, but a bit of a nuisance. :+1:

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

@brenty: The external clone drive had El Capitan and 1Password 6 on it at the time; the internal drive had (and still has), High Sierra and 1Password 7 on it. The "About This Mac" said at the top "macOS High Sierra". So you are saying that the booted internal drive might have somehow launched 1Password 6 on the external drive? That is definitely a weirdness! Anyway, as I said yesterday, it didn't "hiccup" today so hopefully now that El Capitan & 1Pwd6 having been overwritten on the external drive with High Sierra and 1Pwd7 by CCC, the issue won't reoccur. Thanks again for all your help.

Oh, btw, is it my imagination that in 1Pwd7, after clicking the AutoFill button, the Enter/Send command is no longer sent as part of the process? I looked for a setting about that but didn't see one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So you are saying that the booted internal drive might have somehow launched 1Password 6 on the external drive?

@romad: No, not quite. The OS version doesn't matter. This is a macOS issue going back years, to whenever launchd was introduced (I forget exactly when). Regardless of which macOS is running, its launchd process which is in charge of launching other background processes (which is how 1Password works in your browser/menu bar even if you don't leave the main app open) automatically, but it does not discriminate: it has an ID for 1Password to remember to launch it, and it can and will launch any copy of it from any connected drive if there are more than one. So it's macOS/launchd on your boot drive running 1Password off of your backup drive, which is definitely not in your system /Applications folder, which therefore results in it being unable to connect to the browser due to sandboxing restrictions.

That is definitely a weirdness!

I agree completely! :lol:

hopefully now that El Capitan & 1Pwd6 having been overwritten on the external drive with High Sierra and 1Pwd7 by CCC, the issue won't reoccur.

If you have a copy of the 1Password app on the backup drive, and the backup drive is mounted in macOS, it can definitely reoccur. That's why I suggested excluding it from the backup. You can always download the app again from our website if needed.

Anyway, just glad that all is well for now, and hopefully you'll take my advice to make sure it stays that way. ;)

Oh, btw, is it my imagination that in 1Pwd7, after clicking the AutoFill button, the Enter/Send command is no longer sent as part of the process? I looked for a setting about that but didn't see one.

If you mean the old autosubmit feature, that is correct. Apple has made it clear that that behaviour (apps sending keystrokes to the browser, which I don't disagree with) is no longer permitted going forward, so we removed it. 1Password is able leave the password field focused after filling on most websites though, so you can usually just press Return to submit the form instead. Cheers! :)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

@brenty: OK, I did a search on the external drive and found the 1Password 7 application in the Applications Folder of the clone. I deleted it, and unchecked the 1Password 7.app file in my CCC Scheduled Task. Hopefully it won't be reinstalled by CCC, but I'll check the next few days.

HOW do you do the text quoting in the forum? I've looked for a quote command, tried highlighting the text and tried different key commands, etc. Is that just for staff use?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@romad:

HOW do you do the text quoting in the forum? I've looked for a quote command, tried highlighting the text and tried different key commands, etc. Is that just for staff use?

No, anyone can use quotes here. Just add a ">" symbol before the text you want to quote :)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

@ag_ana: Thanks! It certainly would be nice if all the vendors of forum software would standardize certain basic functions like quoting! A "quote" icon & command in the formatting area above the comment box is probably the most universal currently; maybe you can suggest it to your forum vendor.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

@romad:

Thank you for the feedback! If you prefer to use a button instead of the markdown symbol, the button that you are looking for is already available here in the forum:

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

@ag_ana: Thanks! I missed that when I was looking; didn't scroll down far enough.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

No worries at all :)

This discussion has been closed.