1pw on multiple devices. Setting up new iPhone using old iPhone. Simple question.

ClickCardo
ClickCardo
Community Member
edited November 2019 in iOS

I have Mojave and Windows 10 computers. I have old iPhone and new iPhone. All devices sync with 1password.com and have latest app except for new iPhone. I'm going to transfer my apps/data to new iPhone using iMazing Transfer To Another Device wizard with customization.

I think I should just uninstall the 1pw app from old iphone before transfer to new iphone then install 1pw on new iphone like it's a new device. After everything on new iphone is ok I would Erase All Content And Settings on old iphone. Regarding not losing license and pw data considerations is that the way I should do it? If not then how?

Thanks

PS: iMazing said to Not Erase Device and 1pw would transfer over fine. Needless to say I think regarding 1pw I'd like to hear something hear first.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: multiple
Sync Type: 1password.com
Referrer: forum-search:Using iMazing on Windows 10 to transfer from iPhone 8 to iPhone 11 both iOS 13.2

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ClickCardo: If you've got all your data in a 1Password membership account all you need to do is sign into the account in 1Password on any new device. There is no need to use any third party software to transfer 1Password data. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yes, that was my original plan. What I really wanted to know was what to do with the 1PW app on the OLD PHONE BEFORE using my 3rd party utility to transfer some of my other apps/data and BEFORE Erase All Contents And Settings on it (OLD).

@ClickCardo: I don't understand why a 3rd party utility is involved, or why you need to do something with the old phone before setting up the new one. I think I was clear in my comments above that none of that is necessary or recommended with regard to 1Password, though it's certainly your prerogative to do what you like with your devices. Can you clarify?

Opening 1pw Settings->Accounts I see I can Sign Out from 1pw.com cloud account. Check. Can I then DELETE the 1PW app like any other so it does not get transferred?

You can delete it if you want to. I just don't see what that accomplishes.

Can I then assume Erase All Contents And Settings on OLD iphone is totally 1pw secure when I trade it back to the carrier?

That's correct. Your data in 1Password is encrypted. The OS similarly encrypts each app's sandbox separately. And the storage itself is also fully encrypted. Using the erase option destroys all of the encryption keys held by the OS, so it is not recoverable. But ultimately it isn't really a 1Password question, and Apple already has good documentation on the subject which I'd recommend:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (Apple)

And also more general documentation about iOS Security, if you're interested.

As far as 1Password, all of your data is encrypted with "keys" which only you know/possess, and with a 1Password membership account all you need to do on a new device is sign in to access your data. It's really that simple. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.