Autofill asks for Master Password, does not unlocks Face ID/Touch ID

svh1985
svh1985
Community Member
edited September 2019 in iOS

Hi There,

Sometimes when I autofill a password in iOS Safari it asks for the Master Password, thats fine and as designed I guess.
But if I then, within seconds or minutes, login again I need to fill in the Master Password... again >_< . Same applies if I open up the 1P app itself, again asking for the Master Password.

My expectation is that once I entered the Master Password, I can use Face/Touch ID for two weeks, no matter if I used the autofill or the 1P app.

This is something I already have for a long time across multiple app and iOS versions.

br

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @svh1985

To activate biometric unlock within the Password AutoFill feature the main 1Password app has to be unlocked using the Master Password. Once that has happened once you should be able to use biometrics with Password AutoFill until the timeout is reached, the device is rebooted, or biometrics fail for any other reason. This is a limitation of what we're able to have the Password AutoFill API do. Hopefully in the future we'll be able to make it such that unlocking Password AutoFill with the Master Password will activate biometrics if enabled, but that technology doesn't exist yet.

Thanks!

Ben

• svh1985
    svh1985
    Community Member

@Ben

Okay, lets hope that will be possible soon!

Thanks for you quick answer!

• Fingers crossed. :) You're welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• fredonline
    fredonline
    Community Member

This has plagued me for months. You really need to put this in the Autofill instructions! About ready to spit nails at 1Password, seriously.

How are we supposed to know that we have to signin to the app, for Autofill to work correctly?

I was just using it on my iPhone. I had to signin with the master password 3 times in a row, within 5 minutes. Grr. Double-checked the security settings and it says it will use Face ID, but does it?

Nope.

you. need. to. say. this. in the instructions!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fredonline! Welcome to the forum!

We mention this behavior in our documentation page for password autofill, under the Get Help section of the page. Here is the quote from it at the time of writing:

If you can’t use Touch ID or Face ID with AutoFill, open the 1Password app and enter your Master Password to unlock it.

And thank you for your feedback about how to improve this :)

• fredonline
    fredonline
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

OK, I did read that page. The first part, talking about setting it up. After it asked for my password for the 3rd time, I looked at that page and confirmed it was set up properly. The next section was about using it - which I already knew, so I stopped reading.

The part about it only working if you open the app first? That is past the next section about using it, which I already knew. And it is kind of vague: If you can’t use Touch ID or Face ID with AutoFill - instead of - iOS requires you to open the app and sign in periodically, otherwise Face ID or Touch ID will not work, and the master password will be required each time you use 1Password. That would be clearer.

It wasn't just Face ID/Touch ID - I actually had to enter the master password, 3 times in 5 minutes. Hence my frustration.

I had no reason to read past that to the third section and did not see this. It should be a "Tip" at the top. Which I did read, but which did not contain that information.

This statement is not true:

From now on, you’ll be able to fill and save passwords, without ever opening the 1Password app.

Now I know that I have to open it once in a while, to keep everything working.

Look, I've been using 1Password for quite a while, and it rocks on the Mac. I just thought it was broken on iOS, after looking repeatedly at the settings, and yet still it did not work properly. I had just had enough of its behavior and went looking, again, for answers.

I doubt I'm the only one that didn't know this.

Lest you think that I don't like 1Password, I actually love it. I used LastPass for many, many years and switched to 1Password because it seemed to work smoother on the Mac and iOS.

I recommend it to my clients that need a password manager (and who doesn't?).

I just don't want someone else to go through this frustration.

Thanks!

Fred

• @fredonline

We'd very much like for this behavior to not be the case, but there are some significant challenges in solving the problem. It is something our development team is very aware of though, and would like to fix. If it doesn't appear a fix is forthcoming I'll push our documentation team to make this more explicit there, but for now I think the better approach would be to focus on removing the restriction, rather than documenting it better.

Thank you for your passion on this issue. We agree that it could be better.

Ben

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member

Is there a way to switch to the 1Password app from within the autofill extension? I'd much rather be switched to the main app to put in my master password so I don't have to do it again so soon.

(Except with the 13.2 app purging bug, but hopefully that's fixed in 13.2.1!)

• Hi @deviantintegral

I'm not aware of a way to have the 1Password app launch based on interaction with autofill. We can bring up a 1Password generated UI within autofill, but that is not the same as launching the 1Password app. Ideally, in the future, autofill would be able to store the secret in the keychain such that subsequent unlocks can be performed with Touch ID / Face ID (if enabled).

Ben

• Rupp
    Rupp
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Allow me to add my 2 cents.

I purchased an iPhone 11 Pro Max today. restored it. Preferences in 1Password are set to allow facial recognition as they were on my prior phone, an iPhone X. Face recognition doesn't work in the app (yes I entered the password manually and successfully. It doesn't work from within Safari either. Running iOS 13.2

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Rupp:

Are you able to use Face ID to unlock your device?

• Rupp
    Rupp
    Community Member

Yes

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Rupp:

Thank you for the confirmation. Please try the following:

1. Turn off Face ID in 1Password > Settings > Security, then turn it back on again.
    2. Try resetting Face ID on your device. Open the Settings app and tap Face ID & Passcode > Reset Face ID. Then tap Set up Face ID to set it up again.
  • Rupp
    Rupp
    Community Member

Yes

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you! Please let us know how it goes ;)

• Rupp
    Rupp
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

It worked. Interesting to know why, but thanks. I’ll post again if the problem reappears.

Unlike the older phone or iOS, there is no icon to suggest that facial recognition is working. It just does. Faster processor?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Rupp:

Unlike the older phone or iOS, there is no icon to suggest that facial recognition is working. It just does. Faster processor?

Possibly yes. I haven't had the chance to try the latest iPhones yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if performance improved there :)

This discussion has been closed.