How can I tell 1Password to ignore a form field?

Hello,

On several websites where I want to use 1Password, it autofills form fields it shouldn't be.

The worst example of this is on some internal company software where it tries to autofill the search bar with my credit card information.

How can I tell 1Password to ignore certain form fields? I haven't found anywhere in the apps to allow for this, so if I have to set certain parameters on the form field or call JavaScript on the page I don't mind writing a script to do that. I just need SOME way of telling it not to autofill those fields!

Please let me know how I can achieve what I want!

I am using the latest 1Password extension for Firefox, but have had the same problem with the Brave extension as well.

Thank you,
Alexandra

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Naravia! I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. It's alarming to me that 1Password X would want to fill anything into a search bar. We honestly try to avoid those at all costs. If you wouldn't mind, it would be helpful to see the HTML of the field so we can work on improving the filling experience for you. To see that, you can right click the field and select Inspect in the context menu. Taking a screenshot of the code in the console that pops up should help us get to the bottom of it. The first thing I'd look for is if the word "number" is in that field's code. 1Password X takes that as an indicator that you may want to fill a credit card, but I wouldn't think that would apply to a search field.

We did recently release a new feature in the 1Password X beta that allows you to ignore fields on a certain page, however it doesn't dial down to specific fields (although that's a great idea and we may be interested in that type of granularity in the future). On top of that, we also rewrote the filling algorithm for 1Password X, which is also available in the current beta (1.17.2). I'd be curious if 1Password X still wants to fill the field in the beta. If you're interested, you can install it in Firefox here. If you do, please let me know if 1Password X behaves any differently in the internal software.

• Naravia
    Naravia
    Community Member

Hi Kaitlyn, thank you for the detailed reply!

I'll definitely check out the beta, that sounds like it might be a suitable workaround for me.

Three of the fields I'm having trouble with are these: https://gist.github.com/Evairfairy/1e68061e439bd463b8bd870bdc2c237a

• Naravia
    Naravia
    Community Member

Unfortunately, I can't seem to download that extension. Every time I try it just says "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure."

https://drive.google.com/a/nara.gg/uc?id=1r9VIKx3gMOQSdjWd_3XiN427IIzj4o3J shows what I mean

I tried setting xpinstall.enabled=true in my about:config but it's still not working 😢

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Naravia:

Can you please try these troubleshooting steps and see if they help you install the extension in Firefox?

• Naravia
    Naravia
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_ana that let me install it!

@kaitlyn unfortunately the link you gave me is beta 1.17.1 which doesn't seem to have the ability to ignore fields on a page, and also still tries to autofill the problem fields I described 😔

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Good catch, @Naravia! I know there were some issues with the beta updating on its own. Can you try clicking the Check for Updates option in the following screenshot? That worked for me to update to 1.17.2.

You can get to that page by pasting about:addons into your Firefox URL bar and clicking into the 1Password X beta. Let me know what you find. :)

• Naravia
    Naravia
    Community Member

@kaitlyn thank you so much!

The latest Firefox beta fixes almost all of my problems - it's filling much faster and ignoring the search field in the internal software I mentioned.

The GitLab members field is still trying to be autofilled but I can hide it for the current browser session, which is still annoying but at least I don't use it that frequently, and is much better than not being able to hide it at all.

I have concerns about some of the other forms I've seen it try to fill that I have to use more regularly, but I can't check those right now.

Unfortunately, the "ignore fields" setting doesn't seem to stick. Judging from the release notes, this is intentional. Do you know when it'll be possible to tell 1Password to remember never to fill fields on a page?

Thank you again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know that helped a bit, and if you encounter other issues we'll be happy to take a look at those too. I can't make any promises about future releases, but it's something we're testing and gathering feedback on. Thanks for yours! :)

• Naravia
    Naravia
    Community Member

Unfortunately my Firefox addon has downgraded back to 1.17.1 and now won't update to 1.17.2 again, which means the problems are back. Do you know why?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Naravia: That's very odd. I've never seen or heard anything like that. Do you maybe have Firefox syncing the older version back from another device? I'm able to install 1.17.1 using the link above, and then update it to 1.17.2. It doesn't seem to change after that. Strangely, using the same link from another browser will get 1.17.2 right off the bat. We're looking into why Firefox keeps getting 1.17.1 at first. Maybe a CDN issue.

• Naravia
    Naravia
    Community Member

I've found the same thing, @brenty

I downloaded it using IE and got 1.17.2 so I just reinstalled from that. I have the right version now :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Naravia: Thanks for letting me know that worked for you! We'll continue looking into what's causing this. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.