To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How can i create a separate password to access my "work" vault?

bobt230
bobt230
Community Member

First, I have an individual account. My concern is that when I'm at work, I'm entering my "master password" in which to access my "work vault." I'm constantly surrounded by colleagues / people and am concerned that my master password will be compromised. What would be ideal is that I could assign a unique password that would only give me access to a specific vault. In that case, if it were to be compromised it would be contained to only those items in that vault. I have just a couple of days left on my trial and need to know how I can overcome this issue. It seems that the only way is to SUBSCRIBE for family/team membership - I find that unacceptable... Any help would be appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:different password to access on public computer

Comments

• Hi @bobt230

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'd be happy to try and help with this situation. Could you please elaborate about your setup? It sounds like you don't have an account (subscription) at all, but rather a standalone license? Is that correct? Also, it sounds like you have (at least) two vaults: A "Primary" vault for your personal items, and a separate work vault. Do you need to have access to the Primary vault at work?

To be clear on the terminology that we use: accounts are part of 1Password subscription memberships. Without a membership, you don't have an account with us, and we don't store your encrypted data.

Please let me know.

Ben

• bobt230
    bobt230
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. Hopefully I can clarify.

I currently am in a 30 day trial. After which I suppose I'll be able to either subscribe as an individual ($2.99/mo) or buy a standlone license (cost=?).

I do have two vaults; Personal (primary) and Work. I would prefer to have access to both vaults when I'm logged in at work.

• @bobt230 I see; thanks.

After which I suppose I'll be able to either subscribe as an individual ($2.99/mo) or buy a standlone license (cost=?).

Standalone licensing is really best thought of as a completely different offering. It doesn't include the benefits of membership. A 1Password 7 for Mac license would allow one person to use 1Password 7 for Mac on any number of Macs. It doesn't include access to 1Password on other platforms, and generally would not include upgrades. It also does not include access to 1Password.com and the features associated with that.

We're no longer advertising licenses. The de facto route is membership. We offer licenses as there are a number of (legacy) customers who are familiar with the situation that they offer and want to continue to be able to utilize 1Password in that manner. It isn't something we recommend to customers new to 1Password. Licenses are regularly priced at $65 USD + tax, but as of writing are on sale for $50 USD + tax for a limited time.

I do have two vaults; Personal (primary) and Work. I would prefer to have access to both vaults when I'm logged in at work.

The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    2. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

If multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

As such one possible workaround here would be to have separate work and personal memberships. This may only be something worth considering if work is willing to pay for the work membership. With this setup you could add the work membership first to your 1Password installation at work, and then add your personal membership. Both would be unlocked using the Master Password of the work membership, and you wouldn't have to type the Master Password of your personal membership around folks at work (except the one time for adding the account). At home you could do the reverse, or not add the work membership at all.

That is the only situation I'm able to come up with off-hand that would enable what you're asking for. With both vaults in the same membership... there wouldn't be a way to use a different password to unlock them. The vaults themselves don't have separate passwords.

Also, for what it's worth, even if someone were to shoulder surf your Master Password, they would either need access to one of your authorized devices or your Secret Key in order to access your data. You can add an additional layer of protection to prevent sign-ins from unauthorized devices by enabling 2FA:

Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• bobt230
    bobt230
    Community Member

Ben.

Again, thanks. I appreciate the thoroughness of your response.

Based on your suggestion of a second membership (@ 2x the cost) it seems as if it would alleviate my concerns. However, wouldn't the alternative of "upgrading" to the Family membership also address this issue? If I understand things correctly (?), I could share my work folder with either a Family member (myself) or Guest. So, at work I would log in and only have access to that particular vault - correct? By going that route, it would save on an annualized basis.... thoughts?

• @bobt230

Based on your suggestion of a second membership (@ 2x the cost) it seems as if it would alleviate my concerns.

That would arguably be the best solution here, from a technical standpoint. I understand there are financial concerns. Perhaps the best solution from that perspective would be to convince your company of the value of 1Password and get them to sign up for a 1Password Business membership, which includes a free 1Password Families membership for each team member. That would solve this problem with no cost to you directly. ;)

Link a family account to your business account

I don't believe 1Password Families alone would resolve this for you, unfortunately. The difficulty with that is it isn't possible to sign into multiple accounts within the same membership (regardless of membership tier) from the same 1Password installation. So even if you were able to set up multiple accounts / guests for yourself within a 1Password Families membership, you would only be able to add one or the other to e.g. 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows.

I suppose you could do a single 1Password Families membership, and utilize the web interface separately from the apps to access one or the other, but then you lose the benefits of being able to fill from both vaults. You'd have to copy & paste for the one you were using the web interface with.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.