Requirement for re-enter master password every 2 weeks

foreldet
foreldet
Community Member
edited October 2019 in Mac

Hi,

I started using 1password a couple of months ago and I've noticed that the setting to require the master password is selectable from 1 hour to 2 weeks. Even though I understand that this is probably done for some users not to forget their passwords, I think it'd be great to be able to configure that to "Never" or to longer time lapses.

For iOS it seems to be possible to set it to "Never" too, even if it's in the "Advance" tab, which makes sense for me.

Would it be possible to get a similar feature for Mac to match iOS? I feel it might be easier to get access to my password if I'm forced to input it than if I have to rarely do it.

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Mojave
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @foreldet! Welcome to the forum!

We don't have plans to add an option to never require the Master Password in 1Password for Mac. On iOS you are also prompted for your Master Password every now and then in any case, regardless of your settings (following a system reboot, for example).

Would it be possible to get a similar feature for Mac to match iOS? I feel it might be easier to get access to my password if I'm forced to input it than if I have to rarely do it.

If you want to input your Master Password all the time instead, you can lock your 1Password app manually once you are done, so the next time you will be forced to enter your Master Password again.

• foreldet
    foreldet
    Community Member

Hi, thank you for the quick answer!

Is there any reason not to provide the same feature as in iOS regarding the option of not to input the password that often? Of course I understand that it needs to be requested from time to time due to system updates, but I think there's lots of value in letting users do it from the advanced settings at least.

If you want to input your Master Password all the time instead, you can lock your 1Password app manually once you are done, so the next time you will be forced to enter your Master Password again.

I actually meant the opposite, that somebody else is more likely to get my password if I have to input it every 2 weeks (thinking about my office's computer, for instance).

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@foreldet: Yes. The iOS security model is completely different from macOS. That's why you can install apps from places other than the App Store on your Mac, and have them use files and folders virtually anywhere on disk: iOS is heavily sandboxed, while macOS is not for the most part.

Also, you said:

I feel it might be easier to get access to my password if I'm forced to input it than if I have to rarely do it.

Which is why Ana thought the same I did, based on your comment:

This is not correct:

I actually meant the opposite, that somebody else is more likely to get my password if I have to input it every 2 weeks (thinking about my office's computer, for instance).

Password fields use Secure Input, so that is not possible -- no other apps can access what you type there. You would have to literally install an impostor app and enter your Master Password into it instead in order for it to be captured. Please do not enter your Master Password anywhere but the actual 1Password app from us.

• WilliamReinhart
    WilliamReinhart
    Community Member

I want to request the same. I can't believe that the user doesn't have the option to elect less frequent master password inputs than 2 weeks. Can we at least have a month? What I really want to do is to turn off the timer completely and just require on restarts. After all, I am the user/comsumer of the software. I should be able to adjust the security/convenience tradeoff for myself. I can certainly remember my password on my own without Agilebits holding my hand, lol.

• Thanks for the feedback @WilliamReinhart. That isn't something that is on the radar right now, but perhaps is something we can consider down the line. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.