Upgrade to version 7.4 on 11/8/2019 broken browser extension on Mac OS Catalina

dgoepp
dgoepp
Community Member

My 1password app upgraded this morning to the latest version (automatically via the AppStore). Since then, when I hit the keyboard shortcut to auto-fill passwords, it prompts to install the extension. This happens in Chrome, Firefox and Safari. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension, but this had no affect. Help, I'm completely broken here.

1Password Version: 7.4
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Mac OS 10.15.1 (Catalina)
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• dgoepp
    dgoepp
    Community Member

See also, someone else that I believe is having the same problem:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk

• rpacheco
    rpacheco
    Community Member

Same here and I haven't upgraded to Catalina. Can't use 1Password at all with Safari after the upgrade to 7.4

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dgoepp:

Do you see the same behavior even after quitting and relaunching your browsers?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rpacheco:

What do you see when you open Safari Preferences > Extensions tab? Is the 1Password browser extension in the list and enabled? It should look similar to this:

• dgoepp
    dgoepp
    Community Member

@ag_ana Yes. And across all three browsers I have installed. Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

• onebigkid50
    onebigkid50
    Community Member

Same here ... Toolbar button on Safari and Firefox fail to work. I was going to uninstall and reinstall but see from other user that did not help. Button on Safari toolbar is greyed out and in Firefox it goes from greyed out to normal then back to greyed out. Gotta love updates that break things one step forward two steps back. Have restarted browsers still not working. Help!!!

• dgoepp
    dgoepp
    Community Member

I think I can answer for @rpacheco since I have the same problem with Safari too.

• dgoepp
    dgoepp
    Community Member

How can we downgrade to the previous version until this is fixed? 7.4 is broken.

• rpacheco
    rpacheco
    Community Member

I reinstalled 1password 7 and it seems to have fixed the ability to see the extension in the browser now

• dgoepp
    dgoepp
    Community Member

@rpacheco interesting. I reinstalled the extension, but not 1password itself (because that is annoying). i'll try that shortly and see if that fixes things.

• rpacheco
    rpacheco
    Community Member

reinstall was actually quick and painless seems to have fixed it all

• onebigkid50
    onebigkid50
    Community Member

Okay I ran CleanMyMac to clear off all the cruff off my computer, then ran CleanMemory to release all memory and finally restarted my system and now 1Password is working again!!!

• dgoepp
    dgoepp
    Community Member

Yeah, same here, reinstall and reboot of 1Password itself, not just the extension, and I'm good now too. Lame upgrade process then I guess.

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member

Restarting my Mac fixed similar extension issues for me (ie without needing uninstall / reinstall 1Password)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Same problem here. You can use the little icon in the upper toolbar on a Mac to completely quit 1Password. Then if you open 1Password using the main application, the new extension in Safari will work.

• Strongground
    Strongground
    Community Member

Can confirm. No need to reinstall 1password7 completetely or even the extension.
    Just use the icon in the application bar top right (default) to "completely quit" and then restart main app.
    Suddenly everything works.

• DCT
    DCT
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Deleting the 1Password application and then reinstalling from either Apple Store or direct download from 1Password website solved the issue with the extensions not working in any browser. I did not need to delete and reinstall any of the browser extensions... only the 1Password desktop application for Mac itself. That said, I did need to use the icon in the application bar -- top right (default) -- to "completely quit" and then restart the main 1Password application, so which one or both solved the issue isn't clear but it's now working again with all browsers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know that helped! Indeed, while in rare cases restarting macOS may be necessary, if something in the OS itself is hung up, Quitting 1Password Completely -- Command Control Option Q -- and relaunching it will force the browsers to reestablish a Native Messaging connection, so that can help too. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In case it helps anyone else, if Native Messaging is just hung up on your system, while a restart would re-initialize that as well, Quitting 1Password Completely -- Command Option Control Q -- and the browser before restarting both may work too. But a reboot ensures there aren't any other processes preventing them from being reset fully. Cheers! :)

• dgoepp
    dgoepp
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty. For what it is worth, feedback to the development team on this one, this continues to happen for me, and so it was not actually part of the install, but rather some new bug in this latest version. Each time, I do just do a complete quit of 1Password, and it starts working again. Annoying at best, but at least it doesn't stop me, and I know what to do to fix it. I've never had this problem before, just this latest version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dgoepp: Thanks for the additional info. If you can generate a diagnostics report immediately the next time that happens, that may help us understand why it's occurring repeatedly on your system:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

• dgoepp
    dgoepp
    Community Member

@brenty will do.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hopefully it doesn't come up again, but let me know. :) :+1:

• tewha
    tewha
    Community Member

I've seen seeing this on and off as well. Quitting 1Password Completely fixes it, but it always comes back. And this is definitely new.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your experience :+1:

This discussion has been closed.