To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1password 7 on a Mac, purchased 1password years ago, lost browser extensions, don't have a key

I can't get the initial window to pop up again to create a membership. I guess I need to set up a new account and transfer all of my existing data over to it? You guys changed the way this works so now I guess I need to buy something else to get browser extensions back on my Mac? That's B.S., I should be grandfathered in but whatever. Can you just help me get the extensions back? I use a Mac and iPhone for 1Password. The phone seems fine, it's just the Mac.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password 7 on a Mac, purchased 1password years ago, lost browser extensions, need to upgrade?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Hulkmtaylor37! Welcome to the forum!

You can download all the browser extensions from our downloads page. Unless you use Safari as your browser, in which case the extension is installed automatically when you install 1Password 7, so you don't have to install anything separately ;)

• Hulkmtaylor37
    Hulkmtaylor37
    Community Member

I use Safari. The extensions don't work anymore and when I log into 1Password, everything shows Read Only. Something isn't right.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Hulkmtaylor37: 1Password will be "read only" without an active membership or license for that specific version. If you purchased 1Password "years ago", that will be your problem: you purchased an old version but you're using the current one. You can get all the apps and updates as part of a 1Password membership, purchase a license for version 7 from the "read only" notice, or go back to using the version you already purchased.

• Hulkmtaylor37
    Hulkmtaylor37
    Community Member

That's part of my problem. I can't get back to the first screen where it allows me to purchase the membership. I want to be careful to not lose all of my data. I don't want to set up a brand new account, I want to transfer my data into a membership.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Hulkmtaylor37: I'm not sure I follow you here.

If you do not have a membership yet, you'd need to sign up for one. You can do that any time through the website: https://start.1password.com/sign-up/plan

If you do already have a membership, you just need to sign into it in the app.

Either way, this guide will take you through migrating your data and setting up all your devices:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

And we're here if you have questions along the way. :)

• Hulkmtaylor37
    Hulkmtaylor37
    Community Member

I have a membership now. But the safari extensions still don't work. What's next?

• @Hulkmtaylor37

What do you see in Safari under Preferences > Extensions? Can you please post a screenshot?

Ben

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

I have a membership now. But the safari extensions still don't work. What's next?

Often this can be solved by just restarting the system once :).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. I just wish that were the case all the time. For some people, Safari takes a long time to load the extension for whatever reason. :(

• Timothy_Sykes
    Timothy_Sykes
    Community Member

I am attempting to create an account, after upgrading from 1PW6 to 1PW7 last week. When I start the process, I am notified that an account for my email address already exists. However, I don't recall ever getting a secret key or any other account details. Here's my platform: MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6, safari 13.0.3, 1Password 6 /7 plus 1PW on iPad Pro, latest iOS.
    Please help, I'm ready to give up!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Timothy_Sykes: You will only have a 1Password account if you've signed up for a 1Password membership in the past four years. That's also the only way you'd have a Secret key, or be able to access your 1Password data using the web interface. Are you paying for a subscription for that, or did you purchase a license for a specific version of 1Password?

• Timothy_Sykes
    Timothy_Sykes
    Community Member

I was attempting to purchase a membership during the upgrade process from 1PW 6 to 7 The Let’s get started window tells me that an account with my email address already exists. When I check my account from the 1PW menu, it requires account details which I’ve never received. I have no Emergency Kit

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Timothy_Sykes: That will happen if you already created an individual account under the same email address you're trying to create one under now.

If you cannot use it and want to delete the account,
    1. In a web browser, go to https://start.1password.com/support , enter the account's email address, and click "Continue"
    2. Click the blue button in the email you receive to view your account(s)
    3. Click the account you want to delete
    4. Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click "Delete Account" to confirm.
    After that, you can sign up for a new account here: https://start.1password.com/signup/plan

• Timothy_Sykes
    Timothy_Sykes
    Community Member

If I delete the account, will I lose all of my information (login, credit card, membership, etc.) that I’ve created in 1PW ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Timothy_Sykes: If your data is in the 1Password account you delete, then it will be deleted as well. However, if your data is in a local vault (e.g. Primary, "On this Mac", sync'd with Dropbox/iCloud), that's entirely separate from any 1Password membership account. Which vault is your data in?

• Timothy_Sykes
    Timothy_Sykes
    Community Member

The vault is on iCloud

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Timothy_Sykes: Thanks for confirming! Then it is definitely not in any 1Password membership account, so it's safe to delete the account, leaving the iCloud data intact. :)

• Timothy_Sykes
    Timothy_Sykes
    Community Member

Okay, thanks for confirming that I can delete the account and start over.

I wanted to subscribe to the membership because I prefer that service model and the benefits that come with it. However, in desperation, when it looked like I couldn’t subscribe to a membership, and I needed to use 1PW, I went ahead and bought a licence, even though it was not my first choice. Can I switch to a membership from the licence now or would I have to wait until the licence expires by some means?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Timothy_Sykes:

Can I switch to a membership from the licence now or would I have to wait until the licence expires by some means?

We can definitely help you with this :) Please email our sales team at support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this conversation and they will be able to help privately (so we don't share purchase information on a public forum).

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

This discussion has been closed.