Secure note field is blank (not visible), except when being editted

bookrats
bookrats
Community Member

I've got a repeatable problem in 1Password 7.0.7 with one specific Secure Note entry: The Secure Note text is blank, except when being edited.

Here are screenshots to show what's going on. I've duplicated the entry, and then removed any sensitive info from the Secure Note; the problem still occurs. This way, I'm hoping you can see if you can get the problem to repeat on your systems.

Here's the Secure Note, not being edited, and blank:

And here's the same Secure Note, when it's being edited:

I'm pretty sure that there's something about the text that is triggering the blank display. For instance, if I remove the text ", in manila envelope", the Secure Note will be visible when it's not edited:

Some extra background:

• I ported my vault from 1Password 6. I don't believe this problem occurred in that version.
  • I have 101 Secure Notes in my vault. This is the only Secure Note having this problem. Many of them contain much more text than this Secure Note, so I don't think the size of a note is a factor (or at least, not the sole factor.)

I've noticed some other reports in this forum of similar problems with 1Password 7 (Notes not visible until edit is clicked on 1Password 7, Mac, Notes field appears empty for Credit Card items, even when it has data), but it sounds as if neither of these problems was repeatable.

I hope this info helps you find a solution. Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.0.7
OS Version: Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: WLAN Server
Referrer: forum-search:secure note blank

Comments

• bookrats
    bookrats
    Community Member

I just realized that it might help you to have the raw text of the entry, in case there's a special and/or invisible character in there that's causing a problem. (At the very least, it would save you having to type the phrase in yourself from the screenshot!)

However, I can't attach either a text or a PDF file. Is there some other file format that I could upload the text for you?

As a time saver for you, here's the text of the entry; you can copy and then paste it into your version of 1Password 7:

Keycode is for Master Key -- needed for making new keys

Old original Master keys (fob) are stored away in Prius folders in filing cabinets, with other Prius documents, in manila envelope. Extra batteries are stored there, outside of the key (but may be low/dead if left there too long).

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@bookrats I was intrigued by your careful description of the problem so created a new secure note which incorporated your text (copying and pasting from your last post). Sadly, I don't see the problem you mention: the text is visible whether or not the note is in edit mode.

You might try re-creating the secure note in its entirety and just copying and pasting into the new note the plain text from your post above and see if it then works for you.

Stephen

• bookrats
    bookrats
    Community Member

@Stephen_C -- Thank you -- that was an excellent suggestion! It led me to discover what caused the problem: an invisible character (specifically, a control character) which was embedded in the text of the Secure Note.

Using your suggestion, Stephen, I tried the following:

• Copying the text from the original Secure Note, into a new Secure Note, still exhibited the problem: the text was not visible.
    • Copying the text from the original Secure Note and pasting it into TextEdit, and then copying from TextEdit into a brand new Secure Note, still exhibited the problem: the text was not visible.
    • However, copying the text as you did, from the posting of the text into the 1Password forums, did not cause the problem -- the text was visible.

At that point, I figured that there might be some sort of invisible character embedded in the text, that was copied into the Mac's copy/paste buffer, but didn't make it into the 1Password forum article. So I copied the text from the original Secure Note into Emacs (running in a Mac Terminal window), which will display invisible control characters. (Emacs is a venerable old Unix text editor, still used by venerable old Unix guys like me. :) )

And low and behold, Emacs showed there was a "^P" (Cntrl-P) character in the text, right at the end of the word "envelope" -- which explains why removing this one phrase of text caused the Secure Note text to become visible again.

I've gone in and edited the original Secure Note, and retyped "envelope", and the problem has been solved. I don't know how the "^P" character got into the original 1Password6 note; I suspect it's been there for years, and was introduced when I imported my previous password manager (SplashID) data into 1Password.

Thanks again, Stephen! I'll report it here to the 1Password Team, though I think that very few 1Password users (if any) will ever encounter this problem: getting a control character into a Secure Note's text would be difficult to do under normal circumstances.

• ag_kevin
    edited July 2018

Hi @bookrats ,

Glad to hear you got it solved. I'll send a note to the development team to see if anything can be done to filter out non-printable characters before saving.

Cheers,
    Kevin

ref: apple-1367

• TnIan
    TnIan
    Community Member

Thanks, @bookrats; that's been driving me nuts for a while. That's what was going on in my case (my character was a "vertical tab").

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TnIan :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.