Feature Request: Public/Private key pair template

Options
mschultz
mschultz
Community Member

I'd like to see a public/private key pair as a template for storing credentials in 1Password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mschultz!

Thank you for the feedback :) We don't have plans to add additional categories, but we are working on a way to allow you to create custom templates, which we believe would be a better solution. The feature is currently in beta so we don't have anything to announce about that yet, but it's certainly something that our development team is aware of.

• mschultz
    mschultz
    Community Member
    Options

That would be perfect, and IS a better solution. Thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mschultz - if you have a 1Password Business account, you can already turn this beta feature on in Settings (when signed into your account in a browser). If you've got an individual or 1Password Families account, the rollout will likely take a bit longer. :) In the meantime, you can certainly use Secure Notes to accomplish most of what you want, even if it's a less-elegant solution than a dedicated category for keypairs. Hope that helps!

• mschultz
    mschultz
    Community Member
    Options

Lars,

Thank you for that suggestion! I tend to barely, if ever, use Secure Notes because there isn't a second level of encryption.

I know I'm being overly cautious, but I'd really prefer the text to be encrypted (or even simply hidden) by default so it's unreadable when I'm browsing through the notes (ala passwords). Or, at least an option to do so.

I've made the feature request in the past, but I'm aware it's not a commonly asked for feature.

Matthew

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mschultz - well, truth be told, it's not a "second level of encryption." In certain fields, we obfuscate the text - such as password fields - within the 1Password app UI. But it's not secondarily-encrypted. Unfortunately, the current iteration of password fields doesn't allow for multiline passwords, else you could simply paste the entire keypair into two Password fields in a Secure Note, public and private. It's something we'd like to revisit in the future, but I've nothing to announce regarding it just now. Thanks for bringing it up, however -- it's definitely not something we're saying "no" to; in fact, we'd like to see it as well. :)

• mschultz
    mschultz
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Yes, the obfuscation technique used with passwords would probably be sufficient, but I recognize I'm possibly being overly paranoid as you do have to unlock 1Password to see the content at all.

That said, I still use a manually entered password (every single time) to access 1P; no TouchID or FaceID unlock for me. So maybe I am a bit overly cautious.

:-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mschultz - hey, more power to you. It's certainly arguable more secure that way. No teenagers waiting until you're asleep then pressing your finger on the sensor. ;)

• mschultz
    mschultz
    Community Member
    Options

DAMN KIDS! GET OFF OF MY LAWN! ;-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mschultz - Heh. As a "person of years," I feel your pain. ;)

This discussion has been closed.