Trouble after erasing hard drive and reinstalling 1password

ninakf
ninakf
Community Member

I have a 1password 7 family account that I use on Chrome on my Imac. It seemed like the reinstall worked OK and I am able to get into my 1password account and enter my passwords correctly. However, I was notified that there is a 1password update. When I tried to update, I got a message that it couldn't find the 1password desktop app.

Then I added the 1pw extension and ended up with two different extensions in my Chrome browser (one with the blue ring and one with the black ring). When I right click on the blue ring extension, it says I have 1pw X and one with the black ring is the desktop extension.

When I looked for the instructions for updating 1password 7, it says to use Preferences on the 1 password menu but the menu does not show on my Chrome browser.

So I am totally confused about 1) how I got 1password X, 2) why I can't see the 1password menu to do the update, 3) where I can find my 1password version and 1password extension version, 4) if I downloaded 1pw from your website, does that mean I got it from agilebits?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ninakf!

When I tried to update, I got a message that it couldn't find the 1password desktop app.

Can you please post a screenshot of this error message?

it says to use Preferences on the 1 password menu but the menu does not show on my Chrome browser.

You cannot do this from Chrome, you need to do it from 1Password. Please open 1Password and go to Preferences > Updates tab in order to do this.

3) where I can find my 1password version and 1password extension version

You can find the 1Password version by opening the 1Password app, clicking on 1Password in the menu bar and selecting the About 1Password entry.

The extension version is in your browser, and the instructions vary slightly between browsers, but it's normally under Settings > Extensions.

4) if I downloaded 1pw from your website, does that mean I got it from agilebits?

Yes, that is correct :)

• ninakf
    ninakf
    Community Member

Here is a Screen Shot of the web site after I sign. I do not see the menu bar to go to Preferences, etc.

• @ninakf

The items Ana was talking about are in the 1Password for Mac application, not the Chrome application / 1Password.com web app. If you launch the 1Password for Mac application do you see those options?

Ben

• ninakf
    ninakf
    Community Member

This is the message I get when I try to update 1password 7:

• ninakf
    ninakf
    Community Member

I am able to use my Master Password and all of my sign ins are working but I cannot see the 1password menu.

• @ninakf

Please see this message for information on that error message.

Ben

• ninakf
    ninakf
    Community Member

I just realized where the menu is. Sorry. I did instructions for deleting and reinstalling. I have the latest version of 1password, but when I did Check for Updates to see what would happen, it still gives me the error message above. But everything works and I do have the latest. I guess if I my 1pw needed an update, it would not give me that message. It probably should say something like: Your 1password is up to date and not give an error message.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It isn't possible for 1Password to know that it is up to date when it cannot check for updates successfully, but thanks for the feedback. :)

This discussion has been closed.