Recommendations for a Yubikey

Manaburner
Manaburner
Community Member

I'm currently running the following combination:

• iPhone 8 with iOS 13.2, 1Password 7.4.3
  • MacBook Pro 2009 with 1Password 6 (don't ask)
  • Lenovo StinkPad T490 with Windows 10 , 1Password 7.3.712

My main device is the iPhone and I'm looking for a Yubikey that supports it. Support for the other platform is a bonus ( I know that 1Password 6 does not support U2F).
So far I've found that the 5 NFC and 5Ci are compatible, but does anyone have experience with either of those two devices using 1Password?

The description of the 5Ci for me sounds like it does support the iPhone better than the NFC version, but this may be related to the fact that it is almost double the cost of the NFC version and they want to sell the more expensive one. ;)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Manaburner

The only Yubikey that is currently compatible with 1Password on iOS is the Yubikey 5Ci (and only over Lightning, not USB-C). NFC is not currently supported. As U2F support in iOS itself grows that may change.

The 5Ci can also be used with the 1Password.com website using a compatible browser when connected via USB-C. At the moment 1Password for iOS is the only native 1Password app that supports U2F. All others will require TOTP.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @Ben
    Yes that helps, thank you :)

• Glad to hear it. You're welcome. :)

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Ben, when the other native apps super this, I am jumping on this. I can’t wait!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We're getting there. Cheers! :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Apparently iOS 13.3 Beta has some nice in store for FIDO2 keys?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't think there's an updated Yubikey SDK yet, but it's certainly one more piece of the puzzle. :)

This discussion has been closed.