Password generator in 1Password X defaults

IndigoHomme
IndigoHomme
Community Member
edited August 2019 in 1Password in the Browser
  1. The password generator defaults to 20 characters with no option to set the length nor the number of special characters and number of digits.
  2. Having generated a password most often there is no prompt to save the new password!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password x

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @IndigoHomme! Thanks for getting in touch with us. The first thing you brought up is the 1Password X Suggested Password feature. It's separate from the password generator, so it'll stick to its guns with a long, strong password for easy filling. If you have specific password requirements, you'll want to use the full password generator inside the 1Password X popup. To get there, click on the 1Password icon in your browser, then click the + button, then choose Password Generator. You'll be able to generate a password there and customize all sorts of different parameters.

For the second thing you mentioned, I'm curious how you're generating the password. Is it via the Suggested Password in the inline menu? If so, you should see a prompt directly after clicking the Suggested Password. If you aren't seeing it, could you share the exact steps you're taking to generate the password along with the website URL so I can test it out as well?

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

I was also wondering why the inline password suggestion was ignoring the setting in the password generator. Also there is no connection between the 1PX generator or desktop/browser extension. Presently, this schism between the desktop, inline actions, browser extensions and 1Password X is very confusing. (The issue is broader than just the pw generator.) It is the main reason I'm reluctant to recommend 1P to new PW Manger users. I have been using 1P since 2015 and I'm generally ok (but suffering) with it. I was hoping this would be resolved in a soon to be released version. But after reading other posts about this it looks like it will be awhile until Windows/Firefox gets a resolution. sigh

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@DoctorBrown – Thanks for chiming in!

I was also wondering why the inline password suggestion was ignoring the setting in the password generator.

The password generator and the inline suggested password are separate features, so what you're describing is expected behavior.

Also there is no connection between the 1PX generator or desktop/browser extension.

We're currently testing out some new technology with this. If you're on macOS, you're welcome to help us by installing the betas for 1Password for Mac and 1Password X. That's where the two apps will communicate with each other. Check out this announcement for more info.

Presently, this schism between the desktop, inline actions, browser extensions and 1Password X is very confusing. (The issue is broader than just the pw generator.) It is the main reason I'm reluctant to recommend 1P to new PW Manger users. I have been using 1P since 2015 and I'm generally ok (but suffering) with it. I was hoping this would be resolved in a soon to be released version. But after reading other posts about this it looks like it will be awhile until Windows/Firefox gets a resolution. sigh

I understand where you're coming from, but I'm also curious to learn more. As of right now, each 1Password app is built on different frameworks and is managed by a different team, so I see where there would be some disconnects. That being said, the 1Password experience should be similar and your data should sync across the board. Is there something specific that you're having trouble grasping? If so, I'd be happy to help out the best I can. :)

• I can't find password generator anymore. It used to be readily available, where is it now

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

This might be more appropriate to split this to a new topic, but here it goes. I'm sure I'll get some of this wrong because some of this has occurred over a long period of time and I've forgotten some details.

It's more about consistent behavior and commands and which to use in any given situation. I've seen topics where it is not recommended to have both 1PX and desktop/extension running at the same time. But I am because 1PX handled authentication popups better and had other UI characteristics that I found useful like the inline behaviors.

Start with the password generator.
    1. 3 different generators: 1) inline, 2) desktop/extension, 3) 1Password X
    2. There are 4 ways to access one: 1) inline via suggestion popup, 2) desktop when editing an item, 3) mini & extension cmd button, 4) 1PX included in the popup menu under the (+) create cmd. And each UI is different.
    3. 2 independent configurations with different UI designs. 1) desktop/mini/extension, 2) 1PX. And inline suggestion you can't configure at all (not good).

Tags: You can configure and use tags in the desktop, but no where else. Which makes them pretty useless since most of the finding an item and filling takes place in the browsers.

The configuration settings of 1PX and 1P desktop are completely independent and have different parameters even though they share the database. I understand there is going to be differences because one is a desktop app, the other a browser app. But couldn't things be more integrated?

Having to login twice is a PITA. You never know when the one you want to use is going to time out.

Most of the Watchtower functions are only in the desktop app. Which might be appropriate because the heavy lifting for those function are likely better to do in in the desktop. Having vulnerable or compromised password flagged in the browser UI is probably a good idea.

So in summary, they feel like completely different apps (which you said they are) instead of an integrated solution with a consistent look and feel. I think the teams should have a common UI design to go from. That in itself would be a big improvement.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Marshalldeerhunter1 – You can open the password generator by clicking the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar, then click the large + button, then click Password Generator. Here's a video of the process. Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcut Command-G or Ctrl + G with the 1Password X pop-up open.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@DoctorBrown – I appreciate your input. I'll start with a little history lesson because it's fun to share and there's a chance it'll open your mind a bit.

We originally created 1Password X with our Linux users in mind. It’s a full-featured 1Password app built into an extension, and it doesn’t require the 1Password desktop app to run. It turned out that quite a few users actually preferred the user experience of 1Password X to our older extension that requires the desktop app - myself included. While our intention was for 1Password X to be used separate from the desktop app (like on Linux, for example), it has turned into something much more than that. I agree that we have opportunities to make 1Password X and the desktop apps more consistent, and I'm in no way arguing against that. I'm hoping this explanation helps with your first comment in regards to the desktop app/1Password X running at the same time. We've been hard at work making communication between 1Password for Mac and 1Password X possible, and I'm beyond excited to be able to offer it in the current betas.

Thanks for sharing your opinions with the password generator. It's nice to see things from a different perspective. I typically think that the more places to generate a password, the better because each of our brains operate differently. I can see how making them more consistent would make things less confusing, though.

In regards to tags, 1Password X does support searching tags so you can still organize and find items the same way you would in the 1Password desktop apps. We're looking to integrate tags in 1Password X even further, and I'm happy to let my team know that's something you'd be interested in.

Your next two comments (about settings and unlocking twice) bring me back to Desktop App Integration, which is something we're testing with 1Password for Mac currently. That feature allows 1Password X and 1Password for Mac to communicate, meaning 1Password X can adopt the lock state of 1Password for Mac as well as integrate settings. It sounds like it would solve some of the consistency issues you're experiencing, so stay tuned, and we'll announce it as soon as we're able to implement it on Windows.

Watchtower banners are offered in the 1Password X pop-up, which includes vulnerable passwords as long as you have the option enabled. You can see what that looks like here.

Again, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us. It's exactly how we learn and continue to improve. Thank you!

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

@kaitlyn I really appreciate your clarification and explanation on my comments. I suspected I would be inaccurate on some points. Because of your explanation, I learned how to access tags in 1PX. I overlooked that.

It is unusual for an app to get features on MacOS and Linux before Windows. I will be eagerly awaiting the better integration on Windows. Will the release of the integrated versions mean that the current browser extension that works with the desktop will be eliminated? There are some features of that extension that I prefer. And it's UI is consistent with the Desktop UI.

Yes, having multiple ways to access a function is common, but sometimes I find it unnecessary or confusing. But that's the way I work.

The desktop has Watchtower with 7 different categories of password checks. Are the checks in 1PX as extensive at those? I found that very useful to strengthen my passwords.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@DoctorBrown – Absolutely! I appreciate you genuinely wanting to improve the 1Password X experience. I'm here to do the same, and I love being able to see it from different perspectives.

Will the release of the integrated versions mean that the current browser extension that works with the desktop will be eliminated?

I don't have an accurate answer for this yet, so I'll be wondering with you. I do know that we'd like to make things more consistent with the desktop apps, but I don't know what that exactly looks like since it's still in the early stages.

I'd love to see some improvements to Watchtower in 1Password X. We've got some work to do there, but you can always refer to the 1Password web app if you're wanting to see Watchtower information from directly within your browser.

Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy your weekend!

• fred-o
    fred-o
    Community Member

I'm using 1Password X extension with Chrome on Mac OS. I upgraded to the subscription Family Plan and I really don't like the generate and save features of this extension.

For example: to change the size of a password to less than 20 chars you said to do the following:
    "To get there, click on the 1Password icon in your browser, then click the + button, then choose Password Generator. You'll be able to generate a password there and customize all sorts of different parameters."

Well, this does not work with the X extension, as no menu appears to let you customize the password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fred-o: Sure it does:

• fred-o
    fred-o
    Community Member

Using the X extension, I never get presented with the + sign as you are showing.

• fred-o
    fred-o
    Community Member

If I select Password Generator the only option is to use the password suggested.

• Hey @fred-o, you are clicking the 1Password icon that shows in the login forms. You need to click the icon in your Chrome toolbar, to the right of the address bar, to see the 1Password X pop-up that Brenty shared screenshots of. :smile:

• fred-o
    fred-o
    Community Member

Thank you. From a user's view, it's not obvious when the same 1Password icon is being presented in two places on the same screen but used in different ways. I think the icon on the "login form" should be removed, just present a drop down list of functions. My two cents :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

@fred-o: You can disable the inline icons in 1Password X Settings. Most users seem to prefer the inline icon though, and by default the browser shows toolbar icons for installed extensions anyway. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.