How can I print out my vault for safekeeping

How can I print out my vault for safekeeping? Want to print ALL ITEMS?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How can I print out my vault for safekeeping

Comments

• Yulka1355
    Yulka1355
    Community Member

Hey @jstupka, I am not really sure how it would make it safer for you printing out all of your items... Plus, if you would need any password, and for instance, you have 300+ logins saved it would take you a long time to find what you need.

Anyhow, you can do so by opening the desktop app and going to the desired vault, click "ctrl+A" to select all of the logins, then right-click on them and select "Export". Choose a text file for more convenience.

• While @Yulka1355 is correct the exporting and printing is an option, @jstupka, it's not one I would recommend. As alluded to, it's not the most readable thing in the universe, plus it's unencrypted while you've got that export saved on your computer so generally best to avoid them whenever possible. 1Password has an extremely robust system of redundancy as well. The only way you'll lose access to your data is if all of your devices and our server were to stop working all at the same time. This is highly unlikely to the extent that the risk of having an unencrypted export on your device likely outweighs the risk of data loss. My suggestion is to instead keep a copy of your Emergency Kit somewhere safe. That way, you always have the credentials you need to sign in to your 1Password account on any device ensuring that even if all of yours die, all is not lost. :chuffed:

• woodsb02
    woodsb02
    Community Member

Printing in a human readable format is a feature that my parents want - and I would argue they have a valid concern.

Having a backup of your passwords which is outside of 1password helps protect against:

• 1password going bankrupt, and the passwords stored in their cloud being deleted (rather than having to trust that they will do the "right thing" if this scenario was to ever eventuate)
    • Someone at 1password accidentally deleting your passwords, and that change being sync'd around all of the "redundant" servers (rather than having to trust that they are managing their backups correctly).

Paper makes sense to my parents, and provides a usable solution in the event of a disaster. I myself would probably want an encrypted electronic offline backup, in a format which could be imported into other apps should it ever be required - the current export option is ok for now, but I'm not sure how easy that format would be to import into another app, and I would have to manage the encryption.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1password going bankrupt, and the passwords stored in their cloud being deleted (rather than having to trust that they will do the "right thing" if this scenario was to ever eventuate)

@woodsb02: Setting aside the fact that we have a long track record of not "going bankrupt" because we continue to change sustainable prices for our software, even if that happened tomorrow you still have your data on your devices; it would not magically "sell destruct", so you could export it as needed.

Someone at 1password accidentally deleting your passwords, and that change being sync'd around all of the "redundant" servers (rather than having to trust that they are managing their backups correctly).

Setting aside that it isn't possible for one person to go around "deleting your passwords", even if that were to happen you'd still have your data on your devices.

Regardless, as mentioned above, data can be exported as plaintext. We just don't recommend it because it's insecure, which is ostensibly what we're all using 1Password in the first place to avoid.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

As an aside, in case it helps, we don't even delete users' accounts if they ask us, sometimes repeatedly. We give them instructions to do it themselves, or, failing that, we send them an "account deletion email" which allows them to do that in fewer steps. None of us wants to be responsible for users losing data, even when it's very clear they want it deleted. We do delete accounts in compliance with GDPR, but only as a last resort (the user cannot do it themselves) and after multiple checks and balances, so that no one person is in a position to do it mistakenly.

• woodsb02
    woodsb02
    Community Member

Hi @brenty, thanks for the response.

Whilst I agree the risk of this is low, it was an argument I had to combat in trying to convince my parents to start using 1password. I suspect they're not alone in this concern, and think a print option which presents the title,username,password,website in a nice tabular format in landscape would be great to satisfy these kinds of concerns.

Do you know if this is already in as a feature request, or if it could be added as one?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hear you. :) Old habits die hard. What you're describing is CSV. 1Password already supports that, but we do have some improvements we'll be making to it as well. We have no plans to add an actual "print" feature though.

• bradster62
    bradster62
    Community Member

I've asked for a paper "print-out" in the past. If I would get hit by a bus, my wife and family would have access to my login and secure notes in paper form in my safe deposit box. The administrators of my estate may not have the technical knowledge or savy to access my 1Password account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

As mentioned above, though we can't recommend it, you can export and print the data if you want to, bearing in mind the security risks of doing so.

• nicolod
    nicolod
    Community Member

I feel more confortable too having a printed copy of all my passwords in a readable sheet somewhere. At the moment if someone stole my phone, my laptop and my wallet (where I have a printed copy of my secret-key) at the same time I would lose access to my 1password vaults.

So thank you for the export feature; right now I have a printed copy of all my passwords at home inside my safe, buried in the wall. In this way I'm protected against a phone+pc+wallet theft but not against the safe's content theft.

I would like the export worked in this way: the export should generate 2 files: export1.txt and export2.txt, for example. Each file has half of every info (half password for login credential, for the credit cards export1.txt has the 16 digits and export2.txt has expiration date and cvs, and so on). I'll keep export1.txt at home and export2.txt at the office. So if someone would came into possession of just one file he is harmless; but if I need I can recover all my passwords having the 2 files. If someone stole one of my export.txt I'll just re-export them.

I hope I made myself clear.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@nicolod: Right now, you can store an exported file (or Emergency Kit) in a safe deposit box in the bank. This way your data will be safe, even if something happens with your safe at home.

The idea you suggested is quite interesting and I will forward your suggestion to our team, as we are always looking at ways to make 1Password better. if you have other questions, feel free to raise them. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, it's much easier to just keep your 1Password account's Emergency Kit, as it will rarely need to be updated (if ever), and could be used to access your data even if all of your devices were lost, stolen, destroyed, or some combination of those. :+1:

• maura071717
    maura071717
    Community Member

These are the instructions for exporting, I follow the steps however when I right-click export is not an option.
    How to know if I have version 4 or 7?

1Password 7
    Open and unlock 1Password.
    Select the items you want to export. Select multiple items by holding down the Ctrl key when clicking on them. Select all of the items by pressing Ctrl + A after clicking one of the items in the list.
    Right-click the selected item(s) and choose Export.
    Choose a format:
    Comma Delimited Text (.csv) to move data to a different app.
    Plain Text (.txt) for a readable list of your items.
    Enter a filename and click Save.

1Password 4
    Open 1Password and unlock the vault you want to export.
    Choose File > Export.
    Choose a format:
    1Password Interchange Format (.1pif) to move data to another copy of 1Password.
    Comma Delimited Text (.csv) to move Login items to a different app. Only Login items are exported in this format.
    Enter a filename and click Save.

This discussion has been closed.