Mac vs iPad functionality and how to view attachments

serky
serky
Community Member

Hello

Can you please clarify how attachments work?

I needed to access an attachment on a login entry in 1Password on my iPad. The actual file did not open but rather the screen just showed the name of the attached file with the word ‘data’ underneath. For example, the file name was ‘Query to bank.eml’ and the only way I could view it, was to email it to myself.

I have only tested email attachments on a login, not any other file types, nor other types of data in 1Password. When I click on the same attachment in 1password on the Mac it auto opens and displays the actual email. Is this behaviour correct?

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.4.1
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@serky: iOS/iPadOS does not have file associations the way desktop OSes do. There isn't anything that can be done with most file types, with exceptions being things like images, audio, video -- stuff that has handling built into the OS itself. Conversely, the macOS Mail app allows you to save and open .eml files, as one example, and can register itself with the OS to handle those, and therefore they can be opened there from 1Password when the file type is recognized by the OS. So, long story short, what you're describing is expected. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.