Family login to Mac desktop app

ericwilke
ericwilke
Community Member

We have a family account and I was trying to get my wife logged into the Mac desktop app. It would not take her master password, and when I used the QR code for the account, it would only allow my username and password to use the app. We just need her account on her laptop.

1Password Version: 7.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Catalina
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password mac app family login

Comments

• Hi @ericwilke

Is your wife able to log in at https://my.1Password.com/ using her credentials?

it would only allow my username and password to use the app

If you're entering your Secret Key, then only your other credentials will be accepted. You'd have to enter her Secret Key in order to use her credentials and access her account. Each person has their own unique Secret Key (and associated QR code).

Ben

• ericwilke
    ericwilke
    Community Member

Thanks!

• ericwilke
    ericwilke
    Community Member

So... when trying to log into my.1Password.com, it is asking for her secret key. How do we find that?

• @ericwilke

How did she create her account? If she signed up in a web browser then the Secret Key would be in the Emergency Kit PDF she would've had to download in order to complete the signup process. If she signed up in one of the 1Password apps, the Secret Key will be stored in that app.

Ben

• ericwilke
    ericwilke
    Community Member

I sent her an invite from my account. There was no Emergency Kit PDF when she clicked the verification email. We cannot log into her web account now without the secret key, and 1Password on her laptop is not logged in as me and we have nothing available to change it.

• @ericwilke

There was no Emergency Kit PDF when she clicked the verification email

If she completed the account creation process then there was. If she didn't get an Emergency Kit then she hasn't completed the process (or perhaps simply doesn't remember — did you check the Downloads folder?). If ultimately you cannot find her Emergency Kit / Secret Key you can delete her account from your membership and re-invite her. When she accepts the invite she'll choose a Master Password and be given an Emergency Kit which contains her Secret Key.

Ben

• ericwilke
    ericwilke
    Community Member

OK. Account deleted and re-created. Emergency Kit in hand. Now... how do I sign out of 1Password 7 desktop on my wife's laptop so we can sign in using her credentials? When I tried to sign into another account, we got dialog stating we could not sign in to the same family account and I do not see anywhere to sign out of my credentials. Thanks for the help.

• ericwilke
    ericwilke
    Community Member

Ahh.. found it. All working great now. Thanks.

• Great! Glad to hear it worked out, and apologies for the bumpy start. Hopefully it is all smooth sailing from here out. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.