Autofill not working in Chrome w/ 1Password X

Options

I have the 1Password X for Chrome on Windows 10, but it never prompts to fill forms with my name, address, email, etc. In the Chrome settings, it says 1Pass is managing this, and if I switch it off the Chrome autofill works but then 1Pass doesn't prompt for passwords. I couldn't find any option in 1Pass where I had to set my address, etc. or turn this feature on. Am I missing something? I'm pretty sure everything is up to date with versions. Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Yulka1355
    Yulka1355
    Community Member
    Options

Do you see a small 1Password icon in the username/password, @bcemail? I've attached a screenshot of what it supposed to look like

• As, @Yulka1355 alluded to, @bcemail, 1Password doesn't fill automatically the way Chrome does. Instead, it requires that you tell it to do so. The icon referenced above will expand an inline menu with suggestions of what to fill when 1Password X is unlocked. You can learn more about using 1Password X generally, including the typical filling workflow, here:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

Give it a look, give filling another try, and let me know if this helps. :chuffed:

• bcemail
    bcemail
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. I just tried with a random website checkout. When I click on the Email line, I see the 1P icon. When I click on that I get the options Suggested Actions, Logins, Credit Cards, Identities, Password Generator, and Save Login. When I click on the name, address, etc., fields, there is no 1P icon. I've read through what I can find but I still can't find a way to make 1Password just fill out my name and address. What am I missing? I don't want it saving a login or anything here, I just want to use it to fill forms or get out of the way and let Chrome fill it out. With Chrome, I click on a field and it pulls up my name and address for me to select. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bcemail: You can open 1Password X from its toolbar icon in Chrome, and search for a specific Identity or Credit Card item to fill from there. Does that help?

• bcemail
    bcemail
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: I didn't realize I had to fill out an Identity, so I created one. Now when I go to fill out a form, sometimes it shows the 1Password icon in the form, but usually only in the email field. For several forms I tested, First Name was the first field, but the icon didn't show up in that field. If I go down to the email field, the icon is there, and it will fill out from that field on, but NOT go above that field and fill out first name, last name, etc. I did try your suggestion of clicking on the icon in the toolbar, and then I could search for an identity and it would fill the form.
    So, although I got it to work, I will say that this is less than ideal. The Autofill in Chrome always pops up in a form, for pretty much whatever field I click on first. And clicking on the toolbar, searching for an identity, and then choosing it is several extra steps (even if it is just a couple of seconds, it annoys me!). Any chance 1Password will improve this feature? Or is there a way to let Chrome take care of Autofill but still use 1Password for passwords? Would it act any differently with Firefox?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bcemail: As far as detecting where filling will be useful to offer it, that's something we will continue to work to improve, but we really need to know the URLs involved to be able to do that since we cannot test them otherwise.

That said, 1Password is not the web browser, so like other extensions it does not have the same access that the browser itself does. 1Password will also likely never behave the way browsers' built-in filling does, and we always recommend disabling that, for a number of security and usability reasons: That can result in information being given to websites when you don't want that to happen, both automatically depending on settings, and inadvertently (when it just "pops up", as you describe, it's easy to accidentally click and squirt your personal info into the page). It's also more difficult to manage "autofill" data saved in the browser, it's difficult to export and not interoperable with the browsers (and sometimes platforms), and -- somewhat paradoxically -- it's almost never remotely secure and therefore easy for anyone with access to the device to get to.

Conversely, 1Password is intentionally designed to only fill information when you explicitly tell it to because of that, it's much easier to manage, and protected on the device by your Master Password.

With 1Password you can search for and select a Login, Identity, or Credit Card item at any time from the toolbar button. And again, if you're having trouble with certain sites, let us know the specifics so we can investigate. :)

This discussion has been closed.