My wife has shared a new password to our shared vault but it does not show up for me.

Gregist
Gregist
Community Member

We have had a shared vault for some years. We are now using 1Password 7.4 (both of us); I just updated to 7.4 15 minutes ago. A new password she has put into our shared vault is not showing up for me.

1Password Version: 7.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.14
Sync Type: Not sure
Referrer: forum-search:shared vault

Comments

• Hi @Gregist

If you sign in to your account at https://my.1password.com using a web browser do you see the item in question there? Please let me know.

Ben

• Gregist
    Gregist
    Community Member

No.

• Gregist
    Gregist
    Community Member

My wife sent me a secret key and it doesn't work. The 1Password pop-up window (1Password > Preferences) said "Your email address or your secret key is wrong. Your secret key should start with ********** " where the asterisks stand for some gibberish. Well, the secret key they sent her does not start with the alphanumeric string it is supposed to start with.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Gregist:

What is the name of the vault where your wife saved this new item?

• Gregist
    Gregist
    Community Member

I know the name of the vault, but I'm too tech-security ignorant to know whether it's wise to tell anyone on a forum like this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

My wife sent me a secret key and it doesn't work. The 1Password pop-up window (1Password > Preferences) said "Your email address or your secret key is wrong. Your secret key should start with ********** " where the asterisks stand for some gibberish. Well, the secret key they sent her does not start with the alphanumeric string it is supposed to start with.

@Gregist: Your wife's Secret Key works with her account and email address. It will not work for your account and your email address. You'll need to use your own Secret Key, which you were given when signing up.

I know the name of the vault, but I'm too tech-security ignorant to know whether it's wise to tell anyone on a forum like this.

Unless it's a sensitive name you assigned to that vault yourself, it's going to be something 1Password assigned by default, like Primary, 1Password, Personal, Private, or Shared. If it's one of those, there's no harm in mentioning it here, as millions of other people will have the same vault name. :)

• Gregist
    Gregist
    Community Member

Oh - OK then. The vault is named "Shared".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gregist: Thanks! Indeed, if one of you signs into 1Password.com in your web browser, and you are not seeing the Shared vault there, that's because you're using an individual 1Password membership and not an account that's part of a family membership. Did you perhaps sign up for multiple accounts under the same email address, or do you have just one which is individual and not created using a family invitation?

• Gregist
    Gregist
    Community Member

I suspect that we inadvertently created a 2nd membership when my wife updated to the latest version of 1Password. That's when the new "family" thing appeared in the list of vaults to the left of the 1Password screen.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Gregist:

I suspect that we inadvertently created a 2nd membership when my wife updated to the latest version of 1Password.

This would indeed explain why you are not seeing the item. There is a way to confirm this: if you login to your 1Password account in a browser, do you see a People entry in the menu on the right sidebar? And if you do, do you see both of you in the list, or just your account?

• Gregist
    Gregist
    Community Member

@ag_ana: I see nothing with the word "people", but there is a column on the right-hand side with my name at the top.
    There is a "ghosted" box on the lower left that has the 1Password logo in its upper-right corner and the title "Shared Vaults". Under that title is the text "You don’t (yet) have access to any shared vaults. When you do, they’ll appear here."
    In the old version of 1Password, we had a shared vault with tons of shared passwords. Can I "import" this shared vault, or its contents, using the "Import" function in the drop-down menu under my name in the right-hand column of the 1Password browser window?

• Gregist
    Gregist
    Community Member

Addendum: on the right-hand column, under my name I see "Good evening!" and under that I see a logo and "Heidi's Family".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Gregist:

Under that title is the text "You don’t (yet) have access to any shared vaults. When you do, they’ll appear here."

This means that you were invited to a Families account by someone, but the person who invited you has not confirmed your account. Until your account is confirmed, you will not have access to any shared vault. Please make sure that the person who invited you confirms your account first.

This discussion has been closed.