7 vs X, autofill not working, overall confusion about my configurations

JoePreis
JoePreis
Community Member

I've been a 1Password user for many years. Evangelized to my family, so we had 3 separate software licenses. In July, I purchased 1Password Family for a year. Now, we are all frustrated. Things don't work the way that they used to, and my wife hasn't even been willing to convert. From some reading in the forums, I can't tell if some of my installations are "broken," or if they're not configured properly, or if the software has stopped being as useful. The most obvious problem that I notice is that 1Password no longer seems to recognize and autofill my logins on websites. Double-clicking on sites in 1Password also doesn't seem to "open and fill." I don't even know if I'm asking the right questions - which is why I'm here in the discussion group, hoping to get some "live" support. Thanks, Joe

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: Version 7.4 (70400014)
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hey @JoePreis

First please allow me to apologize for the situation. Obviously we want 1Password to work smoothly for everyone, so I'm sorry that isn't currently the state for you.

We currently offer two 1Password browser extensions, which allow for filling of your credentials into webpages:

• 1Password extension (desktop app required) - As the name implies, this version extends the desktop apps (1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows). It cannot work without one of them. It is the older method of doing things, but is still preferred by many customers. There is currently a bug with this extension where instead of filling 1Password mini closes and then re-opens showing all items. For those that are able, we've suggested using 1Password X as a possible workaround.
    • 1Password X - This is our newer extension. It is compatible with 1Password memberships, and can connect to them directly without the use of one of the desktop apps. At the moment, it does not have integration with the desktop apps at all (more on that below). This means it cannot take advantage of things like Touch ID. But it is arguably an easier to use interface that doesn't have all of the 'weight' that the desktop apps carry.

We currently have a beta of 1Password X available that, when used in conjunction with the 1Password for Mac beta, does integrate with 1Password for Mac (yay Touch ID!). The long story short is that you've caught us in a bit of a transition period, which may be ongoing for a while as we continue to build out 1Password X. Right now I would suggest that the 1Password X beta + the 1Password for Mac beta provides the best experience when it comes to using 1Password in a web browser. I do understand that not everyone is interested in running beta software though, and rightfully so. For those folks I'd recommend sticking with the "1Password extension (desktop app required)" extension for the moment, with the understanding that there is currently a bug in it. We're very hopeful to have that bug fixed up soon.

You can read more about 1Password X here. And you can get involved with the beta here.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

P.S. I would recommend against having both extensions installed in the same browser profile, as they may conflict.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Hi Joe, there ARE occasional snags as the 1P elves toil tirelessly to tweak the various elements comprising 1Password to mesh with various and ever-changing brands, platforms, and versions of machines, OSes, and browsers. Unfortunately, it seems the folks who have the most problems with the "new" 1P are those long-time users forced into upgrading by the relentless "march of progress" in the computer hardware/software industry. Us newcomers have it easy—we just load up the most current and functional software, sign our lives away, and we're off—and we expect that, just as long as we pay our membership fees, we'll be kept current and running more or less smoothly by the elvish.

Advise you suck it up and "evangelize" the others (again) to accept some temporary disruption in order to make the conversion from old to new as quickly as possible. You and your family can then enjoy the results of your efforts, hopefully for a long time to come.

• JoePreis
    JoePreis
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. This addresses my most obvious issue. I'm quite dependent on Touch ID, but giving that up for a while may be a better option than continuing to work with my current non-working 1Password. However, I think that is the least of my problems. I suspect that I haven't actually even begun using the 1Password Family account that I purchased. I'm currently looking at several screens of instructions on how to find my "Secret Key." So far, no luck. Every screen seems to be asking for my Secret Key. I am usually quite good about configuring software, but I have to say, this/these transitions that 1Password has implemented, especially for long-time users, are very unclear. Is there anyway to talk with someone on the phone who could probably guide me through this in less time than writing this would take?

• JoePreis
    JoePreis
    Community Member

How about you resend to me the email that I got when I signed up for my family account? Because from the looks of the "Let's get started" instructions, I never got started. And I can't log into my.1Password.com, because I don't have my secret key, which is ironic, because, of all things, THAT should be in my own 1Password, regardless of the version that I'm running.

• @JoePreis

We don't offer telephone support, but we're happy to help here. I'm not sure which email you're referring to, but we never have your Secret Key and as such are unable to send it to you in an email. If you look in 1Password for Mac under 1Password > Preferences > Accounts do you see an account listed there? Are any of your family members currently logged into their account within your membership? If not, do you still have your Emergency Kit in your Downloads folder from when you signed up?

Get to know your Emergency Kit

If you don't, and are unable to locate your Secret Key, the only recourse would be to delete the membership and start over. If you need to do that, please follow the prompts at https://my.1password.com/support

Thanks.

Ben

• JoePreis
    JoePreis
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Very helpful. Have secret key.

1. Have I actually not started using my family account?
    2. Is my daughter the only current user?
    3. Is my next step to migrate my data?
    4. Then I have to pick 7 or X?

Thanks, Joe

• Correct. I'd recommend starting with 1Password 7 for Mac for that. If you've already added your account to 1Password but haven't migrated your data:

1. Use the vault switcher at the top left of the app to switch to your "Personal" vault
    2. Use the Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account menu to complete the migration

If you haven't yet added your account to 1Password for Mac then follow this guide:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#migrate-your-data-on-your-main-device

And if you don't already have a copy of your Emergency Kit printed, I'd highly recommend doing so. :) The Emergency Kit guide I linked above should help in obtaining one.

Ben

• JoePreis
    JoePreis
    Community Member

Ben, I am watching a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AId6ODT4CK8). My computer is not doing what is shown. I am not getting the prompt "Add This Account to 1Password".

• JoePreis
    JoePreis
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

I tried to "Set up other device" but was told that my 1Password account was already added. So I poked around, and I'm having a very bad experience, because.... my "private" vault has only 83 passwords. "All vaults" shows "All items 83" and "Trash 1465". Since I don't really understand how any of this information got here - or for that matter, what I'm even looking at, I am very concerned. As in - does anybody else on this "Family account" now have access to ALL my passwords? Do you guys not even have Support via Chat?

To continue.... I am not being asked to "move" items into my account (as video shows).

• @JoePreis

If you log in at https://my.1password.com/ in a web browser and open your Personal / Private vault do you see all of your items there? It sounds like you aren't seeing that prompt because you've already added your account to 1Password for Mac, and potentially have already completed the migration. I mentioned this might be the case in my previous post.

We offer support via this forum and via email. Since we've already got a conversation established here I'd recommend we continue that way, but if you'd prefer email we can arrange for that.

Ben

• JoePreis
    JoePreis
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. I reviewed a lot of videos, figured out how the different versions of 1Password present things and cleaned things up manually. Not a simple transition, but it's done.

• I'm glad to hear it worked out in the end, and I'm sorry that it wasn't as smooth a transition as would've been expected. We'll continue to evaluate the migration process for areas in which we can improve.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.