Master Password works in Chrome extension, but not on Desktop App?

Options

Hi,
I am a Windows and Android User. For some reason, my master password works fine on my mobile and with the chrome extension - but the desktop app won't let me in, saying I have got the wrong password?
Any idea, how this could be so?
--> I have de-installed the desktop app already, re-started the computer, installed the desktop app again - same thing.
So, now I can only work with 1Password on my mobile phone or via the chrome extension, but not with the desktop app...very frustrating.
Any solutions?
Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3.7.1.2
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: One Drive

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jaya,

Thank you for getting in touch!

I am a little confused. I can see that you use 1Password X in Chrome (which requires a 1Password account), but then you mention that you use One Drive as Sync Type. Do you use 1Password with 1Password account or with a local vault? Please specify.

If you are able to unlock 1Password X in your browser, you should be able to sign in to your account on 1Password.com. If you can do that, please try to start over with 1Password 7 for Windows on your computer and set it up from scratch.

Let me know if my hunch is correct here. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• Jaya
    Jaya
    Community Member
    Options

hi greg,

thanks for getting back and sorry for the confusion.

the problem i stated, is actually the problem of my boyfriend:
    it is his pc, his android phone and i have invited him to join my family subscription of 1password some time ago.
    he is using the extension in google chrome (no problem), he is using the app on his phone (no problem), but his desktop application doesnt work and won't let him in with his master password.

does the latter possibly only work, when you are the actual owner of the subscription (ie. me)?.
    On my pc everything works fine, including my android phone...that's why i have been recommending 1password to my family, because everything has been working flawlessly

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jaya: If you invited your boyfriend and he joined your family account, he should be able to use his account in 1Password 7 on his PC. Have you tried starting over and setting in up from scratch, as I instructed above? Does it work for him after that? Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• austincloudguru
    austincloudguru
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. I am able to log in via my Macbook, all my IOS devices, and the web browser, but I can't long in via the Windows app. I have even tried logging into the web app and clicking on the "Get the Apps-> Add Your Account Directly" and then copying my password directly from the web app and pasting it, and I get "Your sign-in address, email address, Secret Key, or Master Password is incorrect.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @austincloudguru,

Am I right to understand that you are able to sign in to your account on 1Password.com in the browser on your Windows PC, but 1Password 7 for Windows shows you this error even if you click "Add your account directly" button and enter only your Master Password? This is quite strange.

Have you installed the latest version of 1Password 7 for Windows? Do you have any specific network software that might prevent the connection to our servers?

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• austincloudguru
    austincloudguru
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, you are correct. It is extremely odd. It is a work provided laptop, so I haven't ruled out that they have something installed on it that is blocking my connection, although I would have thought I would get a different error message. I've tried the latest version, the one right before, a 7.2 version, and a 7.0 version, all with no luck. When I look at the logs, I see:

W104258msThreadId(5)1Password::api:1604 │ 104258ms │ get_account_by_server_email: sql
    I104279msThreadId(5)1Password::workspace:158 │ 104280ms │ notifier not connected for account 7
    I104517msThreadId(5)1Password::api:1694 │ 104517ms │ > authorize account #7; account uuid: bh3jdi4jf4fbdiheckxr22xkjq; device uuid: dyhoolv4qzlkungwpixz6sfroy; user uuid:
    > HTTP auth
    > HTTP POST device
    register device: False
    time: 236ms
  • The error messages you'll see in the desktop app aren't always going to be the most helpful, @austincloudguru. Reason being if there is a wholesale block the only thing the desktop app knows is it didn't get a proper response. It won't know why, so it does its best with the lack of info and simply lets know you know it couldn't authenticate because that's all it knows. We'd likely have to take a closer look at more logs to know for sure, but work PCs do sometimes mean traffic is rather limited. If you'd like, we can move things over to e-mail and take a closer look at the logs, but I should mention that 1Password X has no need for the desktop app and is designed to give you a complete and usable 1Password experience entirely in your browser. If you don't have a particular need for the desktop app on this device, you can also just stick with 1Password X. Totally up to you. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.