1P periodically asks for password when it shouldn't

1pgirl
1pgirl
Community Member
edited June 2010 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
1Password 3.2.3, iMac G5, 10.5.8, Safari 5.0
All Security Preferences unchecked except Clipboard Security (90s)

After an interval whose exact duration I can't pin down, 1Password asks me for the master password even though my auto-lock preferences are off. At least once a day I get asked for it. I can't reproduce it on command, nor is there an obvious interval ("every 24 hours"). Is there some hidden timer not covered by the Preferences? 1Password 2 didn't do this, I've only had this problem since upgrading.

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    The issue you're seeing may be more due to the wording on the Security preference pane than anything else. You see, if you have all those items unchecked, if you launch your browser for the first time after logging into your OS X account you'll be prompted for the 1Password Master Password. Then, even while the browser remains running if you launch the 1Password application it too will prompt you. And the opposite is true as well, and so forth if you launch a different browser on occasion.

You might want to review the online documentation for this pane on this web page:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/preferences_security.html

I think for what I can gather, you'll want to put a check in the first two boxes in the Unlocking section... and perhaps even in the third one as well (although we don't recommend that you do).
  • 1pgirl
    1pgirl
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    MartyS wrote:

I think for what I can gather, you'll want to put a check in the first two boxes in the Unlocking section... and perhaps even in the third one as well (although we don't recommend that you do).

1Password always asks for my password when I check those boxes. If that's the behavior the wording for them should read "Disable automatic lock" not "disable automatic unlock". Either way it doesn't fix the original problem.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    To make sure I'm understanding properly the goal you have, do you want to never be prompted for your 1Password Master Password ever, or only that you don't want to be prompted for it more than once during the life of your OS X account's login session no matter if you are running a mixture of 1Password and the browsers it integrates with? I know that you said there doesn't seem to be any pattern for the prompt but there has to be a reason behind it: we just need to figure out what that is.

Could you please take a screenshot of your 1Password Security Preferences window so we can see the settings? You can take a screenshot by pressing ⌘⇧3. This will take a picture of your screen and save it to your Desktop. You can attach it to your forum post of send it to us by email to support@agile.ws but if you do that please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can 'connect the dots'.
  • 1pgirl
    1pgirl
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    "you don't want to be prompted for it more than once during the life of your OS X account's login session no matter if you are running a mixture of 1Password and the browsers it integrates with"

That's it. Here's a copy of my Security Preferences Window:

1P%20Security%20Preferences.tiff?variant=raw
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    1pgirl wrote:
    "you don't want to be prompted for it more than once during the life of your OS X account's login session no matter if you are running a mixture of 1Password and the browsers it integrates with"

That's it.

Do you have any feel for how often you are being prompted now? Is it every time you launch a browser? If it's in the browser, which one (Firefox has its own 'master password')?

I'm not certain it will tell us what we need to know, but *after* the next time you are unexpectedly prompted could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? This will help us track down the issue more quickly. You can generate the report from 1Password by clicking the Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report... menu item and then sending the report to us at support@agile.ws using Mail.

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can 'connect the dots'.
  • 1pgirl
    1pgirl
    Community Member
    edited June 2010
    It doesn't ask every time. I've attached a PDF of the diagnostics. I hope it gives you something to work with, because I found an interesting behavior: when Safari presents me with an unlock popup, starting 1Password (a) turns off the popup and (b) resets things so Safari won't present the popup again. I didn't have to do anything special in 1Password, simply executing it is sufficient.
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    1pgirl wrote:
    It doesn't ask every time. I've attached a PDF of the diagnostics. I hope it gives you something to work with, because I found an interesting behavior: when Safari presents me with an unlock popup, starting 1Password (a) turns off the popup and (b) resets things so Safari won't present the popup again. I didn't have to do anything special in 1Password, simply executing it is sufficient.

Please don't attach any diagnostics report to any forum, they contain a lot of your private logs as well as license information that should not be shown to everybody. I have emailed the Agile team and hopefully they'll be able to remove it right away. If you want to send the diagnostic report, you have to do it via their email form.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks, MikhailT!
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    1pgirl wrote:

As MikhailT indicated, your attachment might have "sensitive" information. Could you please send the report to us at support@agile.ws using Mail.

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can 'connect the dots'.
  • 1pgirl
    1pgirl
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    MartyS wrote:
    As MikhailT indicated, your attachment might have "sensitive" information. Could you please send the report to us at support@agile.ws using Mail.

Oops, didn't know that. Sorry. Didn't you download my PDF before deleting it?
  • 1pgirl
    1pgirl
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Another interesting item. It appears that when this happens I can type in a bogus password in the popup and 1Password will still perform its fill.
This discussion has been closed.