1Password7 is confusing me.

kiwigrant
kiwigrant
Community Member

I recently moved to 1 password 7.

I am logged into 1 password on two of my IOS devices.
I resent my master password which seems to work when opening 1password on both of my iOS devices.
When I try to view my 1Password account on either of my IOS devices in order to access my secret key Settings>1Password Accounts> We found 1 account - As I try to enter what I believe is my current password or prior ones it will not let me into my account.

On my Mac - there is a different password.
On my mac the 1 password vault doesn't not seem to be tied into my account (It is a vault from a prior version) I can't add the 1paasowrd account because I cant access account information and the secret key)

Incidentally I recall I was unable to use the QRcode feature, because the Mac version of 1 password, did not recognize the camera on my cinema display.

Now Im just really confused.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @kiwigrant! I'm sorry for the trouble. Do you have a vault called "Primary" on any of your devices? I notice you list your sync method as Dropbox, which wouldn't be the case if you have a 1Password account. That may explain the difference in Master Passwords: if you first began using 1Password a while ago with standalone data and Dropbox sync, you would have used a Master Password at the time you set that up. If you've recently created a 1password.com account, you would've been asked to create a Master Password for that as well -- and although you can use the same one as you used previously, you're not required to. Does that sound possible? To check, try visiting https://my.1password.com in a browser on your Mac, and signing in that way. Are you able to?

• kiwigrant
    kiwigrant
    Community Member

I resolved my own problem by remembering my master password for the subscription account.

Here is what I found confusing:
    My master passwords on my cloud account can be and was different from my legacy "Vaults" which was being synchronized via dropbox. (ala 1P6)

I resolved the QR code activation of the cloud account by login starting up a Photo Booth app and then moving the scanner over the image of the bar code. (for some reason I thought that 1P was trying to activate the camera.. (It wasn't self evident)

I think Im almost there now ... I just have to resovle some issues with autofill which seems to have gotten broken.

• kiwigrant
    kiwigrant
    Community Member

Thanks Lars - I think Im all set now.
    I have to say I have been a ipassword fans for many years and this migration process and moving to a subscription model almost lost me.

It is such an integral part of my workflows I cant function if 1P doesnt function. Can you imagine having to fill in all those personal details over and over again in ones daily.

I have to say - I found the price to be a bit steep for loyal user and upgraders. It might have been an easier upgrade if there was a free 1 year subscription option for upgraders.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kiwigrant: Indeed, you can setup different Master Passwords for different things, so it's important to keep track of that if you do. There's no penalty at all for trying multiple times if you get it wrong though, so I'm glad you were able to figure out which you used. :)

The camera on you device can be used by 1Password to scan the Setup Code, but it also has a window you can use to do that from, say, your account's profile page displayed in your browser. And of course it can also be entered manually if necessary.

I am not sure I would agree that 3$US per month is "steep", especially considering you get all the apps and updates, automatic offsite backup for your 1Password data, and many other security and convenience features, but I'd encourage you to reach out to sales@1password.com in case there's some promotion you're eligible for.

Anyway, I'm glad that you were able to persevere and get things setup, and the good news is that it will be much easier for you to setup 1Password on any device going forward since now you just need to sign into your account. Cheers! :)

• kiwigrant
    kiwigrant
    Community Member

@Brenty - Thank you for your response and for calling me out to the steep comment. I misread the annual price as the monthly price my bad.

The price is right given the support and background for you do to help me manage the chaos and staying secure.

You know you offering is valued when it is sued countless times a day is is an indispensable component of you daily workflows.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kiwigrant - good heavens, I hope we're not "sued countless times a day." ;-) (I know, that was a typo, I just couldn't resist).

We're glad you enjoy 1Password and we're always here to support you. :)

This discussion has been closed.