On some of my machines I have to use my old master password. How can I update this problem?

OnePswrd
OnePswrd
Community Member

I recently moved from 1PW6 to 1PW7. I am having problems with the master password. In some machines it's my old one. My wife's machine doesn't accept her 'sharing' master password. How do I get these things to sync and work where and when they're needed?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:On some of my machines I have to use my old master password. How can I update this problem?

Comments

• OnePswrd
    OnePswrd
    Community Member

I recently upgraded from 1PW6 to 1PW7. I have a Families version, I think. We chose new passwords to replace one 1PW6 account. I am finding I have to use my old 1PW6 password on 1 of my machines. My wife is not getting her 1PW7 account when she attempts to use 1PW. My account usually shows up and she calls me to enter the password. How do we get things straight so all computers and phones and iPads are on the same page? How do we get my wife's 1PW account to show up on her computer?

1Password Version: 7.4.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.13.6
    Sync Type: Unkn
    Referrer: forum-search:On some of my machines I have to use my old master password. How can I update this problem?

• Hi @OnePswrd

I'm sorry for the trouble.

I am finding I have to use my old 1PW6 password on 1 of my machines.

This can be resolved by removing the Primary vault:
    https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

How do we get my wife's 1PW account to show up on her computer?

First please verify that she is able to login in with her account at https://my.1password.com/ in a web browser on a computer and that she sees all of her data there. If she can, please have her print a copy of her Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Armed with that, please select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. Then log into her account using the information from the Emergency Kit. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @OnePswrd!

On the machines where 1Password unlocks with your old Master Password, do you by chance have your old Primary vault inside the app?

• OnePswrd
    OnePswrd
    Community Member

That's possible. I tried to delete all of the old 1PW6 software that I could, but i'm guess some remains.
    How to find it and delete it is the problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@OnePswrd:

You can open the 1Password apps that are unlocked with your old Master Password, and remove the Primary vault from there. To remove your Primary vault, choose the Vault menu > Switch to Vault > Primary. Then choose the Vault menu again > Delete Vault.

• OnePswrd
    OnePswrd
    Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for the help.
    When I click your support link and the sign in I get the below webpage. I do not see a menu bar or vault link. What am I doing wrong?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

@OnePswrd:

Please open the 1Password for Mac desktop app to do this. You are currently logged in to 1Password.com in a browser, but you will find the app menus inside the desktop app instead.

I have also merged the two discussions you created in a single one, so we don't duplicate answers.

• OnePswrd
    OnePswrd
    Community Member

Thanks again! This is the support I have learned to expect from AgileBits since I began using 1PW in about 2005.
    I've seen lots of changes over the years. All have been improvements in 1PW performance.
    I have done limited testing of the changes you suggested due to time limitations. All seems to be working well for now. I'll get back if new problems develop.
    Big, big thanks, again!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @OnePswrd! And thank you for the kind words :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.