How do I keep link item names when moving items w/ attachments from local vault to familyplan vault?

bdmesh
bdmesh
Community Member

I have v6 on my Mac that I've been using with a stand alone vault for a couple years. I just created a family plan and want to migrate all my data to vaults that I've created there. However, if I try to copy over an item with attachments, they become links. I've seen a few comments about the change over... not a fan in general, but that aside, I have one big immediate problem blocking my migration. When the attachments become links, in all web/app experiences but the app/mac that I used to move the items, links all show up in the parent records as "Imported Attachment". (Not a problem if I create new items/links in the new vaults). In records that have 10-20 links, this is problematic in that I can't tell which is what. I can of course unlink/relink which seems to resolve the naming problem. However, I have a few hundred attachments/links and that could take hours to fix. How do I maintain naming of attachments/links in a large scale migration of data?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:"Imported Attachment"

Comments

• bdmesh
    bdmesh
    Community Member

Actually, it looks like it's just the web browser that shows no hint of attachment/link names - still would like to resolve

• Hi @bdmesh,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience here. It isn't common to have more than a couple of attachments on an item, and as such the migration process wasn't designed to account for items with 10-20 attachments. As you've found, they should still migrate okay, but indeed the naming convention is less than ideal. I wish I had a better solution to offer but unfortunately I think the best I have to offer would be the unlink/relink process you mentioned, or renaming the links as appropriate.

We'd be interested to hear more about how you're using attachments / Documents, so that hopefully in the future we can better account for such use cases. As I say we didn't really anticipate folks having items with 10+ attachments on them.

Thanks.

Ben

• bdmesh
    bdmesh
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. You’re right that the 10-20 attachment scenarios is less... that’s mostly for identities and all documents for each family member (drivers licenses, passports, permits, etc... fronts and backs of each ). Most of the things with attachments have more like just 1-2. So in those cases I suppose it’s not so bad as it’s not too much of a pain to try one and then the other... it’s only the ones with a bunch where it’s hard to keep track of which you’ve already looked at as you try to find just what you need.

So suppose this just turns into a big fix request as it’s apparent both that migration names do work for some experiences and this seems limited to migration only (new attachments work in that client)

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

This discussion has been closed.