Best way to migrate?

Nabby
Nabby
Community Member

I'm a longtime user of 1Password as a standalone app. I've used it since version 3, and currently run version 6 on my Mac and use the dropbox syncing for 1Password on my iOS devices.

I've reached the point in life where I really need to assist my parents with their digital life and am moving to the Family subscription. (PSA here: If you haven't already had this discussion with aging parents, please do so. My father suffered a brain injury and we have spent a HUGE amount of time trying to crack his code for all of his user IDs and passwords he kept in a spread sheet. I urged him to use 1Password previously, but never kept on him about it. I wish I had! End PSA).

I am also upgrading my Mac at home, so now I'm trying to figure out the best way to make the purchase/migration happen. I currently have nothing installed on the new Mac yet.

What is the best way to convert my existing account? Should I use the old Mac as the initial install and upgrade, then add the new Mac? Should I just do a fresh install on the new Mac and export/import the vault?

Once I have everything setup for myself, then I'm good bringing my parents onboard.

Any advice on the best way to proceed would be great!

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Nabby! Welcome to the forum!

What is the best way to convert my existing account? Should I use the old Mac as the initial install and upgrade, then add the new Mac? Should I just do a fresh install on the new Mac and export/import the vault?

Both of these options will work, but perhaps the first option will be a bit easier, since you already have 1Password installed there. 1Password 6 supports 1Password Membership accounts, so I recommend doing this:

1. Sign up for a 1Password Families account
    2. Add this account to the existing 1Password app on your Mac
    3. Migrate your items from your Primary vault to your new account vault

At this point, on your new Mac you can simply install 1Password (you can already install 1Password 7 at this point), and add your account to that app too, so that the two are in sync.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.