To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Sync problems and general confusion

jaysher
jaysher
Community Member

I'm not even sure where to post this but I've spent way too much time trying to figure things out. I had 1Password for many years, and everything worked great including syncing across devices using dropbox. I finally decided to upgrade to 7 bec of the Safari extension problem. So I upgraded and purchased a license.

Things seem to be working okay except I just realized it's not syncing to my devices (I added a new password on my Mac last night but couldn't access it on my iPhone). I've tried going through your support pages but get more confused than ever.

I can't even understand the difference between a license and membership or an account? Is that relevant to this problem?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.14.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jaysher!

A Membership is paid with a subscription. If you have a Membership, you have a 1Password account with a lot of features that the standalone options doesn't have. Automatic sync is one of them, so you don't have to rely on Dropbox to do it.

If your Dropbox sync is not working anymore, I recommend going through the troubleshooting steps for Dropbox here.

• jaysher
    jaysher
    Community Member

I went through the troubleshooting guide and even deleted and reinstalled dropbox on my iPhone - still doesn't work. I realize you say you're unable to troubleshoot beyond the scope of the article but let me at least run this by you:

Everything worked fine for four years on the old system, then when I upgraded to 1Password 7 it stopped syncing. So what's different? When I go to my Mac's Finder > Dropbox > 1 Password, there are two files: "1Password.agilekeychain" which was created June 7, 2015 (when I started with 1Password) and "1Password.opvault" which was created October 11, 2019 (when I upgraded to 1password 7).

Can this be related to the problem? My devices are still syncing to the older thing?

I'm still unclear why I want a membership, if I can just get the syncing back working like it has. Am I to understand it's $2.99/mo for individuals? Would that be on top of the license I bought or was that unnecessary if I go to a membership?

• jaysher
    jaysher
    Community Member

Also when I go to 1Password Preferences > Sync, it shows it is set to sync with "Dropbox > 1Password > 1Password.opvault"

When I go to the 1Password app on my iPhone > Settings > Sync and press "sync now" it says it's syncing but I know it's not working because I had added a new password on my Mac, and it's not showing up on the app on my iPhone.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jaysher:

Can this be related to the problem? My devices are still syncing to the older thing?

Yes, I think that's why you are seeing this. 1Password 7 does not support the old .agilekeychain format anymore. It now uses the newer and more secure .opvault format. If your other devices still point to the old.agilekeychain file, they won't sync anymore since 1Password 7 is using a different file.

If you want everything to be in sync again, you should update your other 1Password apps too, and make sure they use the same .opvault file that 1Password 7 uses.

I'm still unclear why I want a membership, if I can just get the syncing back working like it has. Am I to understand it's $2.99/mo for individuals? Would that be on top of the license I bought or was that unnecessary if I go to a membership?

You certainly don't need both, so if you decide to go with a Membership and you have just recently purchased a license, we can help you transfer that amount towards your subscription so you don't need to pay twice ;)

• jaysher
    jaysher
    Community Member

Ah - that fixed it! I had suspected this was related to the problem but hadn't been able to figure out which file the devices were "pointing to" and how to change it. After your response I deleted the old agilekeychain file (I had been afraid to before), then my devices gave me the error message "the agilekeychain file cannot be found. Syncing has been disabled." THEN I was given the opportunity to establish the opvault file for syncing, and it is working.

Thanks for your patience and assistance. BTW I just got an iPhone 11 and I love the facial recognition for opening 1Password. And I thought the thumbprint was easy . . .

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @jaysher! I am happy that I could help :) And thank you for the kind words too.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• W4TSON
    W4TSON
    Community Member

So I am currently subscribed to the $3.99/mo. subscription tier. Basically the problem that I'm having is yesterday I went to sign in to a website using 1password on my MacBook and noticed that it said that the website had been compromised. So I proceeded to change the password to that website on the MacBook and saved it. Anyway later on I went to use the app for that website that I have downloaded to my iPhone and noticed that the password hadn't updated on the iPhone app. What I think the problem is is that I had originally bought a standalone license for my iPhone a while back and must not of followed the proper steps after subscribing in order to allow them to communicate back and forth with each other. I have also noticed that when I look at the vaults that I have on my MacBook that there are 2. 1 is a personal vault and the other one is a primary vault. With the primary vault I am syncing it through iCloud. But on my iPhone I only have 1 vault. I'm thinking that's where the problem lies. I'm not sure if I need to sign out of my iPhone app and then sign in again to have it update to the subscription model or if I need to do something else. I hope you can help me. Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@W4TSON:

I have also noticed that when I look at the vaults that I have on my MacBook that there are 2. 1 is a personal vault and the other one is a primary vault. With the primary vault I am syncing it through iCloud. But on my iPhone I only have 1 vault. I'm thinking that's where the problem lies.

You are correct: this is indeed the problem. You need to move all your data from your Primary vault on iCloud to your 1Password.com vault, so it syncs automatically with all your devices.

With a 1Password Membership, there is no need to use a second sync method (iCloud in this case) ;)

• W4TSON
    W4TSON
    Community Member

This might be a stupid question and I did watch the video in the link above but I'm still a little confused. I'm only showing the one vault on my iPhone. How exactly do I go about having the personal vault show up there to make my devices communicate better? Do I delete the 1password app on my iPhone and sign in again? Do I sign out and then back in? I'm just confused a little and I don't want to do something that causes me to lose all of the passwords I have saved. A while back I had an iPhone and had bought a standalone license and then moved to android and bought another standalone license. Well anyway when I moved back to iPhone earlier this year I ended up having to take pics of all of the passwords that were in the android app on my iPhone because I couldn't get it to sync over. I really screwed it up then it seemed like. Anyway, I want to get this right and not screw it up again. Sorry to have you explain it so much but I want to make sure it all works out. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@W4TSON:

How exactly do I go about having the personal vault show up there to make my devices communicate better?

You need to login to your 1Password account in the app.

Do I delete the 1password app on my iPhone and sign in again? Do I sign out and then back in?

No, you don't need to do any of this. Just add your 1Password account to the app and your Personal vault will show up ;)

• W4TSON
    W4TSON
    Community Member

Ok this isn’t helping. I used the QR code from my MacBook when I went to the add existing account and it said incorrect login information. This just isn’t helping. Maybe there is a disconnect between what your telling me to do and what I’m doing but it isn’t working. I also turned off iCloud for 1Password on my iPhone and deleted all iCloud data from there which didn’t really affect any of the data that I have locally on my iPhone and was getting ready to delete it from my MacBook but hesitated. Because I’m not sure what it will do on there being that there are 2 vaults on that one. I’m sorry I’m not understanding what your telling me but this is getting frustrating.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

@W4TSON:

Please send us a diagnostics report from your Mac and one other diagnostics report from your iPhone so we can take a closer look at how you have configured your apps so far. This will help us understand what you have done before reporting this issue.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

ref: ALR-75719-333

• MsQueen
    MsQueen
    Community Member

This is the issue I've been having too. I sent an email to support and I've been waiting days for a response to transfer my standalone purchase to membership because my sync stopped working for iCloud and Dropbox due to the 1Password Membership Account.

• @MsQueen

I'm sorry to hear about that. Could you please post the support ID you received from BitBot so I can look up your ticket?

Ben

• MsQueen
    MsQueen
    Community Member

I guess it's this [#MRE-14957-655]

• Thanks @MsQueen. I see your email has been routed to the appropriate folks, and that they are working on getting through a bit of backlog from the weekend. They should be with you soon. Thanks!

Ben

• MsQueen
    MsQueen
    Community Member

Okay. Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.