How to check what Licenses I've purchased over time

Options
diitto
diitto
Community Member

How does one currently check to see what licenses have been purchased over time. Back in January, 2017, I somehow came to learn to go here,

https://agilebits.com/home/licenses

and enter the email address (of record), click “submit” and then 1Password would email you a copy of all licenses ever purchased against that email address.

I did that back on January, 12, 2017 as I was embarking on deploying a new computer and it worked. I have the email 1Password sent me back with license info.

I tried the same link today and it goes to a 1Password page ok, this one,

https://support.1password.com/explore/membership/

but not one with any place to seek help on valid licenses, at least not without logging in to a page where I doubt I even have an account???

So how does one check licenses now???

That leads to a bigger and more confusing question about licenses, secret keys, 1password “accounts” and so forth but it’s such a confusing topic for me right now, I think I’ll start with this question while I endeavor to create another question to follow shortly about this more confusing stuff…. So let’s start with how to check licenses NOW.

thanks

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: do not know?
OS Version: macOS 10.15.1
Sync Type: NONE

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @diitto

Around February of 2018 we switched to Fastspring for managing standalone 1Password licenses. A while after that we decommissioned the systems that ran the old "Agile Web Store." For the privacy of our customers we destroyed most of the contents of the databases on those systems. If you purchased a license after February of 2018 you should be able to retrieve it by emailing support@1password.com. If your license was purchased prior to that, or you purchased from a 3rd party merchant (e.g. the App Store) it would be unlikely that we would have those records. We've never received details about individual customers who purchased licenses from the App Store. If you aren't sure, it wouldn't hurt to send the email and ask the question.

So how does one check licenses now???

I would highly recommend keeping your own records if historical purchase data is important to you. We do not guarantee that we keep purchase records for any particular length of time.

That leads to a bigger and more confusing question about licenses, secret keys, 1password “accounts” and so forth but it’s such a confusing topic for me right now,

You'd only have an account and associated Secret Key if you have a 1Password subscription membership. If you've never signed up for a subscription you wouldn't have those things. Membership is the recommended way forward for purchasing and utilizing 1Password in order to get the best experience. You can read more about that in the guide you linked, but we'll be happy to answer any questions that might arise.

Please let me know if can help further.

Ben

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, I do have 1Password license info going all the way back to 1Password 3. Some of those older ones had license keys but it looks like that at least for 1Password 6 and 7 (and maybe others), I have license that shows up as some sort of a saved "picture" like license that says "You are licensed, License: 1Password Mac, name: me, Purchased: July 5, 2019. Is that all I'm supposed to own and keep??? Whatever license info is offered when I buy or upgrade a version of 1Password, I always keep whatever license info I can find. But you guys are doing something with these license "picture" deals that just leaves me to wonder if I have all I need???

What I was more concerned about was what are the important things to have and keep. License info being one. I also posted separately questions related to "Secret Key" which ag_ana told me I do NOT have because I have ONLY stand alone licenses for both my Mac and iOS software. And nor do I have a 1password.com account for the same reason, that I only have a stand alone license.

So I think/hope I'm ok with my 1Password status. I will soon be buying a new mac and will want to import my 1Password vault, etc. to the new machine. I've done it before but I will likely have questions for you guys again..

thanks much... bob

• Ben
    Options

What I was more concerned about was what are the important things to have and keep. License info being one. I also posted separately questions related to "Secret Key" which ag_ana told me I do NOT have because I have ONLY stand alone licenses for both my Mac and iOS software. And nor do I have a 1password.com account for the same reason, that I only have a stand alone license.

Correct. I also mentioned that in the last paragraph of my reply above. :)

I do have 1Password license info going all the way back to 1Password 3. Some of those older ones had license keys but it looks like that at least for 1Password 6 and 7 (and maybe others), I have license that shows up as some sort of a saved "picture" like license that says "You are licensed, License: 1Password Mac, name: me, Purchased: July 5, 2019. Is that all I'm supposed to own and keep??? Whatever license info is offered when I buy or upgrade a version of 1Password, I always keep whatever license info I can find. But you guys are doing something with these license "picture" deals that just leaves me to wonder if I have all I need???

The latest versions of 1Password are licensed via a license file, rather than through a license key (text). Typically when you license a copy of 1Password using a license file that license information is added to the Software Licenses category of your Primary vault. Do you see that record?

So I think/hope I'm ok with my 1Password status. I will soon be buying a new mac and will want to import my 1Password vault, etc. to the new machine. I've done it before but I will likely have questions for you guys again..

You'll either want to have that record in your vault, if you'll be carrying the vault over to the new Mac, or have a copy of the license file itself. Ideally both, but at least one or the other. :+1:

Ben

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

I do see 4 of what I would assume are the 1Password license files you speak of, two of them are identical except they have times that differ by two minutes, both old, version 1Password 5.4 Beta-13. Interesting that they are both the same and Beta's??? Then there is one for 1Password 6.5.3 and then the one that counts which is 1Password 7.3.1... I make similar files by hand when I buy a new piece of anyone's software but yes, I would say those are made by 1Password as they have the 1Password icon in front of them. So yes, I see that record, I think.

How would I copy the license file itself as you say above??? I'm still not clear on just what the license file is?? Not a text file, nor a string of numbers/letters. A picture?? A container??? How would one find it to copy it... If I go into 1Password and click on "License" it opens what I know to be the license (a picture that says "You are Licensed" with my name etc and the nice picture of the 1password logo on the left. But what is it??? How would I "copy it"??? thanks...

• Ben
    Options

@diitto

If you have the file accessible to you in 1Password 7 you should see something like this:

Clicking on Show in Finder will open the Finder and select the file. You can then make a copy of that file for backup purposes.

I'm still not clear on just what the license file is?? Not a text file, nor a string of numbers/letters. A picture?? A container???

It is none of those things... it is a license file. It contains the information 1Password 7 for Mac needs in order to recognize you as a licensed customer.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.