Suggestions should prioritize logins over generated passwords

Something has changed in the most recent version of the 1password extension — now when I bring up the extension for a web page, the listing of "suggestions" seems to lump together both full-fledged logins for a site as well as generated passwords created for that site. I'm not sure how they're being sorted, but in many cases the generated password is listed first and so is the default item to be filled. This means it takes more keypresses or clicks to get to the right item. I'm not sure when this changed, but in previous versions of the extension it would always select a full login over other items. See attached screenshot.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ggilder!

the listing of "suggestions" seems to lump together both full-fledged logins for a site as well as generated passwords created for that site

Password items can also be filled, much like Logins, so that explains why they are listed there.

I'm not sure how they're being sorted, but in many cases the generated password is listed first and so is the default item to be filled.

I have tested this in my 1Password app, and in those cases where I still have both a Login and a Password item, the Login item is always shown first. So I wonder if this has something to do with the URL fields in your items.

If you look at the first Password item in your screenshot, is it possible perhaps that the URL field there is a perfect match to the current URL you are viewing in your browser?

• ggilder
    ggilder
    Community Member

@ag_ana hmm, good catch with the URL match, that does seem to be the case. I edited the login item to add a perfect match for the URL and that now gets selected first in the Suggestions. I guess that workaround is fine although I'm still pretty sure the behavior was different before. :smile:

Thanks for your help!

• jmn51
    jmn51
    Community Member

Regarding the upgrade to Mac 7.3, "Suggested Items", and the mini browser: I used to rely heavily on always having my "Favorites" listed as the default set of choices. Now with Suggested Items the default is to non-useful sites (for me at least). Now it requires an extra click on the pull-down menu to bring back Favorites. Can this be fixed or at least opted out of? Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ggilder - on behalf of ag_ana, you're quite welcome! Glad she was able to help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jmn51 - stay tuned. :) We've been listening to feedback from this most-recent set of changes to the 1Password for Mac mini (which were in turn changes made in part by feedback to the previous set of changes), and we've got a few new things in the works for the upcoming update. Nothing to announce on that score in terms of when you'll see it, but if you'd like to join us in the beta channel, that's where new features/fixes/changes appear first. You can enable beta builds by simply clicking Preferences > Updates and checking the box marked "Include beta builds," then clicking to do an update check manually.

• jmn51
    jmn51
    Community Member

Thank you. I'll stay tuned...

• ag_michaelc
    edited June 2019

Thank you. I'll stay tuned...

:+1: On behalf of Lars, you're welcome! You can also keep an eye on the release notes for any new beta releases. :smile:

• ryandickey
    ryandickey
    Community Member

My browser will not allow me to 'star' or quote posts on the forum it seems, so I just want to +1 this comment. This is a real annoyance. Thanks!

Regarding the upgrade to Mac 7.3, "Suggested Items", and the mini browser: I used to rely heavily on always having my "Favorites" listed as the default set of choices. Now with Suggested Items the default is to non-useful sites (for me at least). Now it requires an extra click on the pull-down menu to bring back Favorites. Can this be fixed or at least opted out of? Thanks.

• Hey @ryandickey, welcome to the forum! I appreciate the feedback and I'll take it back to the rest of the team. As we gather more feedback after the release of 1Password 7.3 and the new 1Password mini, we're seeing how we can further optimize things for people, and this is a request you're not the first person to ask about. 🙂 Keep an eye on our release notes for more (or for even faster changes, the beta release notes).

• someboredkiddo
    someboredkiddo
    Community Member

This is also driving me crazy. Showing generated passwords with Logins results in a lot of noise for website where multiple credentials may be used (ex. the AWS Console where one may be working with different accounts).

I would prefer there was a way to hide these generated passwords as being suggested in the mini app (or an option not to save every generated password. Is way to downgrade to the previous version of the 1password mini app?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @someboredkiddo! Thanks for the feedback. I don't have anything to add beyond what's already been mentioned earlier in this thread, but we appreciate you adding your voice to this, and I'm sorry for the frustration.

Is way to downgrade to the previous version of the 1password mini app?

Not the mini, no, since it's part of the main app (and vice-versa). The two are not separate versions/downloads. You can certainly download an older version of 1Password and use that, but as a security company, we can't recommend it: our stance is for all users to keep their mission-critical software up to date, including their OS and browser(s), as well as 1Password.

• krijgsman
    krijgsman
    Community Member

I agree with all the users who complain about the "Generate password" button. The problem is that 1Passwd, if you are not careful, the newly generated password is stored automagically and you lose the old password to the history.
    Thanks to a bug, I can not access previous passwords (latest 1Passwd on latest MacOS)
    Thanks to an old, unlinked, 1Passwd6 installation I was able to retrieve the actual password. This is not how 1Passwd7 is supposed to work!

This button is GREAT, but simply move it where it makes much more sense, on the same line where "Pin on screen" and "Edit" is located. That way you never accidentally click on it and the button is always available!
    Make the text "Search" as a header within the actual search result and you save space (great on small laptops!)

I hope my two cents are worth anything.

Cheers,
    Dirk

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@ryandickey: In 1Password 7.3.1 we added a new preference pane to 1Password's preferences titled Mini. In there you can change the default view from Suggestions to Favourites although if we're talking about filling the current tab I would like to better understand what you're seeing in case there is a scenario we've overlooked or we have a classification issue we need to file for a specific site.

@someboredkiddo: Password items are primarily generated as a result of using the password generator, they act as a safety net should the password be used but something goes wrong and 1Password does not update an existing or save a new Login item. If 1Password prompts and a Login item stores the new password the Password item is deleted. We do this because the last thing anybody wants is to change a password for a site or service to something insanely complex only to get locked out as a result. Are those password items ones you need to retain or could they be deleted? I do find it curious that the new interface has made users more aware of the Password items as their creation isn't something new, 1Password has been doing this since at least 1Password 4 for Mac.

@krijgsman: Any time you update a Login item the previous password is retained as each Login item has a password history with the timestamp being when it was moved to the history section. Simply clicking the + Generate Password button should not result in any kind of data loss. It is possible I'm misunderstanding the issue you're trying to communicate and if that is the case please do let me know.

• krijgsman
    krijgsman
    Community Member

@littleboddytales:
    I'm afraid you misunderstood. The update went fine. But thanks to the in-uative GUI of the mini-browser, I accidentally click on "Generate Password" about 10% of the time. Such a button should just not be on that prominent place. In preferences I don't see a way to change the layout of the buttons on the mini-browser. Just some options to turn off (which is a good feature)

My complaint is about the new, prominent location of the button.

On a lot of forums (incl. Reddit) I am not the only one complaining.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@krijgsman: thank you for your feedback!

Can I please ask you what you are trying to click when you end up clicking on the "Generate Password" button by mistake? Perhaps there is another method to do the same thing that can help avoid the mistake.

• celos
    celos
    Community Member

I'd like to revisit and reiterate the need to be able to prioritize or order the suggestions in 1Password mini. I recently upgraded to 7, and it breaks years of muscle memory. When I login to my bank, the first item in the list is now the seldom-used security challenge question instead of the login itself. Changing what's displayed in 1P>Preferences>mini>Open 1Password to... doesn't provide the correct behavior, nor does trying to play with the name of the item itself to make it alphabetically earlier. Can we have either sort control or a restoration of the previous 1Password 6 (and earlier) behavior?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@celos:

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I have one question for you:

When I login to my bank, the first item in the list is now the seldom-used security challenge question instead of the login itself.

Have you considered storing security challenge questions directly inside the relative 1Password login item, so you don't have multiple entries related to the same login?

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

@ag_ana:

Do you have a reference guide on how one goes about adding security challenges to login items?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

To elaborate a little bit on my previous post: storing security challenges (or any other type of information) inside a Login item can be done with custom sections and fields.

In the case of security challenges, the answers could be stored as password fields, and the questions can be the labels. We also added a screenshot exactly about this use case in the documentation page :)

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Thanks @ag_ana. I routinely bookmark all the helpful support references and explanatory message threads posted here in my 1Password folder. It's getting to be pretty sizable!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Definitely a lot of useful resources. Glad Ana was able to help. :lol: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.