How to keep 1password unlocked for longer

Options

how can i control how often i have to unlock 1password?
for example, when i set the autolock timeout from the default 10 minutes to 120 minutes, how can i keep this setting instead of reverting back to 10 minutes automatically?

i notice that my Firefox add-ons include something called 1password X ver 1.16.2. Is that something that i can configure and set preferences seperately? Is 1password X something that is downloaded on my ipad and iphone too?

also, re: the following post to a closed thread, i do not see "File > Preferences" in my Firefox browser or the 1password app, so what screen is svondutch looking at? Or is there a different way to set the "Keep extensions unlocked when web browsers(s) are closed" option in the current version? Is there another way to set options/preferences that i am missing?

svondutch
February 2012 edited February 2012
I'm guessing you are closing your web browser(s) often. By default, this causes our extensions for IE and Firefox to lock.
Please enable this setting: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Browsers > "Keep extensions unlocked when web browsers(s) are closed"

Thanks.

Jim

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: 1password subscription
Referrer: forum-search:"Keep extensions unlocked when web browsers(s) are closed"

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jperchik,

Sorry for the confusion!

1Password X is our extension that works entirely in your browser, that is why the Auto-lock settings that you set in 1Password 7 for Windows do not affect it. If you want to increase Auto-lock timer for 1Password X, you will need to change it in 1Password X settings:

However, please note that 1Password X will lock if you restart your browser. If you don't want it to happen, you can uninstall 1Password X and install our companion extension instead. You can learn more about this extension here.

As for your iPad and iPhone, 1Password works differently there. Please check the following article to get a better idea of how:

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

Let me know if it clarifies this situation. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• jperchik
    jperchik
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, i notice two 1password icons in the Firefox tools, one with a blue circle and one black-and-white. There are also 2 items on the pull-down menu when i right-click on the userid field of a website login, one saying "Show 1password" and the other item just "1password".

Does that mean that i am actually running both add-ons, 1passweord X and the companion extension? That is sort of okay because they exhibit different auto-lock behaviors. Whenever either one is unlocked, i can use it to unlock the other.

In particular, the black-and-white 1password icon remains unlocked when Firefox is closed and subsequently brought back up, but it does auto-lock when the laptop goes to sleep. On the other hand, the blue-circle icon auto-locks when Firefox goes down and then comes back up, but does remain unlocked when the laptop goes to sleep (provided that Firefox was up at the time that the laptop went to sleep).

Other than the auto-lock behavior and some minor user-interface differences, are there any functional differences between the two versions?

Thanks.
    Jim

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jperchik: Yes, it does sound like you have two extensions installed: 1Password X and our standard companion extension.

Our companion extension doesn't have any information about your 1Password account and it requires a standalone 1Password app that you have to install on your computer. Auto-lock settings that you set in 1Password 7 for Windows affect this extension. You can learn more about how it works here:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

1Password X, on the other hand, is our new type of extension that works entirely in your browser. It doesn't need to connect to a standalone 1Password app, so it works independently (it allows 1Password X to work on Linux, Chromebooks, or work computers, where you can't install any software). You can learn more about 1Password X in the following article:

Get to know 1Password X

You can give both extensions a try and let us know which one works better for you. If you have other questions, feel free to raise them here. We are always at your service. :) Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.