To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Changed Master Password, but Chrome Extension still accepts the old one

I managed to change my Master Password logging in the 1password.com website, right after that, Chrome gave ma notification that my password for 1password isn't working, and if I want to correct it, I clicked yes and typed in the new password. But when I now use my Chrome extension (on Mac), it still only accepts the old master password. I removed the extension, installed it again, restarted my Mac, but still, it only accepts the old Master Password. I managed to change it on my Android phone and in my Mac app but the extension won't update the new password. Can you help me out please?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:change master password extension

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LydiaSlovakia: On which devices do you have a Primary vault in 1Password?

• LydiaSlovakia
    LydiaSlovakia
    Community Member

I'm not sure I understand your question, @brenty. I have the Mac app, the Android app on my Samsung and the extension for Google Chrome. By the way, I use a family account, I forgot to say that, and I am the owner of the account.

• @LydiaSlovakia

Please check each installation of 1Password for the presence of a vault called "Primary." You can use the vault switcher at the top left corner of the app to see which vaults are present. Also, you mentioned having 1Password v6 installed, but also that you have a 1Password Families membership. Membership gives you access to the latest version, which is v7. I'd highly recommend installing the new version.

Ben

• LydiaSlovakia
    LydiaSlovakia
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, thanks for your reply, but unfortunately, this hasn't helped. I installed the 1Password 7 and now when I sign in the Mac app, it takes the new master password. The website 1password.com also takes my new master password, but my Chrome extension still keeps accepting the old master password. I reinstalled it again, after installing 1password 7, but the problem remains. As for "Primary vault", I haven't found anything like that in my 1Password account.
    I'm wondering if this problem may be due to the fact that I first used 1password as a single user, and then changed to a family account. Maybe my old single account is somehow still active and the Chrome extension signs into that? It doesn't make sense to me why two access points accept the new password but the extension does not.
    Please help me solve this issue. I use the extension every day and I really want to make sure all my logins are safe. That's why I plan to change the master password once a year, but I need to be sure my old master password cannot be used to access my account any more.
    Thank you.

• @LydiaSlovakia

Thank for for that additional information and for looking into the details we requested. Is the extension you are using in Chrome called "1Password extension (desktop app required)" (v4.7.5) or "1Password X" (v1.16.2)? You can check by navigating to chrome://extensions in the Chrome address bar (as if it were a website).

Ben

• LydiaSlovakia
    LydiaSlovakia
    Community Member

Hi @Ben , it's 1Password extension (desktop app required).

• @LydiaSlovakia

Thank you for the information. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/109020/changed-master-password-but-chrome-extension-still-accepts-the-old-one#latest
    • Your forum username: LydiaSlovakia

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• LydiaSlovakia
    LydiaSlovakia
    Community Member

Hi Ben, here's the ID: [#ZTV-59341-621] Thanks a lot!

• LydiaSlovakia
    LydiaSlovakia
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, @nhat, and others, thank you very much for solving my problem. The issue was that I used to have a private account, then I created a family account, and stopped using the private one, but never deleted it from my profile. That's why the Chrome extension kept using the old master password which was the same for my private account as for my family account. Now that I deleted the private account, my new master password runs everywhere and the old one is not accepted anymore. Thanks a lot for the great support! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

Thanks for the update! I'm glad that Nhat was able to help get you sorted. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. :)

ref: ZTV-59341-621

This discussion has been closed.