Saved logins gone missing

Options

In the recent past (a couple weeks maybe) I have come across two or three logins that I am positive should have been saved in my account, but they were not found. I searched for them using a query that was part of the name and most likely also part of the url. At first I thought I was just mistaken, however I recently (past 3 days) had to create a new password for one of the missing accounts, and I used the password generator, created the new login and saved it in 1Password, and then went to retrieve it a few days later and there was no saved login info to be found. I am confident that I am saving these logins correctly, as I have been using 1Password for a couple years now successfully. I've noticed in the past that a login saved on one device takes a little while to transfer over to another device, but this login is not available on any of my devices. I was on a plane when I attempted to save the most recent login, so the internet was bad.

I use 1Password via the following apps/devices:

MacBook Pro 2017 using Mojave 10.14.5 - 1Password X version 1.17.5 (used this device to generate the most recent login)
MacBook Pro 2017 using Mojave 10.14.5 - 1Password 7 version 7.4.1
iPhone X, version 7.4.4, iOS 13.2 - 1Password X 1.16.2
MacBook Pro 2013 using Catalina 10.15.1 - 1Password X 1.16.2

Any idea what could be happening?

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: 1.17.5, 1.16.2
OS Version: OS X 10.14.5, 10.15.1
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:saved login missing

Comments

• cecelia
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hey there @purienne! Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out. Missing Login items sounds scary, but I'm determined to help you get to the bottom of this. The first thing that comes to mind is that perhaps these Login items are being saved to a vault that's not included in "All Vaults." Alternatively, I'm wondering if you have a vault selected in the 1Password X pop-up other than the vault which items are saved to by default. Let's start there:

First, can you open the 1Password X pop-up in your browser's toolbar, click the Settings "gear," and check if All Vaults is selected. If not, please select it, then try searching for the items once more.

If that's not the case, let's check if the default vault for saving new items is included in All Vaults. To get there, open the pop-up once more, select the same Settings "gear," then select Settings. On the page that opens, you'll see an option named "Save new items in." Please check if the vault that's selected there is also enabled in the "Accounts and Vaults" section below it on the same page.

Hopefully that helps. Let me know if not so we can investigate further.

• purienne
    purienne
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your help! I went through those steps and everything was already set correctly, however I did notice something that I believe is related to the problem. There's a message bubble in 1 Password X that says "Would you like to import your passwords into 1Password X?". From here, I went to check the desktop app, which I never use for browser password retrieval or saving, and I was able to find the missing login item from this past weekend. There's also a message bubble in the desktop app that says "Unable to establish connection with a 1Password desktop app. Install a desktop app from the 1Password downloads page." with a learn more link that goes to the download page.

Do you know how these login items ended up saved in the desktop app and irretrievable from the browser app?

Also, I looked in my chrome extensions and saw that I am actually using 1Password X Beta. I'm not sure if that is clear from the version number I listed. I have both beta and regular extensions installed but only beta enabled.

• purienne
    purienne
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, I just checked my browser 1Password app and was able to see the missing login item there as well. Maybe I fixed the connection somehow by opening up the desktop app and opening the browser app settings page? Or could searching for it in the desktop app cause it to refresh and update the browser app?

There are two weird things about this despite the login finally showing up:

• The desktop app shows that the creation date is today at 10:49AM, and last updated today at 10:50AM (I'm not sure what timezone that is, but it is 9:50PM where I am right now and it seems like it is referring to the current time). The desktop app shows both the creation and update dates to be today at 10:50AM. I created this login on Sunday, so both of these app are showing the wrong data.
    • There is no duplicate item, and I expected to find one since I created one on Friday of last week and then another one on Sunday. The login I was able to retrieve is definitely the one I created on Sunday because I remember leaving out the url, compared to the one that was supposedly created automatically for me on Friday.
  • Hey @purienne! I apologize — I must have missed before that you said you were on a plane when you created one of the Login items. 1Password X connects directly to the 1Password servers where your data is secured, so if there's no internet connection, changes made in 1Password X won't reach the server and those changes won't be reflected in your other 1Password apps and extensions, respectively, until both have connected to the internet.

Additionally, it doesn't sound like it, but if you clicked the "Would you like to import your passwords into 1Password X?" link and followed the instructions in the guide there and that lead to your Login items in question appearing in 1Password, that would mean those Logins were imported from the browser's built in password manager. It's possible those Logins were previously being saved in the browser's built in password manager rather than in 1Password. Those built in password managers can be sneaky sometimes!

Let me know if either of those sounds accurate.

This discussion has been closed.